IGNORED

Playdate-A new handheld console thingy

bear

The video did more to put me off tbh. It also ‘feels’ overpriced. But I still crave the next shiny, novelty thing to momentarily distract me from the abyssal emptiness that is my existence. So, yeah, still up for it.

Just now, jonamok said:

The video did more to put me off tbh. It also ‘feels’ overpriced. But I still crave the next shiny, novelty thing to momentarily distract me from the abyssal emptiness that is my existence. So, yeah, still up for it.

Put you off in what way? It showed the games, a new dock, and development tools. Seemed all positive to me if you're already interested in the thing.

1 minute ago, jonamok said:

It made me feel like a middle-aged twat for wanting one.

Which I am. Home truths hurt.

This might be the most British thing I'm reading today. 😅

38 minutes ago, MW_Jimmy said:

They want to manufacture 20,000 this year - I think for what they are trying to achieve here, it will be fine.

From their tweets after the Edge story, were surprised that there was even that much interest. They didn’t go with Teenage Engineering because they wanted this to be the next Game Boy after all.

1 hour ago, dumpster said:

This would be absolutely huge, a worldwide phenomenon, if it was £50 and available in mass quantity.  I think you have to keep it away from comparisons to consoles. It's not the new Gameboy, it's the new Tamagochi.  

£179, manufactured in small batches?  Don't see how it can possibly survive if I'm being honest. 

Source on the UK price?

17 minutes ago, matt! said:

I believe this is the largest screen of this type that Sharp manufacture. 

The screen refresh rate is the major bottleneck in my experience. Updating the whole screen every frame is very slow and limits your maximum frame rate. 

I had to work very hard to get around this limitation. After much work I have several tricks up my sleeve and am running at 60fps, which is double the default and higher than the advertised maximum.

The CPU is pretty powerful. I'm not short of CPU time. Though I'm sure you could easily max it out. 

Creating 1-bit graphics requires a different approach to anything I've done before. 

The screen alone costs ~ £40. 

Can you stop countering kneejerk hot takes with reasoned posts please. It's not what this thread is about.

What's their business model regarding the games? Like, is there going to be a season 2, and if so, will it cost more? Or will they be hoping that people make games on the Pulp browser system? If so, does that mean free games forever? It's an interesting idea but that bit seems unclear. 

Example, the manufacturer has paid people to make 24 games and that money will come from hardware sales. So you're either going to get more free games and the company goes bust, or there will be a season 2 but you pay for it, or, most likely it becomes a home programmable console for the enthusiasts.  I really like the sound of that.  

But I think as a fashion hipster thing with a crank on its ideal for Resident Evil games.

The dock with the built in pen holder is just so delightful. I've not really followed this project that much, but there's some genuinely lovey touches to it and a surprisingly robust set of games. With the included games and bespoke nature of the tech, I don't think the price is outrageous really. My wife will have me committed if another piece of gaming tech enters this house though and I'm not sure, "but this one has a crank" will be quite the persuasive argument I think it is. :lol:

3 minutes ago, dumpster said:

What's their business model regarding the games? Like, is there going to be a season 2, and if so, will it cost more? Or will they be hoping that people make games on the Pulp browser system? If so, does that mean free games forever? It's an interesting idea but that bit seems unclear. 

Example, the manufacturer has paid people to make 24 games and that money will come from hardware sales. So you're either going to get more free games and the company goes bust, or there will be a season 2 but you pay for it, or, most likely it becomes a home programmable console for the enthusiasts.  I really like the sound of that.  

But I think as a fashion hipster thing with a crank on its ideal for Resident Evil games.

I expect they’re going to wait and see.

But I imagine the plan is for a season 2 at some price - like… 20, 30, 40 bucks for another run of games?

I've just built a nice hue strip lit shelf for my home office. It's built to show off overpriced books + tat that looks gorgeous but never get used.

THIS IS PERFECT.

12 hours ago, yakumo said:

They make good stuff though, disgusting prices at times though.

Ah, didn't see this. In fairness to TE, they try to source their electronics locally instead of going to the Far East so the huge prices are a reflection of that, I believe.

The dock is all about the magnetic clip on/off function for me.

Looks perfect to sit next to the Little Printer I bought off someone on here years ago!

36533F88-17C9-4703-94E1-25A51B0E8C96.thumb.jpeg.5ecf4e1905b15c33404dfabaf61b9264.jpeg

:wub:

Any ideas about how long some of the games are or how many can be on the system at a given time? Are there any size limitations on games being created for it? Quite like the look of some of the more involved, narrative-driven stuff as opposed to the tech demos.

1 minute ago, DeciderVT said:

Any ideas about how long some of the games are or how many can be on the system at a given time? Are there any size limitations on games being created for it? Quite like the look of some of the more involved, narrative-driven stuff as opposed to the tech demos.

It’s got 4GB of space which is probably a lot for a device with such a low resolution display.

I think I've gone from "fuck this" to "I need it" quite quickly. 

To be honest and showing a bit of bias, the Edge magazine reveal and cover just put me right off as I have a bit of a distaste for the magazine. 

That new "Playdate direct" type video has sold me on the thing just sooo much more. It's a cool little simplistic toy! with a satisfying looking and unique interaction mechanic in the form of that crank! It's reminding me of the fun I had on the DS at launch with the likes of Project Rub or Electroplankton.

I like the "gift box" type delivery of games every week. It looks very cool. 

Yes, very hipster and lol Portland!

@deKay, I assume we can look forward to playing a crank-powered Advanced Lawnmower Simulator shortly after release? It could look right nice on that screen!

31 minutes ago, Wiper said:

@deKay, I assume we can look forward to playing a crank-powered Advanced Lawnmower Simulator shortly after release? It could look right nice on that screen!

I'd very much like to do this if there's a dev environment that suits the languages I know!

EDIT: Lua? I'm in!

The only thing that really concerns me about the machine (being pricier than I'd like aside) is the non-user-replaceable battery, which is a bit crummy. The crank looking eminently breakable is also a concern, but the hardwired battery is a guaranteed point of eventual failure for it, which is a shame.