Playdate-A new handheld console thingy

bear

I will say, I'm a little bemused that anyone hates it specifically because of the hipstery folks behind it; I mean, have you ever seen average console manufacturer's executives?*

Totally get people not liking the concept itself, of course, as it's very daft. Which is exactly what I like about it.

*or, well, any major corporation's executives

It looks like the people who made the device and the people who made the games had fun doing it. That's enough appeal for me. Exactly $179 worth of appeal. I'd need them to be having a bit more fun to stretch to $180 or more.

"High resolution acreen" Then shows 320x240

"Does it have a back light?" - "No but the screen is super reflective!" 

What the fuck? 

If I'm going to play a handheld in my spare time/traveling  then why the fuck would I pick this over my Rg351V and a million great games?

And that price? Ha! Good luck to them though. 

6 minutes ago, p1nseeker said:

Is it going to be for sale in the UK? 

Sure. And it will be £199, and only come in the limited edition union flag colours.

Source: DeKayLeaks

35 minutes ago, Made of Ghosts said:

My exact thought process. How the hell did they rope him in?

How the hell are you surprised at his involvement?

He’s not exactly been making Battle Royale games for High-end PCs up till now has he?

I’ve gone from ‘whacky but not for me’ to ‘hook it to my veins’ on this over the past few months. Love the update video. Priming myself for preorder madness. 

30 minutes ago, therearerules said:

Should have been a pencil sharpener.

Wait, so you dock it, and then the crank sharpens your pencils? That’s genius! 

Panic? Are you reading this? At least do some sort of pencil sharpening game. 

I absolutely love everything they've shown there. A celebration of the weird and wonderful when it comes to videogames. And I'll put myself out there and say I love the dock, exactly my kind of goofy bollocks. A shame about that price, and it would be nice if we could get physical demonstrations in areas so we can see how the screen and feel of the thing holds up outside of curated media.

It looks so much fun, I really want one and if I have the beans come release I may just get one. 

Bold words there from Fletch who’ll just get a “you want to spend how much on a what now?” from Mrs Fletch. 

I was mocking this thread... But then I also really want the Divoom and I'm waiting for it get cheap enough in Red.

image.png.1878cddd4b397a6b9232cd4245630f9c.png

It has a few games, pixel art app which you can contribute to (with animation as well) - but really it's a (decent) Bluetooth speaker and all the little keys are mechanical and the lever works too!

I really like the look of this now, with the dock, although presumably that's going to bump the price up a lot.

I kind of like the idea of having it on my bedside table and making myself a little podcast player "game" for it that can play audio files to help me sleep.

23 minutes ago, Gaz said:

I really like the look of this now, with the dock, although presumably that's going to bump the price up a lot.

I kind of like the idea of having it on my bedside table and making myself a little podcast player "game" for it that can play audio files to help me sleep.

That's a banging idea, would save me having a laptop making it's home on my bed for Podcasts.

Yeah this looks absolutely wonderful, and I think my kids would love it. £170 (I guess) feels a bit steep, but it's also hopefully not cheap and nasty, and the idea of getting a fresh new game on a regular basis really appeals.