rllmuk
robdood

Rolled Out! - Super Monkey Ball's 'Sonic Mania' moment.

I dunno man, my enthusiasm about a Sega-made monkeyball game needs a bit more than a trademark filing to get going.. 

• Upvote 2

I'm glad there's still a hunger for more of these and hope this is a success, but the thread title/Youtube video seems a bit hyperbolic. Sonic Mania's developer had a business relationship with Sega and a good reputation in that very popular game series' mod community. Getting enough support from the comparably-small SMB fan base seems like a challenge, and avoiding a cease-and-desist from Sega even more so.

• Upvote 4

2 hours ago, Sarlaccfood said:

Why in god’s name can I not just play the original on Switch?

The controller isn’t notched.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, robdood said:

Fan made, sounds great from this passionte youtuber's thoughts. 

Indiegogo is live https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/rolled-out-a-love-letter-to-super-monkey-ball#/

At the time of the above video, they'd only hit a feeble % of their goal.  They about doubled it now, but I, as a long time monkeyball fanboy, am putting my cash down. 

Great to see that this has smashed through the goal! Yay!

• Upvote 2

My fondest memories from the Monkey Ball games are the ones including Monkey Target. That mini game was amazeballs. 

• Upvote 7

I watched this video a couple weeks back. Maybe it's just the cynic in me, but it started sounding like an advert for a new game.

I might give it a go though, do like SMB.

• Upvote 1

Ok so I had a quick 20 mins on this last night.  It's very very early in terms of polish and there are some weird bugs but overall it's a really great new monkeyball game.  

It's been ages since I played the original, so I haven't tested this scientifically, but it does feel absolutely spot on.  Forcing jumps / etc and speedrun strats all present and as expected.  

The levels I played felt real good too;  and more along the SMB1 lines, rather than SMB2.  

• Upvote 2

30 minutes ago, parrapatheslapper said:

And is perfect for Switch with gyro and HD rumble.

It would be once they add the notches to the stick.

• Upvote 2

If they want to bring any game from the Wii of this type, it should be Kororinpa. Get us the GC Monkey Ball instead. 

• Upvote 6

Beggars can’t be choosers. I am grateful to Sega for their insulting offer. Gyro controls and online leaderboards will roll this a little closer to the good ones.

15 hours ago, DC Lemon said:

Beggars can’t be choosers. I am grateful to Sega for their insulting offer. Gyro controls and online leaderboards will roll this a little closer to the good ones.

It had gyro controls already. They didn't save it then, they won't save it now.

SMB2 was shit.  An exercise in frustration and luck and they even ruined Monkey Target.  SMB1 was *amazing* - like a perfect gamey game.  Sega had no idea what they had and every single game since SMB1 demonstrated that it was a fluke.

Why don't they just re-release SMB1?!  

• Upvote 3

10 minutes ago, scottcr said:

SMB2 was shit.  An exercise in frustration and luck

No luck necessary. If you think there was, you've not played it correctly.