rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
dumpster

Your views on collecting

I used to collect X-Files trading cards in my youth.  They had randomly printed "The Truth is Out There" in silver in the corners of some of the cards.  The idea, which certainly worked for me, was that you'd start collecting the cards and when you had a full set you'd notice that you had about a quarter of a full set of silver printed cards, so you'd continue to collect.  Eventually you'd have a full set of the shiny cards and look back at what it cost and think...  huh...

With games, there's the temptation to become a collector and you can do this in many ways. You can pick a format, try to get every game for that format that you can.  But do you collect, say, cartridges only, or do they have to be boxed? Do you have to have all the cardboard inserts, the instruction book, the leaflets for £1 off a Big Mac that came with Micro Machines....  where do you draw the line at something that forms part of your collection. If you download a complete romset, is that a collection?  It didn't take any effort to attain it so I'd suggest not.  But if you don't care about boxes, condition, shrink wrap and so on, surely every branch of CEX in the country has a better collection than you.  So is it worth being a collector if you don't aim to get every single title in a boxed, factory sealed unused condition?  And if you're attempting to get every single title for the sake of a collection, surely all you're doing is committing yourself to spending £500 on a copy of Mary Kate and Ashley's Horse Riding Simulator at some point in the future.  So is it even worth starting a collection?  

• Upvote 1

I’ve never been interested in collecting because I buy games to play - why fret about picking up every game on a system when you’re inevitably going to find yourself picking up some rubbish? The fixation on boxed and sealed copies is interesting too - I’ve been guilty of paying a little extra for boxed GBA games, because the packaging and fluff is all part of the nostalgic attachment... but when you’re buying sealed games so that they can live in a box with a bunch of other sealed games, it looks less like nostalgic attachment and more like hoping for some easy cash in the future.

The trend of re-releases is another thing: think of the guy who pays thousands for AES carts they won’t play and the person who buys Metal Slug Anthology for £20; will the Anthology owner really care if the games are a shonky emulation of something they’ll never feasibly experience?

The only collecting I’d be interested in would be maybe at a series level (although I don’t know what series - even something like Persona has some rubbish amongst the spin-offs and sub games), but I admire the lengths others will go to in order to build their collections...

• Upvote 1

I've begun to collect for the PSP but I stick to games I have an interest in playing, I'm not going to pad the collection out with FIFAs etc just to have the "complete" collection. Likewise I'm going to cut some corners. I have P3P as a digital title, I'd like a boxed copy but I'm not paying £80-£100 for it, especially when a Japanese copy is a quarter of the price.

I completed a Dreamcast PAL set but found the thrill had been in the chase so  sold that on. Then was well in my way into a PS Vita collection when Limited Run started releasing games which really killed it for me..so I sold it all...then I started to pick up PS3 games pennies but was buying any old rubbish so sold that and now I buy digital.

Many of the big collectors i know thinned collections and moved away  from full sets. Curation rather than collecting seems to be the thing. There was a huge rise in retro interest 5+years back and it just made sense  to sell up...some were sitting on collections that would pay off their mortgages that had cost them next to nothing.

• Upvote 1

Sold everything in 2012 but since have bought my top 10 games for the dreamcast as the cases and hardware are so nostalgic. DC looks real good over VGA too. 

The problem I have with collecting now is that there are so many ways to play old systems, especially the modded mini console route as you still get a kick out of using official pads and hardware, but with whole collections of games for peanuts. Compared to paying ebay prices for the originals, which let's face it are going to sit shelved for the majority of the year, It's simply way more convenient and cost effective to emulate old systems. 

Replacing my old aes games that sold for 50 quid back in 2012 would cost me triple or quadruple now. Too much. 

I barely have any old stuff, but I’d only really like to keep older games that are either ‘stuck’ or just plain better in their original version.

So things like Zelda: Link’s Awakening (really don’t like the colour version), Pilotwings 64 (never rereleased), Super Mario 64 (N64 controller), GTA: Vice City (soundtrack, and it looks better at PS2 resolution) etc etc.

Everything else I’ll gladly play some other way, often via PC/Mac Emulation it has to be said, as it’s so much easier to get NTSC versions and the emulation quality is often better than the official stuff.

Also, I throw out all game packaging, with discs going in a wallet and cartridges going in a drawer.

I only buy pretty much for 3 systems, SNES, PS1 and PS2. I counted I have 500 games for them in total but I enjoy every single one. Luckily all my stuff fits on two medium size bookshelves so it's not intrusive either. 

I like physical and original games. Any digital games I own I generally forget about. 

2309873-huge_video_game_collection.png

Succumb to your needs of plastic that drives you sleepless at night. You haven't lived unless you have a room so filled with video games, you can't even walk inside it. Because the floor, too, is video games.

And make sure they're all minty fresh. SEALED if possible. In the event someone else actually enters where you live (police or social services) they'll be no doubt impressed and browse for hours!

;)

Spoiler

less sarcastic post later

• Upvote 2

I'd never try to collect every game ever released for a particular console.

I collect for a few series, such as:

Kirby

Mario

Gameboy /Advance Wars

I also collect a few themes, such as:

Airport-related games

Food and restaurant-related games  

Games related to the legal profession

I also find it hard to resist an old racing game.

I've tried it a few times but I always found when it came to collecting piles upon piles of the crap titles I always gave up :lol: Closest I ever came was a full PAL NES set, think I was 4 games away from it and a load of the mega rares. But the remaining titles were hundreds and my interest was waning.

These days I tend to buy systems and a few games, get excited and then sell them on after a few weeks.

I'm a bloody nightmare when it comes to picking stuff up and then never playing it. I've recently had some purges however and I do feel a lot better for it.

I'm one of those people that love the idea of owning premium games, even if they're ones I'd never actually play because I don't like the genre, so I've been knocking that on the head recently.

I tend to largely focus on my Saturn, Xbox and DS collections, but also enjoy picking up titles for the Wii, SNES and Mega Drive.

On 18/05/2019 at 11:50, dumpster said:

But if you don't care about boxes, condition, shrink wrap and so on, surely every branch of CEX in the country has a better collection than you.  

No branch of CEX has a better collection than most retro collectors. Some here have better collection that gaming/ computing museums!

I collect because its a fun hobby, with a great community attached - and i like playing the games.

I have to restrict myself, now money isnt really a barrier, its not fun simply clicking "buy it now".

The only 'collection' I have is Game & Watch and that's mainly because they were always cheap and not that hard to find at car boot sales way back when. I've no intention of buying them all and what I have is a mixture of boxed and unboxed, but they fill up one of those four-shelf Ikea cabinets nicely for display. I guess I have about 30-35 of them, the panorama and tabletops got sold a long while ago when the lure of a 100-fold profit on outlay was too hard to resist. I love them as a slice of gaming history, curios that predate cartridges and reminders of my school days.

• Upvote 1

Really never understood collecting. I bought some everdrives and that's enough for me.

Truth is, most of any console's library is shit so what's the point in owning it :)

1 hour ago, bplus said:

Truth is, most of any console's library is shit so what's the point in owning it :)

Dreamcast, Neo Geo, and possibly 400 of the 600 Mega Drive games disagrees with you. :angry:

I see collecting as essentially a different hobby to gaming, with some crossover. Especially now that there are not only a lot more workable emulation options these days, but also ways to play roms on original hardware. So, if you just want to play the games, there are options beyond actually owning the physical game.

Collecting is exactly that. It's the pursuit of a complete set of whatever set it is you're trying to complete. The fact they're games is largely irrelevant, they could be model trains, beanie babies or the skulls of all who have wronged you.

Like I say, there is some crossover. I used to collect games to play. I had a list of games that I had either loved previously or had missed out on and wanted to play.

Thing is, I could understand previous frustrations "gamers" had with "collectors". If there was something "R@RE" you wanted to play, collectors could drive the price up to a point beyond what you'd want to pay. But I would say this isn't as much of an issue anymore, purely due to the aforementioned options for playing just about anything.

I collect sealed Shin Megami Tensei games, it’s more the thrill of the chase and trying to find games that might come up once or twice a year for a decent price. I also always get an unsealed copy to play as well as it’s my favourite game series.

I collect games for neogeo because it's my main gaming system. I prefer concentrated thought out collections instead of buying anything and everything retro. Tbh I'm not really into retro that much, or modern games.