Gamecube display options

Pavey

I really wish to play some of my old US GC games again, and currently have a US Wii with which to play them on, which has an HDMI adaptor on it. Is that the best option picture wise into (currently) a Panasonic plasma? 

Will an actual US GC with the HDMI adaptor I have seen for sale produce the same results, or should I persevere and try to get my softmodded Wii U (vWii) to play them - on the basis they took better when run through this, or is that incorrect?

Thanks.

There’s been a few articles about how advanced  the GameCube was by having digital video output engineered into it.

The best possible video would be the original Nintendo component cable, which is not only rare but very expensive (although in saying that, I think I’ve got a set somewhere that I picked up when the GC was first out and I lived in the States) but some clever guys have reverse engineered the cable (it contains a proprietary processor) and have now made an HDMI adaptor to give excellent video quality.

Theyre expensive - ranging between £70 to £120 but this would be your best option if you’re serious (check the GC had digital output as Nintendo removed it in later models)

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F273563034465

3 hours ago, gone fishin' said:

There’s been a few articles about how advanced  the GameCube was by having digital video output engineered into it.

The best possible video would be the original Nintendo component cable, which is not only rare but very expensive (although in saying that, I think I’ve got a set somewhere that I picked up when the GC was first out and I lived in the States) but some clever guys have reverse engineered the cable (it contains a proprietary processor) and have now made an HDMI adaptor to give excellent video quality.

Theyre expensive - ranging between £70 to £120 but this would be your best option if you’re serious (check the GC had digital output as Nintendo removed it in later models)

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F273563034465

Thanks mate, very informative. Has it been proven to be a better output than the Wii with a wii2hdmi adaptor?

3 hours ago, deKay said:

Best option will be via a Wii U.

By softmodding the vWii? That would certainly be the cheapest option for me.

Has it be proven to be better than the other options?

Every other video out would be via some sort of conversion, so I would expect direct HDMI would be a better option.

Pretty sure someone provided proof last time this was asked too!

3 hours ago, Pavey said:

Thanks mate, very informative. Has it been proven to be a better output than the Wii with a wii2hdmi adaptor?

Theres a really good digital foundry article about it here: https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.eurogamer.net/amp/digitalfoundry-2018-retro-how-forgotten-tech-powers-a-new-wave-of-gamecube-hdmi-adapters

As it’s based on a digital output, I’d say the quality would be better than the Wii2Hdmi option. But I guess it’s if you really want to play the best quality GC games or if you’re OK with a decent enough HDMI upscaling from the Wii.

Good article that, quite interesting. An official 3D screen for the Cube sounds like a winner, shame it never came. 

It does also also mention how the Wii2hdmi adaptors are not much cop, which is what i deduced too. 

Will try (again) to get the vWii modded. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 18/05/2019 at 09:52, gone fishin' said:

Holy crap - really?

Edit: I've just dug mine out!

gc_cable.jpg.2b02a7aa2a4a7d1111b8f828991da0ca.jpg

You mean this is actually worth proper £?? I wonder if there's anything else tucked away that's worth anything! Is there a useful resource / list of bits and games with a rough price list anywhere? 

Oh, I wonder if the broadband adaptor is valuable. To ebay!

• 8 months later...

I saw now Kaico has released a GC hdmi-thingie (~£60) so now I’m not sure what to choose: GCHD, Carby or Kaico. Hopefully someone will review the the latter to see how it compares, but afaik they all use the same source «code»?

On 10/02/2020 at 17:32, MoFo2 said:

I saw now Kaico has released a GC hdmi-thingie (~£60) so now I’m not sure what to choose: GCHD, Carby or Kaico. Hopefully someone will review the the latter to see how it compares, but afaik they all use the same source «code»?

Yes it looks like it uses the same source. 

Only review I can find is here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RsXAct71BCU

Mine arrives tomorrow.

• 5 months later...
On 10/02/2020 at 17:32, MoFo2 said:

Bump! Mine has just been delivered. £60 from amazon. 

quick set up with a cheap lcd panel and it does look very good. I’ll do a better play later. However I was able to force 480p via Swiss and made skies of Arcadia look sweet!

Spent an hour playing a few titles, all forced to 480p via Swiss v0.5. 

jesus titty fucking Christ. 

if you have any desire to play GameCube on anything other than a crt go buy one of these gcvideo solutions. So so crisp. 

Did a quick comparison with a Wii running official component cables and there is no comparison. The Wii output is so soft it’s like there is a full screen linear filter going on. Using a gcvideo every pixel is clear. The colours properly pop too. 

Skies of Arcadia Legends: force 480p, force widescreen. Just lovely. Reminds me very much of the Dreamcast version running through vga. 

Metroid Prime: force 480p. Didn’t try forcing widescreen as I erroneously thought there’d be a native option in the game. Anyways, I can finally see what is going on. Again, beautiful. 

F-Zero GX. Force 480p, native widescreen. My eyes!!! So so pretty plus I totally suck at this. 

seriously, go buy one. The Rad2X is obsolete if you have a Dol-001 cube. 

18 minutes ago, Freeman said:

yeah, and stick it in a bag of rice for a couple of weeks to dry it out properly :P

ha! It wasn’t in there!

thats actually a bad thing. But I found a bunch of other stuff, like my 360 pads, and  

Spoiler

5F7D4ED6-FECB-41E2-AEFF-4BA1E1E155FB.thumb.jpeg.458e862b19ce305917edf536cc38b210.jpeg
1E367A19-B4DE-4188-9EE8-43A48FC55F86.thumb.jpeg.b362841c0efe96044171c345bc446eae.jpeg

11 hours ago, Ninja Doctor said:

Spent an hour playing a few titles, all forced to 480p via Swiss v0.5. 

jesus titty fucking Christ. 

if you have any desire to play GameCube on anything other than a crt go buy one of these gcvideo solutions. So so crisp. 

Did a quick comparison with a Wii running official component cables and there is no comparison. The Wii output is so soft it’s like there is a full screen linear filter going on. Using a gcvideo every pixel is clear. The colours properly pop too. 

Skies of Arcadia Legends: force 480p, force widescreen. Just lovely. Reminds me very much of the Dreamcast version running through vga. 

Metroid Prime: force 480p. Didn’t try forcing widescreen as I erroneously thought there’d be a native option in the game. Anyways, I can finally see what is going on. Again, beautiful. 

F-Zero GX. Force 480p, native widescreen. My eyes!!! So so pretty plus I totally suck at this. 

seriously, go buy one. The Rad2X is obsolete if you have a Dol-001 cube. 

Same findings here when I reviewed a Kaico HDMI adapter (Disclaimer I was sent one to review), but I also found it to be a touch sharper than the Wii's 480p output via official component cables. Combined with SWISS which just a dream program the fact it can force PAL and NTSC games into 480p is a dream come true. You can see the comparison at 31:55, I did Mario Tennis and Pikmin 2. Makes GBA games on the player look wonderful as well.

If you are looking at getting a HDMI adapter for Gamecube, I would suggest you look at getting the hardware to use SWISS to force most games into 480p it also allows PAL forcing to 576p for PAL titles that don't run correctly at 480p. But it does require the final Action Replay version, a Gamecube SD memory card and a SD card also. Which will set you back around £40 on top of the HDMI adapter if you plan on using SWISS.

Edited by Riven
More notes on SWISS

47 minutes ago, SeanR said:

ha! It wasn’t in there!

thats actually a bad thing. But I found a bunch of other stuff, like my 360 pads, and  

Reveal hidden contents

5F7D4ED6-FECB-41E2-AEFF-4BA1E1E155FB.thumb.jpeg.458e862b19ce305917edf536cc38b210.jpeg
1E367A19-B4DE-4188-9EE8-43A48FC55F86.thumb.jpeg.b362841c0efe96044171c345bc446eae.jpeg

Thing I never thought I'd type: I'd be interested to see more photos of things in SeanR's bathroom.

1 hour ago, SeanR said:

ha! It wasn’t in there!

Reveal hidden contents

Be interesting to know if the non-gen memory cards still work, though maybe that's just because around that time, I was gaming with Nintendo and non-gen N64 controller packs at the time were unreliable crap!

I'm going to take a moment to remember how great 'modern' HDD saves are, then take another panicking about the HDDs ever breaking ;)