rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
Horribleman

I've just realised I have a mini PC from a few years ago lying around!

It has these specs - is it going to be able to run anything emulator wise? I'm only really interested in up to SNES/Neo Geo and FBA stuff.

Processor BrandIntel

Processor Speed1.6 GHz

Processor Count2

RAM Size2 GB

Computer Memory TypeDDR2 SDRAM

Graphics Card DescriptionIntel GMA 3150

Graphics Card Ram Size512 MB

That sounds about as powerful, if not a bit more powerful, than a Raspberry Pi 3, so it'll easily run 16-bit, and maybe the PSP emulator (and hence some PS1 games).

• Upvote 1

56 minutes ago, Ninja Doctor said:

Batocera/Lakka it up. 

Okay after your comment in ps classic thread I think I'm going to look into mini PCs over the weekend now. 

Can you get the PC to boot directly into it?

I don't like the standard retroarch interface really but if I can get this looking decent and run dolphin & reicast (all I really want is cosmic smash!) then I am sold. 

@Horribleman sorry for attempted thread hijack

They are both stripped down linuxes that boot straight into retro arch. Think Retropie but on a big pc with a better/more advanced set of cores. Dreamcast you say? Reicast. Wii/GameCube? Dolphin. 

Theres even PSP and PlayStation 2. 

1 minute ago, Ninja Doctor said:

They are both stripped down linuxes that boot straight into retro arch. Think Retropie but on a big pc with a better/more advanced set of cores. Dreamcast you say? Reicast. Wii/GameCube? Dolphin. 

Theres even PSP and PlayStation 2. 

Is one better than the other?

17 hours ago, Ninja Doctor said:

Batocera seems to be maintained a bit more than lakka. Not sure if lakka is still current. 

Is there any reason why I should not install Batocera on the HDD? I'm never going to use the PC for anything else.

If so, how do I do it? It currently has Windows 7 installed on it. 

If I install Batocera as the primary OS, will I be able to put roms on it etc?

I think I have it up and running :D

I've replaced windows with Batocera and I just need to figure out how to get roms onto it.

Can I use ROMs on my NAS? I have a fairly big HDD so I can copy them there, can I use a USB stick to copy them?

None of the NEO GEO or FBA ROMs I tried work. The screen goes black for a few seconds and then dumps me back to the game select.

I should just buy a new box shouldn't I?

Can’t help you there I’m afraid. I’ve never got to the bottom of getting neogeo and anything more recent than 1942 to boot via mame. 

More to the point, can anyone explain why there seems to be so many different versions of arcade ROMs? I often see things like “make sure you’re using fba rinsed 0.24.79.8.5.4.dinkey.beta”

why aren’t arcade ROMs standardised?

12 minutes ago, Ninja Doctor said:

Can’t help you there I’m afraid. I’ve never got to the bottom of getting neogeo and anything more recent than 1942 to boot via mame. 

More to the point, can anyone explain why there seems to be so many different versions of arcade ROMs? I often see things like “make sure you’re using fba rinsed 0.24.79.8.5.4.dinkey.beta”

why aren’t arcade ROMs standardised?

The original Xbox could run them! 

Weird. It's not the bios being in the wrong place is it?