rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
mwaawm

Monochrome games

Seeing the trailer for Earth Atlantis  suddenly reminded me of the very few atari st games that worked in its old hi res monochrome mode (bolo, monkey island).

Are there any monochrome hi res gems from other platforms people would recommend checking out?

Tons of Speccy games were basically monochrome to avoid attribute clash. A good example being the Speccy adaptation of Paradroid, Quazatron; changed from a top-down 2D sprite-based game on the C64 to a monochrome isometric game on the speccy.

Early Mac games were also monochrome, because of the built-in monitor. Few as they were. Dark Castle? Shufflepuck café? Mindscape's Shadowgate? I know Shadowgate made it to the ST as well.

Chris Roberts strategy games - Balance of Power, Guns or Butter were originally monochrome Mac games, too.

What about the bang-up-to-date Return of the Obra Dinn? Looks like an old Hypercard adventure game...

Dragon 32/64 games were often monochrome (especially if they were ports) as the highest res mode was monochrome.

Thumb_Jet_Set_Willy_-_1983_-_Software_Pr

Made heavy use of that 'stipling' effect to try to get more shades. You can't see it in screenshots now, but on the CRTs of the day, those speckled bits would shimmer with an almost purple colour.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, mwaawm said:

Just picked up Gato Roboto on switch for some monochrome goodness.

It’s fucking excellent. Was a bit pissed off I’d gone past the point of no return so can’t reload my save and go back to 100% it but you know what? I might just start it again it was so good.

I used to have bookmarked a (now defunct) Japanese website which had screengrabs of monochrome classic Mac games; lots and lots of screengrabs. Made me appreciate how wonderfully crafted some of those graphics were despite the hardware limitations, and that the Mac basically pioneered high-resolution games graphics in the home.