Sign in to follow this  
Timmo

Minor changes to games that would make huge differences

Beyond Good and Evil + The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker (and possibly other good games I can't remember)

An option to invert the Y Axis for camera controls. Yeah yeah, I'm one of those guys who are playing it wrong but since the very first flight sim on Amiga I've used inverse camera in every 3D game ever and I simply can't play properly without it. 

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Naieve said:

is [Wipeout VR] just really bright or is there something else in VR which makes it bad?

It's the VR thing, really, in that switching all pixels to white when the screens are just centimetres from your eyes isn't fun. Especially because your eyes have adjusted to having ambient light from the real world blocked out. Wipeout loads up with your regular black screens, small, discrete company logos, then BWAAAHHHHHH solid bright white attract screen :D

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Fry Crayola said:

Absolutely. You could even couple it with a separate mode for intelligently dropping/increasing the difficulty, so you don't need to know in advance what you can/can't do, but don't have to just give up altogether when the going gets too tough.

Rocksmith did this really well. 

Finally playing Infamous on PS3 and it bumped the difficulty up to Hard based on how I did the first couple of levels. I probably wouldn't have bothered doing it myself but have mostly enjoyed the extra challenge so more of that kind of adaptive difficulty both ways please. 

5 hours ago, dumpster said:

I read a while about how some games cheat with their health bar. The bar on screen represents 0% to 100% and when you take damage the bar decreases. But when your energy bar is in the last 10% it becomes a bit more forgiving to add tension and the illusion of narrow escapes. 

Fighting games have been doing this for years, Guilty Gear even has a name for it (guts).

20 hours ago, b00dles said:

Also on high scores, allow me (and my friends) to enter individual initials like in the arcades even if I'm logged in to one profile. Or a "hotseat" option at the very least, loads of games like trials or even driveclub you've got to just  remember if a few of you are playing on one console. 

Also loses that old school thrill of seeing your initials/ three letters on the scoreboard in an arcade. Even though I only ever got on a few actual arcade scoreboard because they reset the machines... <_<

Shudder's got your back! ;)

• Upvote 1

Put a Batman mission, where he comes after you in the Batmobile and you have to evade him, into GTA5.

Give the option of a racing line in Burnout Paradise.  I keep going off course and ruining my race without it.

Put an "endless" mode on all Air Traffic Controller games.

If you want to fix red dead, just hire better writers so we’re not watching a Western acted and shot by Hollywood with the dialogue written by a sixth form media studies student.

• Downvote 2

The thread on colour-blindness makes me wonder why more games do not have a colour-blind option.

My son has Deuteranopia (red/green colour blindness), which apparently affects around one in twenty men, a sizeable proportion of the gaming community. Nintendo did a great job with Splatoon, creating a 'colour lock' mode that allows the game to restrict the paint colour choices for people who might struggle with distinguishing between certain colours. I can understand that this may be a hassle for games that strive for realism - but for games with a cartoony style there should always be something for players with this common condition.

Also, remapping controls. When going from one FPS to another it can be annoying when the run button is now the crouch button, or the grenade is now mapped to the melee combat. Let me map the controls to any button I want, dammit, not just three or four predefined choices.

• Upvote 2

One of my favourite mini-trends in the last generation was developers discovering the “colour blind” mode in Unreal Engine and implementing it in their games, not realising that it’s a mode that’s meant to help developers simulate what the game will look like to colourblind users and does nothing to make the game accessible.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, BossSaru said:

Nintendo did a great job with Splatoon, creating a 'colour lock' mode that allows the game to restrict the paint colour choices for people who might struggle with distinguishing between certain colours.

I did not know that, and it is and excellent idea. Simple enough to do in the Splatoon UI, 'though - most of the main UI is bold shapes surrounding white text.

Pro evo online has loads, it's probably boring to repeat them again.

See opponent choose their team as you do. So you can create derbies. So you can see they're picking Juventus and can choose against picking Royal Excel Mouscron because you can't be bothered with the effort required.

More than 20 goal replay save slots

More than 3 formation save slots (fuck this is annoying when you want quick team select)

Longer replays so you can see the start of a passing move. 

More replay angles than just tv camera or super zoomed in super low down. 

Spoiler

useless cunts

Two simple things I'd do to greatly help PES's career mode:

• Stop regenerating players with the same name and face as before. 
  • Make youth team players largely of the same nationality as the club itself

It's ridiculous when the actual Robert Lewandowski crops up in your Hamiton Academical youth squad.

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, BossSaru said:

The thread on colour-blindness makes me wonder why more games do not have a colour-blind option.

My son has Deuteranopia (red/green colour blindness), which apparently affects around one in twenty men, a sizeable proportion of the gaming community. Nintendo did a great job with Splatoon, creating a 'colour lock' mode that allows the game to restrict the paint colour choices for people who might struggle with distinguishing between certain colours. I can understand that this may be a hassle for games that strive for realism - but for games with a cartoony style there should always be something for players with this common condition.

Also, remapping controls. When going from one FPS to another it can be annoying when the run button is now the crouch button, or the grenade is now mapped to the melee combat. Let me map the controls to any button I want, dammit, not just three or four predefined choices.

I’m colour blind. Fifa ultimate team used to be horrendous if you both had similar coloured tops, I literally couldn’t tell the difference