rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
And

Game of Thrones Poll thread

Are you still enjoying Game of Thrones?   

203 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Hi

I've been quite surprised by the amount of vitriol surrounding GoT and the way series 8 has gone.

Many are loving it and perhaps even more think its now shit, and a total betrayal of the first 5 or 6 series.

Were you a lover of the forbidden tomes who is glad to see them getting on with stuff instead of interminable descriptions of lamprey pies/ incestuous sex/ diarrhoea and side characters who bumble on for half a book before disappearing or getting incinerated after making no impact whatsoever? Or were you a Hodor that loves tightly scripted plotting over the instant gratification of Tits and Dragons (TM - Lovejoy).

I'd be interested to see how many of those that have read the books feel about it vs those that haven't. So please humour me and cast your vote in the poll. 

Thanks! 

Bit of a binary poll. What do I put it I still enjoy it, but realise it was a shadow of its former self?

• Upvote 9

2 minutes ago, mdn2 said:

But of a binary poll. What do I put it I still enjoy it, but realise it was a shadow of its former self?

Good point 

'Meh' option added. 

I kind of don't want to get into the whole "its not as good as it used to be"* argument as thats just too big a can of worms. 

Spoiler

Narrators voice : it isn't

• Upvote 1

Just now, catinthehat said:

Question 3 shouldn’t be mandatory. 

You're right, i'm shit at polls, how do i fix that ? 

I'm just indifferent. I think I've even forgot what good writing and dialogue sounds like. I can recognise people highlighting its flaws but accept that I'm not sure its conclusion could ever satisfy; tv for me is always about the what next and not really the ending. And most tv shows i watch suffer at some point from being inert as the same few characters go around in circles while their journeys lose meaning. They become figures that hold the show on their back, become the puppets of the writers as opposed to believable characters with motivations. 

The 1st season will always be my favourite, 2 was confusing, 3 and 4 had amazing moments, 5, 6, 7, 8 some great spectacle. I'm glad its ending, i want to maybe spend a couple of decades erasing as much of the early stuff as possible and rewatch it all over. 

It’s not as good as it was but it’s still great. Like The Wire, Breaking Bad, Lost, BSG, Mad Men etc

The Sopranos is the only TV show which didn’t get cancelled and actually stuck the landing.

• Upvote 3

19 minutes ago, therearerules said:

The Sopranos is the only TV show which didn’t get cancelled and actually stuck the landing.

And Quantum Leap, of course.

Interesting topic for me, as I’d been considering giving this a go, but the bits* I’ve read about this last season being total shit has really put me off.

It’d be good to hear some more opinions on it from you lot before I decide whether it’s worth my time or not.

Although saying that, I’m really not interested if it’s just a weak LoTR rip off with tits. I hate shows that think adding a bit of sex makes it more credible.

*I’ve been trying to read spoiler free impressions so as not to ruin it for myself if I do end up watching it.

• Downvote 2

1 hour ago, therearerules said:

It’s not as good as it was but it’s still great. Like The Wire, Breaking Bad, Lost, BSG, Mad Men etc

I know some found the last season's main plotline a bit farfetched, but The Wire had a fantastic ending in my opinion.

• Empathy 1

32 minutes ago, JPL said:

Interesting topic for me, as I’d been considering giving this a go, but the bits* I’ve read about this last season being total shit has really put me off.

It’d be good to hear some more opinions on it from you lot before I decide whether it’s worth my time or not.

Although saying that, I’m really not interested if it’s just a weak LoTR rip off with tits. I hate shows that think adding a bit of sex makes it more credible.

*I’ve been trying to read spoiler free impressions so as not to ruin it for myself if I do end up watching it.

Why not give the first couple of episodes of season 1 ago?

You aren’t obligated to watch the whole thing once you start?

It's still a superb show.  Read all the books, enjoyed all the books but I think it makes a better TV show than a series of novels personally.  Although I think I'll go back and re-read them this summer, starting when I go on holiday.

I'm utterly perplexed by the level of vitriol it's received over the last couple of seasons (why do people get so angry about it???!) and whilst I think peak GoT was probably around season 3, I still think it's the best show on TV at the moment and consistently entertains me.  Maybe it's impossible to provide a satisfactory ending to a show which has had so many characters, so many story arcs, has shocked viewers for the best part of 9 years etc etc?  I do think that if season 1 was aired now, it wouldn't be scrutinised to the same crazy degree as the current season is, but I suppose that's always going to be the case with the biggest shows.  It's a shame people are unhappy with how it's turned out but I'm certainly not one of those people.  Lucky old me, I guess.

• Upvote 6

39 minutes ago, JPL said:

It's less LOTR rip off and more medieval drama... in the earlier seasons at least. It's obviously set in a fantasy world and there are supernatural elements, but they're very toned down in the earlier seasons and only really ramp up later on. The later seasons suffer a little from ramping up the action at the expense of all the political intrigue and machinations going on in the earlier seasons. I'm still loving it though. I genuinely believe it's one of the greatest shows on television. There's certainly nothing else I've ever seen that gets me so engaged.

3 hours ago, the_debaser said:

It’s so much better than the later books. Reading them was a masochist endeavour. 

The last two books, or rather 1 as it was split are fucking awful. It’s been a few years now so I guess people have forgotten.

I remember skipping all the Dany chapters and glad I did, she had the worst of it, followed by Tyrian...fuck me they were shit! 

55 minutes ago, Ork1927 said:

Why not give the first couple of episodes of season 1 ago?

You aren’t obligated to watch the whole thing once you start?

I probably will to be honest, but I just didn’t want to get hooked on something that loses its way towards the end. I suppose it’s worth a shot though.

It’s fine I’m enjoying it. This season does feel rushed but I guessed that was because some of the cast wanted to move on from the show. So they had to wrap it up quickly.

The quality of the TV show has stayed far more consistent than the quality of the books. I enjoyed the last two books, but they were all over the place.

I'm really happy with how this season is panning out. With things like this and Star Wars I tend to stay away from online chat, as it just gets ridiculous these days.

• Upvote 2

I've read to about halfway through A Clash of Kings, around the same time that Season 3 was about to air. Having started with the show, I decided that there's only so much I can read about the finer details of Prince Joffrey's doublet, so put the books down until the show was done.

I still enjoy the show, and indeed thought it was excellent through to season 6, but the last two have clearly gone off the boil as it became more evident that the writers were just hitting plot beats rather than the meandering and near unpredictable tale of the first few series. However, I don't hate the show or consider it "awful". It's a disappointment that it couldn't stick the landing, but I still enjoy watching it. In many respects though I'm happy that next week's episode is the last. 

Once done, I'll pick up the books again.

I loved it up until about season 5 then enjoyed it until season 7. I read the books and really liked them but I thought the show from 1-4 was even better than the books. Held the quality of writing and added fine actors, an amazing musician and fantastic costume design. Once D&D started to go completely their own way however I think the whole thing fell apart. I'm happy for those who still like it, but personally I am genuinely stunned at how bad it's gotten. I don't think it is anywhere near the realm of The Wire, Sopranos or Breaking Bad. The writing in the last two seasons is something akin to a soap.

• Upvote 2
  • Empathy 1

If you're annoyed by Martin taking his time over the next book save a thought for fans of Patrick Rothfuss. Bloody success makes people lazy.

2 hours ago, kerraig UK said:

I haven't bothered watching the bells and honestly I don't think I will. I simply don't care about any of it.

Give it a watch. I’m getting roasted for suggesting that all the green screens and pyrotechnics in the world are no substitute for bold and creative cinematography, which the previous ‘big’ episodes had in spades (including the Winterfell battle, IMO). Would be curious whether you agree about this one, I thought it was aesthetically naff for the most part.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, probotector said:

The last two books, or rather 1 as it was split are fucking awful. It’s been a few years now so I guess people have forgotten.

I remember skipping all the Dany chapters and glad I did, she had the worst of it, followed by Tyrian...fuck me they were shit! 

I enjoyed the last two books, especially Dance. Some of the plot threads are stronger than others - Jon's were particularly good, and much truncated in the show - and they never hit the heights of the first three, but I don't think they were awful. 

Well, aside from DarkStar. 

D&D forgot that people came to GOT for the sharp character-driven writing, not the boobs and dragons and explosions. There are a practically infinite number of ways they could have improved this series and I'm struggling to think of ways they could have made it much worse.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, JPL said:

I probably will to be honest, but I just didn’t want to get hooked on something that loses its way towards the end. I suppose it’s worth a shot though.

This last season is not terrible or anything - Just very divisive. 

I would imagine it will be a different experience watching the whole show once it’s finished with out the weight of expectation/anticipation of these last few episodes. Although if that’s a positive or negative I couldn’t say.

5 minutes ago, Ork1927 said:

This last season is not terrible or anything - Just very divisive. 

I would imagine it will be a different experience watching the whole show once it’s finished with out the weight of expectation/anticipation of these last few episodes. Although if that’s a positive or negative I couldn’t say.

It’s exactly how I watched Breaking Bad, which I loved. I also started watching Walking Dead that way for the first few series and I enjoyed that at the time as well, but seeing that dawdle around for eternity over the last few seasons really put me off starting something so long that either refuses to die or doesn’t have a satisfactory conclusion. I guess I’ll never know unless I watch it though.

I don't hate this season by any means, but it has been very disappointing for the most part. At this point it should feel like all the events and character development of the show to date are coming to a head, but instead stuff just seems to be happening for the sake of quickly tieing everything up.

I read the first novel back when the show started, but decided to leave the rest until after the show finished. I'm looking forward to seeing how GRRM finishes things off, assuming he ever does.