rllmuk
gizmo1990

32blit Pimoroni Handheld

Pretty ambitious stuff from Pimoroni. Their own hardware no less and software tools too. Looks interesting!

32blit: retro-inspired handheld with open-source firmware

Learn to create your own platformer, side-scroller, racer... whatever! The modern handheld designed for homebrew hacking.

• Upvote 1

45 minutes ago, deKay said:

Remember the GP32?

Yeah, I had it (still do somewhere I guess). Was pretty good at the time.  Mine didn’t have a back/front light though, it seems later ones did.

I’m interested in this but yet again it’s lua... I’m sure there are reasons so many of these tools/frameworks choose lua but I wonder if they’d really lose much by making it use a language that people actually want to learn/practice.

Like the upcoming switch thing that uses basic. Who wants to put time into basic in 2019?

I guess python and ruby are too slow but Javascript perhaps, maybe even c#?... Also, C...  sounds a bit too much like effort.

Saw a handheld called “gameshell” in shops recently that seems to be a similar sort of “make your own games” type thing. More expensive than 90 dollars though.

Thing with Lua is it’s easy. Teaching someone how to program with it is easy. It’s easy to understand.

Once you’ve skills in how to program, with concepts like tables, arrays, functions, objects, etc. you can move on and up to more complicated languages. Ease and simplicity is where to start.

5 minutes ago, deKay said:

I’ve a PocketChip which is basically this already.

Indeed, that's why I need impressions from actual users. No point in a nice concept if it's hamstrung by something like a crap d-pad. And let's face it, these things usually are.

Well, they've flown past their goal already so I guess we'll see how it goes. It does seem pretty ambitious considering the type of company they are, especially the software side, that's a mamouth task.

1 hour ago, deKay said:

Remember the GP32?

regret selling mine, it was the fist machine i ever played pc engine games on...... i think

1 hour ago, deKay said:

I’ve a PocketChip which is basically this already.

Yep but that was years ago and hasn't really taken off. Markets still for the taking, especially in education.

37 minutes ago, Lorfarius said:

Yep but that was years ago and hasn't really taken off. Markets still for the taking, especially in education.

It's not the only device though. Gamebuino, Arduboy, GameShell, Makerbuino, various GamePark devices, Fuzebox, several Scratch-based systems, even things like Petit Computer for the DS or that 3DS RPG Maker.

It's there for the taking, but nothing seems able to take it.

• Upvote 1