rllmuk

I recently got the reissue of Super Majou and the R-Type collection and it's led to me inevitably looking at SNES games again.
I'm staggered by the high prices some of the games I'm interested in are now going for and am finding myself drawn to the cartridge only option as a cheaper alternative. There's often as much as five times the difference in price, which is very appealing to my wallet.

I've already got cartridges of Super Mario Kart, Turtles In Time and Pilotwings and I'm now thinking of getting a few more when the boxed variants are out of the question. So I'm wondering how many other people here will settle for a cartridge only if it means getting to play a game they really want to play. Or would you rather settle with alternative ways of playing if it means you can't have a fully complete game?

More than half of my SNES collection is cart only, haven't paid more than £10 for a loose cart.

I do like fully boxed though - I paid a fair amount for Lost Vikings 2 because I wanted it badly. And I bought a boxed Vortex as well, despite owning the cart already.

Now I have the SD2SNES my collecting has slowed down though.

25 minutes ago, strider said:

I recently got the reissue of Super Majou and the R-Type collection and it's led to me inevitably looking at SNES games again.
I'm staggered by the high prices some of the games I'm interested in are now going for and am finding myself drawn to the cartridge only option as a cheaper alternative. There's often as much as five times the difference in price, which is very appealing to my wallet.

I've already got cartridges of Super Mario Kart, Turtles In Time and Pilotwings and I'm now thinking of getting a few more when the boxed variants are out of the question. So I'm wondering how many other people here will settle for a cartridge only if it means getting to play a game they really want to play. Or would you rather settle with alternative ways of playing if it means you can't have a fully complete game?

I'd be happy with cart-only. Means not having to worry about disintegrating cardboard. I mean, look at my jaguar collection...

I think it's staggering that a cardboard box can get so much money, but it's probably just a reflection of some of the worst aspects of Retro Gaming - trying to regain something that's lost (because like most people, they chucked out the cardboard boxes when you were young)* or the hoarding collecting mindset where people have to get every game, 100% complete, only for it to sit on a shelf never to be touched.

Don't get me wrong, it's nice to have something complete, but if it's your thing then just buy reproduction boxes. After all, it's only cardboard...

https://www.etsy.com/market/snes_repro_box

*although I didn't really get into the SNES until really late on it's lifespan (my cousin had one, but I was into my Amiga), meaning most of the games I bought were 2nd hand cart only, so I don't have much of a nostalgic pang for SNES boxes, I didn't know anything else! Although I'm happy I kept some of the N64 boxes towards the end of it's lifespan like Paper Mario and Excitebike. Makes me think that keeping boxes became a thing in about 1999, 2000 (although that might have been just me). 

• Upvote 1

I buy games to play rather than collect, so usually the condition doesn't bother me (as long as it plays!) However, I have paid a little extra for boxed games if it's something I really enjoyed and felt daft for ever throwing out - I think I did this with GBA Wario Ware Inc, for instance.

I tended to buy fully complete SNES games only but I got the majority of my stuff when the prices weren't crazy. I'd never buy cart-only while I have my SD2SNES but if I like a game enough to buy it after playing on the flash cart for a while, I'd still tend to go for a complete copy. I'm patient enough to wait years for copies in the condition and price that I'm willing to pay for.

The only sane route with hardware is with flash carts now though. Even the third rate crap of yesteryear commands a price- I blame these YouTubers and retro gaming magazines, naturally. ;)

15 minutes ago, DeciderVT said:

I tended to buy fully complete SNES games only but I got the majority of my stuff when the prices weren't crazy. I'd never buy cart-only while I have my SD2SNES but if I like a game enough to buy it after playing on the flash cart for a while, I'd still tend to go for a complete copy. I'm patient enough to wait years for copies in the condition and price that I'm willing to pay for.

The only sane route with hardware is with flash carts now though. Even the third rate crap of yesteryear commands a price- I blame these YouTubers and retro gaming magazines, naturally. ;)

It's always been a bit crazy just how much boxed copies go for but i do think it's gotten far worse since the rise of Twitch and YouTube because everyone has to have that wall of retro boxes behind them on their live streams now

I am looking to offload my SNES and N64 games. They're boxed. I'm not a collector at all, I just looked after my stuff. Never traded anything ,in just stored away after use in my gaming cupboard. Is eBay still the best place to sell such items for max profit? 

12 minutes ago, nightwaxon said:

I am looking to offload my SNES and N64 games. They're boxed. I'm not a collector at all, I just looked after my stuff. Never traded anything ,in just stored away after use in my gaming cupboard. Is eBay still the best place to sell such items for max profit? 

eBay is good for reach but it won’t gain you maximum profit once you take into account it’s fees and PayPal fees. Maximum profit is selling on places like this or Facebook using friends and family (if people will accept it). Will take a lot longer to shift, mind.

also pal or ntsc as that will make a huge difference.

for example, I’d have no interest in pal stuff, but many will and pal games are often stupidly more expensive than their ntsc counterparts.

• Upvote 2

Boxed with manual or just use a snes mini at this stage I think.

The high prices are due to collectors and cart only is as good as worthless to them.

You're going to inevitably sell all your stuff again at some stage so you should get whichever is easier to sell on, or just get a snes mini, unless you can get the carts for peanuts.

On 14/05/2019 at 07:20, nightwaxon said:

Yes. Take advantage of £1 max selling fee weekends, sell at a fixed price and post internationally. 

41 minutes ago, gossi the dog said:

Yes. Take advantage of £1 max selling fee weekends, sell at a fixed price and post internationally. 

Post internationally via eBay's Global Shipping Program, use other services at your peril.

Mate of mine sells on there for a living, had someone try and rob him of £500 for Earthbound, he sent it UPS, fully insured etc, chap at the other end tried saying he had sent an empty box, he did eventually get his cash, but it was a long, drawnout process and was touch and go if he would, that is NOT pocket change, with the GSP, you send it to Pitney Bowes location in the UK and they send it to the customer, it's the only way I will ever ship abroad now.

• Upvote 1

On 14/05/2019 at 07:34, strider said:

for example, I’d have no interest in pal stuff, but many will and pal games are often stupidly more expensive than their ntsc counterparts.

It's nostalgia, most didn't play NTSC SNES games when young, and even though they are generally superior technically, they don't care. 

Collecting can be very dumb. 

Just buy a snes classic if you really... just want to play the games. Or start another mint boxed SNES collection you'll play once and sell off in a year, only to repeat again and again. I feel at this point people probably know what they like and it boggles my mind they put themselves through this repeatedly. 

Hmm 

cardboard just doesnt do it for me, so the games i have for my nes and snes are mostly unboxed - unless i purchased it from new.

Games that have better boxes, like megadrive, mastersystem and neo geo i only get complete in box.

Disc games, well, screw dat 

Intriguingly all the unboxed NTSC SNES games that I sold went to people in the UK. The boxed stuff all went abroad.

Most of the PAL PS1 and PS2 games that I sold went to people in the UK, the US NTSC stuff mainly ended up in Italy, Spain and Germany.

I'd never collect games in cardboard boxes either, it's bad enough getting nice condition neo cases. I can't imagine what people go through with N64(lol) and such. Doesn't make financial or common sense to me and goes against my way of collecting. 

The other problem you've got with cardboard is that depending on how they've been stored, the boxes can really dry out. Even if they're stored well, the cardboard deteriorates over time to a more brittle consistency.

You notice it with older computer games, towards the end of the 8-bit computers they moved from plastic tape boxes to cardboard boxes (miniature versions of the 16-bit computer version). I've picked up a couple "New Old Stock" C64 and Spectrum games in cardboard boxes from 1988/1989 and it's amazing how they've lost a bit of their gloss and feel really strange to the touch. 

Basically, if you're looking to get a nostalgic hit from old cardboard boxes, you're probably not going to get it (or they always felt a bit cheap and I didn't notice or care!)

My zx spectrum game boxes like scrabble and survival are as mint as they day i got them

(because i havent played them!)

15 hours ago, MikeBeaver said:

Post internationally via eBay's Global Shipping Program, use other services at your peril.

Mate of mine sells on there for a living, had someone try and rob him of £500 for Earthbound, he sent it UPS, fully insured etc, chap at the other end tried saying he had sent an empty box, he did eventually get his cash, but it was a long, drawnout process and was touch and go if he would, that is NOT pocket change, with the GSP, you send it to Pitney Bowes location in the UK and they send it to the customer, it's the only way I will ever ship abroad now.

It makes my heart sink to read this, because Pitney Bowes are shit. More than once they've haphazardly slashed open a seller's packaging to use their own, cheaper bubble mailers and cut into my games in the process. When they absolutely ruined a SNES game I bought from the US, eBay's first recourse was to deny responsibility and tell me to open a case against the seller. I refused and it took a lot of arguing to get eBay to acknowledge that it wasn't the seller's fault. I still ended up out of pocket.

I loathe the GSP, it's just a thinly-veiled front for eBay to skim more cash off of pre-paid customs fees. It might be more convenient but sellers shouldn't consider themselves protected by it if something goes wrong.

• Empathy 1

One of the first things I sent through them was an electronic Yamaha Keyboard thing, picked it up from a jumble sale, it went abroad, got smashed and they took full liability for it, that was my only time a GSP item has had an issue, I do put a pisstakingly large amount of packaging on anything valuable that is going abroad, I shipped a PS2 game to the Netherlands through them and it went in bubble wrap, padded envelopes, more bubbel wrap and then a shoe box, all taped up with half a roll of tape.

Wasn't taking any chances as it was over £200!

I’ve never used the Global Shipping Programme. It’s a lot more expensive than using Royal Mail’s International Standard which is really quick (3-4 days for Europe) but does rely on the local postal service on the other side. There’s always a risk that whoever buys an item from you will claim it never arrived or you sent an empty box, but from my experience the people buying retro are honest.

I have to say that I like a box.  On older games it's quite often down to art style on the boxes as graphics weren't considered a draw enough.

I wouldn't spend hundreds just for the box though.  I try to keep all purchases under 15 quid because if I decide I don't want to keep it I'm not going to lose a fortune on it.

1 hour ago, tenrou said:

I have to say that I like a box.  On older games it's quite often down to art style on the boxes as graphics weren't considered a draw enough.

see, this is why I'd collect 2600 games, and not even play them:

Spoiler

20988-super-breakout-atari-2600-front-co4d9eb10fc7d7cf0ca31769d5bf81b584--vintag

10e5e1f1cab671447955b705f799a2c7.jpge5ef77797d9234d893227440bdefb966.jpg

I recently sold my Big Box copy of PAL Super Metroid - the one with the big A4 manual and all that - for a reasonable amount, then went out and bought a loose Japanese cart of the same game so I could play it in non-b0rkovision. 

• Upvote 2

23 minutes ago, Kevvy Metal said:

I recently sold my Big Box copy of PAL Super Metroid - the one with the big A4 manual and all that - for a reasonable amount, then went out and bought a loose Japanese cart of the same game so I could play it in non-b0rkovision. 

I did something similar a couple of years ago- £120 to someone in Europe. Replaced it with a US copy!

• Upvote 3