I Think You Should Leave with Tim Robinson

BitterToad

So I'm not sure when this hit Netflix but Stuart Heritage wrote an article about it in The Guardian and yesterday I watched it all in pretty much one sitting.

Tim Robinson was a writer on SNL a few years back and now writes and stars in one of the strangest, best sketch shows I've ever seen. It's 6 15-20 minute episodes on Netflix and I can;t recommend it enough. I'm already chomping at the bit to go back for a second viewing. It's incredible. 

I thought it was amazing, we had some chat on it in the Netflix thread.

Also worth checking out his other show ‘Detroiters’ if you enjoyed this. It’s more of a regular sit-com format but I loved that as well.

I liked it but started to find it less funny the further into the series I got.

The problem for me is that a good 3/4 of the sketches follow a similar pattern and predictability is the enemy of comedy. Most sketches have the guy making a small mistake/social faux-pas and then refusing to back down or admit fault which results in things escalating waaay past the point of absurdity until he's thoroughly publically humiliated.

It's a formula for some good absurd laughs but towards the end I started being able to predict how the sketches would pan out within about 10 seconds of them starting. 

I blasted through it on Saturday afternoon, pretty consistently good I thought, with a few real zingers that had me lolling into a cabbage. The main guy (is he Tim Robinson?) has a real look of mania in his eyes, it’s kinda unnerving but at the same time hilarious. 

My favourite was the ageing rocker walking around and variously misinterpreting different vehicles as motorbikes. “Two bikes with a house in the middle?!” :lol:

Also the car design focus group. “THAT MEANS THAT YOU YOURSELF ADMIT THAT YOU SUUUUCK!”

10 hours ago, Popo said:

I blasted through it on Saturday afternoon, pretty consistently good I thought, with a few real zingers that had me lolling into a cabbage. The main guy (is he Tim Robinson?) has a real look of mania in his eyes, it’s kinda unnerving but at the same time hilarious. 

My favourite was the ageing rocker walking around and variously misinterpreting different vehicles as motorbikes. “Two bikes with a house in the middle?!” :lol:

Also the car design focus group. “THAT MEANS THAT YOU YOURSELF ADMIT THAT YOU SUUUUCK!”

"You have to marry your mother-in-law".

It feels like Tim Robinson shouts in lieu of being funny. He has one move.

I watched about 4 episodes based on the love here, but it wasn't for me. But then, I like Tim and Eric in theory a lot more than I actually enjoy full episodes of their show.

On 12/05/2019 at 20:22, revlob said:

Watched a few episodes. Some of it I really liked. But it was outweighed by the stuff that fell flat for me. A strange obsession with toilet humour.

Someone’s been doing sloppy mud pies and not wiping properly!

• 1 month later...

Just to agree with everyone, hit and miss sums it up. But for me it got less miss as it went on.

Also who played Billy? I can't find him on IMDb and it's doing my head in not being able to remember what he was in.

• 1 year later...
14 hours ago, BitterToad said:

Apologies, I know people will think this bump is about series 2 but we've still not heard anything and I just want to confirm that the hotdog car sketch is the best one. 

I watched that again yesterday! I really love this one, and the focus test one. 

Fans of this show might also like Aunty Donna’s Big ‘Ole House of Fun on Netflix which has a similar slightly surreal vibe.

• 7 months later...

I watched the first episode and laughed so many times. Sketch comedy will always be hit and miss but there were a lot of hits for me! It baffles me that he worked on SNL, the shittest of all shows. 

Can't wait to watch the rest. 

21 hours ago, Graham S said:

If anyone likes him in this I very much enjoyed the few episodes of Detroiters I've seen, which also features the guy who plays Richard Splett in Veep who I love.

Detroiters is fantastic. It also has Tim Robinson's best Skeleton joke, which if you're an ITYSL fan is as big a thing as it sounds. And finally this, one of the best cold opens of all time.

On 17/06/2021 at 11:26, Timmo said:

I watched the first episode and laughed so many times. Sketch comedy will always be hit and miss but there were a lot of hits for me! It baffles me that he worked on SNL, the shittest of all shows. 

Can't wait to watch the rest. 

Ok this didn't keep up. Maybe partly because I watched it all a bit too quickly, but I definitely think it was pretty front loaded. The first episode was fantastic but nothing else matched it.

• 3 weeks later...

Series 2 of the note perfect absolutely not front loaded I Think You Should Leave is out today! The first episode made me cry with laughter twice and I think Tim Robinson is the funniest man who ever lived. Very excited to watch the other five but trying not to burn through them all in one sitting!

Bit disappointed in the second season so far. First episode was ok, second episode I didn't laugh once. Feels like all the sketches are dragging one note on for far too long with no subversion of expectations.

• 2 weeks later...