rllmuk

1 hour ago, Gotters said:

This should be in Food & Drink of course - but its Capwn so there will be a really clever underlying social or political angle/commentary to it that none of us who just think its a misplaced thread about a condiment are seeing.

It's so deep though it will take a special thinker to see below the apparent superficial nature.

Hint : It's about social behavior and conditioning. EVERY country has their 'ketchup', a consumable that can come in many forms. Not just food. This is why it's not in the food/drink thread.

Here is another fascinating question, why is it that we all have Salt and Pepper on tables? Have you ever wondered why out of all the herbs/spices we have access to today that a huge majority of people put salt/pepper on their dinner table? As if those are the 'standard' spices.

2 hours ago, El Geet said:

Love this stuffhela-curry-ketchup.jpg.a0fa14786637f9b12a718d743e0e7246.jpg

And it's even called Hela Ketchup

I absolutely looove the Hela gewurzketchup. They used to sell it at Lidl but haven't for years 

• Upvote 1

58 minutes ago, DirkCrisis said:

I have never liked the word "flavourful". I think it is mostly used by people who aren't very good at adjectives.

It's only used by Guy Fieri.

26 minutes ago, Capwn said:

Hint : It's about social behavior and conditioning. EVERY country has their 'ketchup', a consumable that can come in many forms. Not just food. This is why it's not in the food/drink thread.

Here is another fascinating question, why is it that we all have Salt and Pepper on tables? Have you ever wondered why out of all the herbs/spices we have access to today that a huge majority of people put salt/pepper on their dinner table? As if those are the 'standard' spices.

I don't put salt or pepper on the table. The food is supposed to be eaten seasoned how I've cooked it, thanks.

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, Capwn said:

Such insight. The human condition laid open. My soul burns with a white brilliance in the wake of this new understanding. Nothing is the same. Reality is a construct. My mind and the universe are one. Tell me more my wise and subtle master.

Teach me.

• Upvote 2

I take this as there are many many kinds of ketchup and sauce, but there is room for all of them in our hearts and minds so they all should exist happily on the shelf alongside each other in harmony, we are ketchup, ketchup is us. 

Except mushroom ketchup, that can fuck right off. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, deKay said:

I don't put salt or pepper on the table. The food is supposed to be eaten seasoned how I've cooked it, thanks.

It's a good job that everyone's palate is the same, eh?

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, deKay said:

that is up there with the steak Nazis insisting you should have it rare cos they saw Gordon Ramsey say it on tv once.

Ask for salt or pepper in a Michelin star restaurant and the chef will spit in your actual face.

(Yes I'm suggesting my kitchen is a Michelin star restaurant)

3 hours ago, Capwn said:

Well, salt makes a thing taste more like itself. Most high-end bars are using a few drops of salt solution in many of their cocktails to enhance flavors that are otherwise overshadowed. It’s like using acid when making a syrup. If you put a bunch of strawberries in a blender with some sugar syrup then it’ll end up tasting like red sweet goop but if you add an appropriate amount of lemon juice/ citric acid powder it suddenly tastes just like strawberries. 

Just like adequately seasoning a steak with salt makes it taste more steaky. I think scientifically it has something to do with how our tastebuds interpret flavor and salinity. Maybe the salt acts as a carrier molecule for flavor like fat does. I don’t know. I’m not Heston Blumenthal I suppose. 

As for pepper, freshly cracked black pepper is delightful. Maybe it became so popular due to chronic tobacco smoking - my dad is a heavy smoker and he pathologically carpet bombs his food with pepper from a shaker “or it doesn’t taste like anything.” Maybe the mild heat wakes his palate up. 

3 hours ago, deKay said:

Ok cool so you’re a shit host with a big ego

Everyone’s palate is different

do you dictate how much milk someone’s allowed in their coffee lol

• Upvote 3

25 minutes ago, deKay said:

Ask for salt or pepper in a Michelin star restaurant and the chef will spit in your actual face.

(Yes I'm suggesting my kitchen is a Michelin star restaurant)

Order food in an Italian restaurant and you'll generally be asked if you want black pepper on it.

Go to a chippy and you'll be asked if you want salt (and vinegar).

So I guess it depends on context. Who knew?

• Upvote 1

Also I’ve been to restaurants with Michelin stars and asked for salt before, and worked in some restaurants with Beard awards where people have asked for salt. 

No one cares.

if they do care they’re insecure cunts who don’t deserve your money. There’s so much snobbery, ego and cuntiness in food and beverage that does not need to be perpetuated or endorsed. 

• Upvote 1

32 minutes ago, Floshenbarnical said:

do you dictate how much milk someone’s allowed in their coffee lol

Yes - none.

Here's the real New York Times review of his Times Square restaurant of that's any good.

https://www.nytimes.com/2012/11/14/dining/reviews/restaurant-review-guys-american-kitchen-bar-in-times-square.html

Did panic grip your soul as you stared into the whirling hypno wheel of the menu, where adjectives and nouns spin in a crazy vortex? When you saw the burger described as “Guy’s Pat LaFrieda custom blend, all-natural Creekstone Farm Black Angus beef patty, LTOP (lettuce, tomato, onion + pickle), SMC (super-melty-cheese) and a slathering of Donkey Sauce on garlic-buttered brioche,” did your mind touch the void for a minute?

13 minutes ago, denisb said:

I call it red and brown sauce always have 

@Capwn what’s the chips Canada love with curd 

I really want to try those 

Poutine. That deserves a thread of it's own really. 

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Harsin said:

Here's the real New York Times review of his Times Square restaurant of that's any good.

https://www.nytimes.com/2012/11/14/dining/reviews/restaurant-review-guys-american-kitchen-bar-in-times-square.html

Haha, we used to have that review pinned up in the work kitchen. 

The grocery store near my house has an aisle named “Catsup” which not only is what Ketchup is apparently called in upstate NY but also shorthand for all condiments. 

There is is another aisle called “Oriental” which in addition to Asian food also contains Mexican food and some British stuff. 

22 hours ago, deKay said:

I bet you cook steak well done too, you monster!

23 hours ago, Capwn said:

Unconvincing argument there, so moved to Food & Drink.