rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
Ketchup

Converters, scalers & video mods FAQ

Having just realised that absolutely none of my retro consoles will connect to my OLED tv I thought it’d be great to have an all in one thread talking about all the different options for each console and what to expect when connecting to a tv that only has HDMI.

I don’t have the knowledge to do this alone so hopefully some replies will help. I’ve decided to categorise each option per console seeing as there’s some complex and fancy internal and external mods to go with your more common scalers and converters.

With that out the way let’s talk about possible options for each console and if you have experience with a particular one some pros and cons would be beneficial to include. Also suggest consoles I’ve not mentioned below and I’ll update this post with options and pros and cons.

Nes

OSSC via scart - £140

Super Nintendo

OSSC via scart - £140

N64

Ultra HDMI internal mod - £150

OSSC via scart - £140

Gamecube

OSSC via scart or component - £140

GCHD external mod - £120 (requires rev 1 model)

Wii

OSSC via scart or component - £140

Master System

OSSC via scart - £140

Mega Drive

OSSC via scart - £140

Saturn

OSSC via scart - £140

Dreamcast

OSSC via scart or vga £140

DCHDMI internal mod - £120

Playstation

OSSC via scart - £140

Playstation 2

Xbox

You may also want to include in the mix cheaper options such as the ghetto hdmi cables for Dreamcast, Xbox and component to hdmi converters. 

Also I had a rgb scart to hdmi converter, it wasn’t expensive ~£20, that worked very cost effectively for a mega drive. 

Then an there is also the upcoming line of component cables coming from retro gaming cables. That will be my go to for the Dreamcast once they are released. 

Edit: Finally, the wii2hdmi which although can be a bit janky, is substantially cheaper than a OSSC. 

Edit 2: I’ve always lamented that in the world of hobbyist projects no one has put together a cheap rgb to hdmi board that could be added to almost any rgb capable console. They’d sell literally hundreds. 

Do you have names and prices for the cheaper hdmi cables? Happy to include everything from super cheap and potentially nasty to super expensive.

1 hour ago, Ketchup said:

Do you have names and prices for the cheaper hdmi cables? Happy to include everything from super cheap and potentially nasty to super expensive.

pound HDMI 

I have the DC and Xbox versions. Though I've not used either of them much yet.

I have the Pound HDMI cable for my PS1 (it does PS2 as well) and I've been pleasantly surprised by how well that works. I've also got an OSSC which I've always felt a little disappointed by - it's a faff to get it working with everything, and although it runs mostly fine on my HDTV, it won't play ball with the monitor I have on my desk - Megadrive in particular suffers from constant dropouts.

Another, albeit very expensive option, is to go the Analogue route - I own both a SuperNT and a MegaSG and both are amazing ways of playing old games on modern screens. Certainly better than using the original hardware with an OSSC.

I run the Wii via Wii2HDMI and have a similar one for PS2 although that needs powering with a loop to the onboard USB.

NES, SNES, N64 and Megadrive all via RF (Which is perfectly acceptable to me).

Xbox360 via HDMI having bought a cheap (£5) one last week with inbuilt HDMI to replace my older model.

TBH I can't get excited about all the upscaling etc. I have a 12 month old 55" 4k Samsung which displays via RF just fine.