rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
new666uk

'Dumpster diving' at the tip?

Hi gang,

I was dropping off some old junk at the tip over the weekend and as I threw away a 20 year old Sky box (I've never has Sky so not sure why I had it) right at the top of the skip was a Wii Super Mario Galaxy. I picked it up as you would (no disc but complete with all the inserts and manual).

Anyway, it got me thinking there must be a heap of gold in the dirt. Has anyone had any joy / experience of getting to it before it's crushed? I don't think that tip has a tip shop and I've never been to one  to know what they're like for retro stuff.

Thoughts?

Most tips have a dedicated shop that they sell the working (ish) stuff left, I've had some success getting stuff there.

This is almost impossible nowadays as the tips are much better organised than they once were. However my local one used to rescue anything that might be saleable then just display it in the sun or rain and give a random price. I remember carting home a big pile of laserdiscs and also a Philips CDi player with a load of discs and a controller. Can't remember getting anything console related back in the day.

Similar to you though I rescued an XBox 360 Minecraft disc a month or so ago - haven't got round to trrying it, it's obviously scratched but not too badly to not work, unless of course that's why it was thrown in the first place. Couldn't see any other games though. Taking stuff out of skips is strictly a no no so couldn't linger for long.

Really irritates me, these dumpster dives. Was watching one the other day where someone 'found' an i7 iMac 

57 minutes ago, Oracle said:

Most tips have a dedicated shop that they sell the working (ish) stuff left, I've had some success getting stuff there.

Do they? I've never seen that. But I haven't been to a huge number of tips recently (mainly just my local one). 

I did see a trolley filled with what looked like ancient PC equipment last time I went and wondered if there was stuff worth salvaging for building a retrogaming machine. 

Lancaster has a place called the Re-Use Car Boot Sale, also known as the Hidden Goldmine or 'Bargins Galore’ (and yes they do spell Bargains like that) . I've never looked into how it works but it has to be connected to the tip which is nearby.  They have piles of DVDs, games consoles, set top boxes etc, all covered with a thick layer of dirt.  Anything that could be sold for even a few pence seems to end up there and it's the best place in town to pick up a flat screen TV with no remote and shit all over it.  I figure the stuff must be broken and isn't worth bothering with, bit I bet they would do better if they got someone who knows about stuff to tidy up.  I've seen Wii Sensor Bars piled high on a table, Wii Remotes in a bucket, Wii consoles piled high with no cables and a mountain of cabling.  All it would take is someone with a tin of polish to go around bundling it all together and they might sell something.

About 15 years ago I got a boxed atari 2600 woodgrain from mine. It was just sat in the electronics container, I asked the bloke if I could have it and he obliged. Never seen anything like that before or since.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Anne Summers said:

I did see a trolley filled with what looked like ancient PC equipment last time I went and wondered if there was stuff worth salvaging for building a retrogaming machine. 

I work at a hospital,  and our IT department throws away both computers and monitors at an alarming rate. A company comes to collect them every month, no clue what they do with it.

Needless to say, I have about 10 working LCD monitors and 4 perfectly usable desktops. They just needed a Harddrive.

4 hours ago, SeanR said:

except, you know, it's pretty illegal.

Illegal shmegal. It's one of those pissy laws like "Health and Safety" ie. A good excuse to hide behind some bollocks rather than use a minute amount of common sense. It's literally rubbish/trash/garbage as far as the owner is concerned so who's being disadvantaged?

Commercial dumpster diving is another matter...

The bit in my local dump where I dropped of a perfectly good sanyo CRT, had a pile of other TVs sitting in the container, would have been rain damaged either

I picked up a Commodore 64 years back. Perfect working order. 

Our dump is run by a bunch of dump-nazis now though. You can’t lift anything. 

3 hours ago, OogyBoogy said:

I work at a hospital,  and our IT department throws away both computers and monitors at an alarming rate. A company comes to collect them every month, no clue what they do with it.

Needless to say, I have about 10 working LCD monitors and 4 perfectly usable desktops. They just needed a Harddrive.

They re-purpose a lot of it and resell it as reconditioned units. In some cases they just strip gold off the leftover boards for cash.

3 hours ago, Lorfarius said:

They re-purpose a lot of it and resell it as reconditioned units. In some cases they just strip gold off the leftover boards for cash.

Where do they sell it?

18 hours ago, mash said:

Really irritates me, these dumpster dives. Was watching one the other day where someone 'found' an i7 iMac 

I've got an i7 Macbook Pro, 2011 model, it basically IS dumpster fodder, inherent fault with the GPU means it sits under m desk in a constant state of being fucked and useless, the chip needs to come off and get replaced, but that involves taking the logic board out and sending it to someone to replace it at a cost of almost £200, for an 8 yr old laptop, that sounds daft, so yeah, I wouldn't be surprised at an i7 being in there, just surprised if it worked.

As for the tip, ours has a shop next door, although they get deliveries on a van from other places, called the "Re-use" shop, never any gaming bargains to be had as an ex GAME manager works in there, he nabs anything that is decent, does leave scraps though, and if you get there when the van arrives there is the chance of finding something.

One of the house clearance guys at the Needham Market carboot sale has an actual contract with Colchester tip, think he said he pays £1,000 per month to basically dumpster dive, but he is never short of good stuff, like they say, one mans junk is another mans treasure.

8 hours ago, Anne Summers said:

Where do they sell it?

Places like this:

https://www.encore-pc.co.uk/

Some businesses act like agents, hoovering all the junk up, clean it and pass to places like that.  There's a surprising amount of money tucked up in the whole recycle scene which most people aren't aware of.  Good in a way, saves it ending up being dumped for good.

We recently wanted to upgrade 250 or so PC's at work from 4GB to 8GB as we could have 64Bit machines and where we might have paid £25 per stick, from a recon. shop it's come to around £10 a pop. Massive savings to be had!

• Upvote 3

7 hours ago, MikeBeaver said:

I've got an i7 Macbook Pro, 2011 model, it basically IS dumpster fodder, inherent fault with the GPU means it sits under m desk in a constant state of being fucked and useless, the chip needs to come off and get replaced, 

Logic board off & in the oven. That should get it going in the short term. Then once you can boot it there's a plugin you can get that forces only the use of the onboard Intel graphics and stops the system touching the faulty Nvidia chip (which will fail again even after it is fixed). 

1 hour ago, Mr Tony said:

Logic board off & in the oven. That should get it going in the short term. Then once you can boot it there's a plugin you can get that forces only the use of the onboard Intel graphics and stops the system touching the faulty Nvidia chip (which will fail again even after it is fixed). 

I had the board out and gave it some new thermal paste, that didn't sort it, next will be a heat gun over the bloody thing, or maybe popping it in the halogen oven ( don't have a normal one ) it does sometimes boot, and once up and running, it performs ok, it's just a fucker to boot because of that GPU shit show, worst thing is it has already been off to Apple and they repaired it under the recall thing, but it died in the heat last summer and the recall thing is now long finished :(

8 minutes ago, MikeBeaver said:

I had the board out and gave it some new thermal paste, that didn't sort it, next will be a heat gun over the bloody thing, or maybe popping it in the halogen oven ( don't have a normal one ) it does sometimes boot, and once up and running, it performs ok, it's just a fucker to boot because of that GPU shit show, worst thing is it has already been off to Apple and they repaired it under the recall thing, but it died in the heat last summer and the recall thing is now long finished :(

Yeah the paste wont do it. I'm sure it's something like it comes off the board slightly so you need to reflow the solder. If you can get it on long enough to install the software that forces only the Intel gpu then you'll be fine. It should work then.

Heat gun the fucker for a good five minutes until it’s uncomfortable to touch. That should soften the balls enough. It’s probably the same crappy lead free solder that did for the old 360s. 

Dunno if this counts, but a few years ago, I found a laptop by the bins in the alleyway behind our house. It was an HP laptop sat in a new Sony laptop box, so clearly they'd got a new one and chucked out the old one. Borrowed a power supply from work and it booted no problem. Bought a new power supply, wiped it, installed Windows, sold it on eBay for £120.

• Upvote 5

On 08/05/2019 at 19:25, Ninja Doctor said:

Heat gun the fucker for a good five minutes until it’s uncomfortable to touch. That should soften the balls enough. It’s probably the same crappy lead free solder that did for the old 360s. 

This seems to have sort of sorted it, it boots first time every time now ( well, the five times I tried it last night ) although I left it running at work last night updating the Litecoin block chain, it had restarted when I got back here earlier, but it "might" have done some updates over night.

As for dumpster diving news, the usual carboot dump reseller chap was there yesterday with a PS4 that had clearly been dumped, £50, no controllers etc, just the standard 500gb machine, I took a punt on it, apart from a loose lid where the HDD goes and a piece cut away from the lip, it plays fine!

It seems that the previous owner had skipped it because the discs take a while to go in / come out, I'll give the drive runners a clean when I get a chance, spent an hour or so using his profile to play Uncharted 1 for the first time yesterday, then he signed in elsewhere so I lost my progress, left it over night downloading all the updates for No Mans Sky, looking forward to getting to play some PS games for a change for sure.

• Upvote 2

Great news. However that fix is unlikely to last a great period of time. I’d copy off anything of value and not be surprised if it goes again. 

Or sell it on whilst it’s working. If you’re that way inclined. 

50 minutes ago, Ninja Doctor said:

Great news. However that fix is unlikely to last a great period of time. I’d copy off anything of value and not be surprised if it goes again. 

Or sell it on whilst it’s working. If you’re that way inclined. 

It's only the disc drive mechanism, if it fails entirely, I'll just get replacement parts, left it running doing updates, left uncharted running and no over heating as of yet, for £50 it means I can fuck about playing some PS4 games for a while and if it does die, it'll go on ebay as a faulty console, it was only £50 after all.

When we were moving offices at Walking Circles nee Design Design and we dumped a load of the old Spectrum tapes in a skip. I went to Bury market the following week and lo and behold a stall selling every one of the disposed games.

2 hours ago, MikeBeaver said:

It's only the disc drive mechanism, if it fails entirely, I'll just get replacement parts, left it running doing updates, left uncharted running and no over heating as of yet, for £50 it means I can fuck about playing some PS4 games for a while and if it does die, it'll go on ebay as a faulty console, it was only £50 after all.

I was referring to your MacBook :)

the PS4 sounds like a bargain

• Upvote 1

59 minutes ago, Ninja Doctor said:

I was referring to your MacBook :)

the PS4 sounds like a bargain

Ahh, yeah, I thought that about half an hour after I replied :p Yep, I had a fairly recent time machine of it which I can dip into when needed, it had all my BTC and LTC on it, so that got dragged off and stuck on a CD, it's working, but still really slow, that could be because I've robbed most of the ram out of it for other systems, poor thing only has 4gb atm.

I've been to our local tip a few times over the course of the last couple of years and it has become one of those self recycling places, you just leave the hardware in a shipping container and then a truck comes and takes it away when full, probably to strip the plastics and melt down for the metals. I've seen loads of goodies, classic Apple mac hardware, and old PCs loads of times. There were two large CRT monitors there about a week ago ... alas we're not allowed to take anything. I asked :(  I'm sure the workers there will have a quick nose when they close for the day though.

It's weird there is a charity warehouse on the same road as well, but they won't accept any electrical goods. I can't help but think how much goes to waste as a result.

• Upvote 1

On 13/05/2019 at 00:42, MikeBeaver said:

Ahh, yeah, I thought that about half an hour after I replied :p Yep, I had a fairly recent time machine of it which I can dip into when needed, it had all my BTC and LTC on it, so that got dragged off and stuck on a CD, it's working, but still really slow, that could be because I've robbed most of the ram out of it for other systems, poor thing only has 4gb atm.

Have a look for the mod that disables the nvidia graphics and forces intel all the time.