Jump to content
rllmuk
Mr Do 71

Ghost Recon Breakpoint. Not GOTY.

Recommended Posts

Fully appreciate sending unpatched code is an arrogant stupid mistake thinking past glories would be taken into consideration.

 

But having your review header as No and 1 star is just pathetic https://www.vg247.com/2019/10/04/ghost-recon-breakpoint-review/

 

its not a case of defend my new purchase here, I would never encourage people buy something thats a waste of money, and as I've said I'm the first to bail on something thats garbage.

  • Upvote 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I only bought this cos my Borderlands main quest bugged out and the 12.99 price for a month seemed worth the risk, so trying to be as objective as I can, I'm having a much better time with this than Borderlands 3. Bugs aside that game has barely evolved and is terribly written.

 

So where to start with Breakpoint? The move to pure MGS level fantasy is a big plus. Shooting all the brown people in Bolivia was always a bit too Clancy for me. The island here is massive, beautiful open world full of loot, bases and bad guys. I've not even looked at the store, as the game seems to give you everything you need 10 hours in. I've got up early to play it the past two days, that's how into it I am. I kind of miss the methodic clearing of Wildlands zones, and Ubi have definitely favoured the Division approach, but it all works. It's big budget gaming and the culmination of nearly a full decade of gaas and whether reviewers and Jim Sterling like it or not, there's a big place for it.

 

8/10 

  • Upvote 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have to agree the absolute tirade of hate being launched at this is a joke.

im willing to bet no one played it on higher difficulties, tried to work out clues in exploration mode, disabled hud etc. They seem to miss the point it’s as easy or hard as you want it to be, this should be celebrated for the range it covers.

As for the transactions, I’ve picked up tons of stuff from the shop just pottering about in game, I highly doubt I’ll spend a penny or need to.

im already pretty much done with internet gaming videos and sites, this is just hammering in the final nails.

  • Upvote 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Gizamaluke said:

I only bought this cos my Borderlands main quest bugged out and the 12.99 price for a month seemed worth the risk, so trying to be as objective as I can, I'm having a much better time with this than Borderlands 3. Bugs aside that game has barely evolved and is terribly written.

 

So where to start with Breakpoint? The move to pure MGS level fantasy is a big plus. Shooting all the brown people in Bolivia was always a bit too Clancy for me. The island here is massive, beautiful open world full of loot, bases and bad guys. I've not even looked at the store, as the game seems to give you everything you need 10 hours in. I've got up early to play it the past two days, that's how into it I am. I kind of miss the methodic clearing of Wildlands zones, and Ubi have definitely favoured the Division approach, but it all works. It's big budget gaming and the culmination of nearly a full decade of gaas and whether reviewers and Jim Sterling like it or not, there's a big place for it.

 

8/10 

 

Interesting, thanks. Especially the comparison with B3 which left me quite disappointed as well (in it's current state).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Dave White said:

Fully appreciate sending unpatched code is an arrogant stupid mistake thinking past glories would be taken into consideration.

 

But having your review header as No and 1 star is just pathetic https://www.vg247.com/2019/10/04/ghost-recon-breakpoint-review/

 

its not a case of defend my new purchase here, I would never encourage people buy something thats a waste of money, and as I've said I'm the first to bail on something thats garbage.

 

Totally agree. How can anyone take this review seriously when the reviewer says they would rather play Anthem’!!! Now that is utter shite! Im thoroughly enjoying Breakpoint, massive open world and very satisfying combat for me. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I agree 100% with @mechamonkey.

 

I've only played this on advanced (1 less than the hardest mode, "extreme") in exploration mode etc and I agree this is the only way to play.  The world isn't empty ... it's full of people who want to kill me.  On foot, the action never stops.

 

Big step up in the AI in that mode too.  Random example - Was sniping a base downhill from miles away , in Wildlands they would have just stood there and let me do it.  I fluked a couple of 420m+ kills.  The buggers sent in the choppers and killed me in a minute.  Other example is the flanking.  The AI keeps catching me from the side.  I'm having to think things through now and constantly re-evaluate my situation and approach.  It's much more advanced than Wildlands.

 

I love that this game captures the chaos hidden in my not so perfect planning... ie It's all going fine until it isn't ... 

 

Advanced is hard.  It's extremely unforgiving (to me anyway) and it punishes me constantly.

 

I'm absolutely loving it and can't wait to go back for some more.

  • Upvote 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote

There are plenty of guns around, and the constant need to level-up keeps you experimenting with new weaponry, but you'll soon learn there's little meaningful difference between them. It's just as well, really, given there's no way to lock or upgrade a favourite weapon or clothing, anyway.

 

This bit stuck out a little. Guns handle wildly differently. SMG's have less recoil. An AK kicks like a bastard, grips work as they should by negating vertical recoil at the expense of horizontal etc. Snipers and DMR's feel good and impactful. I actually thought this aspect was much improved over Wildlands and was Ubi's best feeling shooty yet.

 

Also, you can upgrade your guns. Lots. There's three tiers of upgrades that you need to unlock by leveling and loads of options within these tiers. You use materials from dismantling unused weapons. When you upgrade a type of weapon, that upgrade carries over, so fully upgrade an AK47, then pick up another AK47 at a higher level it will automatically be upgraded.

 

You can also lock your outfits.

 

Seems strange how I've only played it 10 hours and all that seems pretty clear and obvious.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Gamespot: 4/10

https://www.gamespot.com/reviews/ghost-recon-breakpoint-review-in-progress-a-ghost-/1900-6417330/

Pretty much the same conclusion as Eurogamer's: "Ghost Recon Breakpoint is a confused mishmash of disparate ideas that struggle to coalesce in an enjoyable way."

And: "Enemies in Breakpoint are mind-numbingly dumb to the point where playing on the highest difficulty doesn't present a significantly harder challenge."

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I refuse to go down the reviews are all wrong path, but man the mission I did just now was MGSV levels of stealthy fun. I'm playing unguided so had to figure out where the apartment in the mountains was, then scoped it out with my drone and uncovered intel pointing to a secret cave leading to the main compound of the guy I'm after. I have to find this cave myself using the clues. It leads straight into the basement of a massive stunning mountain home, which is full of collectible little bits of lore. There's about 8 or so really tough guys, but I manage to hack the laptop and extract with zero shots fired and got a nice purple DMR for my troubles. Great stuff.

  • Upvote 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, Danster said:

Did they not even meet any wolves, damn those guys are tough.... or a behemoth? Good luck dealing with them early on

 

 

I've not played this game so this comes from a layman, but does the fact they did not reach any wolves or a behemoth not speak volumes him/her/they are just completely bored to tears by the game and/or Ubisoft's output?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, df0 said:

I've not played this game so this comes from a layman, but does the fact they did not reach any wolves or a behemoth not speak volumes him/her/they are just completely bored to tears by the game and/or Ubisoft's output?

 

Not really, Behemoths I'd give you, but Wolves come the first time you are pinged by a Drone and don't realise you need to hide.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm looking forward to my squads first game tonight, we completed Wildlands together, took about a year playing every Monday night. We even dragged our xboxs to a house to play the Fallen Ghosts DLC in an entire day with beer during the summer.  From the positive comments in this thread i see no reason to be worried, looks like we'll still have the same fun. 

  • Upvote 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, fattakin said:

I'm looking forward to my squads first game tonight, we completed Wildlands together, took about a year playing every Monday night. We even dragged our xboxs to a house to play the Fallen Ghosts DLC in an entire day with beer during the summer.  From the positive comments in this thread i see no reason to be worried, looks like we'll still have the same fun. 

 

Especially when it now names who has alerted the guards :lol:

 

"Danster's footsteps were heard!"

 

Fucksake! Leeeeroy Jenkins!

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Danster said:

 

Especially when it now names who has alerted the guards :lol:

 

"Danster's footsteps were heard!"

 

Fucksake! Leeeeroy Jenkins!

 

Hahahahaha amazing.  we have had MANY fights about this.  Will probably be sad actually as the arguing is part of the fun, but @papalazarou might be relieved as hes normally the scapegoat!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thoroughly enjoying the co-op, the bugs though, not so much.

 

I have fallen from the sky in a loop when fast travelling to someone else, went to fly my first plane, collected a bit of Intel, sank up to my waist and then could only run on the spot until I fast travelled, got caught, in what I can only describe as, looking like I was having a squatting shite but with my trousers still on.

 

We also couldn't use or skill points until we shut the whole game down then reboot it back up.

 

Apart from all that.....it's been great, enjoying it a lot more than wildlands.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't know why reviewers go so hard at Ubisoft.

They're making great strides in their games, they generally sort shit out and their MTs are a non requirement for most of their games.

 

Bugs....Smugs....

 

If peeps are enjoying this more then wildlands thats saying something as i thought that was the shit. Great gunplay and fantastic level progression system if you did the bosses in order of difficulty. In fact it was really fucking clever because it was literally natural. A one star boss was next to a two star boss, so you'd slowly progress into new, and wildly different territory - but it wasn't an immediate change.

You could see the next level in the far distance, or look at a mountain and know a level 5 was in that fucking great house purchased on the top.

 

Kinda like JC4 really. 

 

What was also cool was when ya' mate would scoot ahead to get to an area first and you'd primed dets on the side of his Bike or helicopter so he hadn't seen them, then done a "Diamonds are Forever" and blown the fucking thing up as he flew off in the distance. 

Next time i do that i'll play the death theme through the mic...

 

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well we played for 3 hours and the consensus is that its good. We completed the opening mission, upto the start of Act 2.  I'm enjoying the story/cutscences so far and its been the right difficulty to get you back in the game.  Yes the HUD is blowing up constantly with prompts and tutorials but after a few hours i think thats starting to settle down now.  We soon slipped back into the groove and the hi-jinks ensued (shooting each others tyres out, c4 on the chopper just in case etc) a good evening entertainment was had.

 

RE: the loot / microtransations.  I never once went to the store to buy anything in Wildlands and in this, its the same place, a tab you can ignore and I never saw a prompt to buy anything.  By the time id played for 3 hours I had about 20 guns and various accessories.  I had 20000 in game credits so I went to the in game shop (not store), bought one of every gun as they were level 33 (higher than any i had picked up) and some accessories.  Then i dismantled every other gun i owned and used the parts for the perks on the guns id just bought.  Also linked my uplay account so that gets you additional guns, vehicles etc for free.  All in, about 20 mins dicking about at the end of my session and im well speced out for the next one.   

 

I honestly dont see why its getting a kicking over this. 

  • Upvote 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, fattakin said:

 c4 on the chopper just in case

It was my insurance policy that our squad mate @Gringo didn't decide to just fly off and leave me behind (Not that he would ever ever do that, nope, would never cross his mind ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, Pob said:

 

I've been wondering recently the deciding factors behind Eurogamer's recent increase in using "freelancers".  Meaning, what is the selection process?  It has been very hit and miss so far.  

 

Not directing this opinion specifically to this review.  Although, I wonder what reviewer's skill/approach to encounters was if she finds the combat particularly difficult. (probably playing on easy too).  

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, replicant said:

 

I've been wondering recently the deciding factors behind Eurogamer's recent increase in using "freelancers".  Meaning, what is the selection process?  It has been very hit and miss so far.  

 

Not directing this opinion specifically to this review.  Although, I wonder what reviewer's skill/approach to encounters was if she finds the combat particularly difficult. (probably playing on easy too).  

 

 

 

and yet another review that completely bypasses the excellent Ghost War PvP mode. Eurogamer is bloody awful these days.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 06/10/2019 at 14:28, djbhammer said:

 

Totally agree. How can anyone take this review seriously when the reviewer says they would rather play Anthem’!!! Now that is utter shite! Im thoroughly enjoying Breakpoint, massive open world and very satisfying combat for me. 

 

VG247 is bottom tier.  Right there with RPS.

  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, mechamonkey said:

and yet another review that completely bypasses the excellent Ghost War PvP mode. Eurogamer is bloody awful these days.


I’m finding recent reviews of games, films and music to be really gonzo, self obsessed and hugely reactive. 
I don’t know if it’s me getting old but I don’t remember it being quite this bad. Perhaps the internet’s tiny time to print is feeding bad hot take reviewing... 

  • Upvote 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That’s an excellent review. One of the things it highlights I am particularly enjoying is taking a long hike to a mission on foot. You encounter so many random fights and places to explore, different biomes, changing weather conditions, you just feel immersed in the world. Like others have said, I have picked up many items dotted around at enemy posts and in chests, there is plenty to grab. I did take one flight in a chopper to parachute into a mission which was cool but certainly felt I was missing out on a nice ground hike.  Great stuff.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Use of this website is subject to our Privacy Policy, Terms of Use, and Guidelines.