Jump to content
rllmuk
bum

I'm playing old racers.

Recommended Posts

I'm going to play old racing games and post my thoughts.

 

We're starting off with:

 

GT Racing (Super Famicom)

 

Race cars such as the Toyota Corona Exiv, the Subura Impreza Sports Wagon and the Nissan Primera.  There are ten cars in all.

 

Championship is the main mode, although you can do time trials, and free practice (essential if you want to have any chance in a championship).  There's also split screen two-player.

 

The actual racing is absolutely terrible. The game is very fast, and unless you are focussing on the mini map, the corners will take you totally by surprise.  There will be a sign post warning you of the turn, showing you the direction and type, and then a fraction of a second later, the turn will be on you.  You car's steering is incredibly sensitive.  Fortunately there's no obvious effect if you go off track and onto the grass.  Hit a wall, however, and you'll slow to a stop.  Frustration is compounded as you watch computer cars, who always take every corner perfectly, zoom past you.

 

A championship race consists of three laps of free practise, three qualifying laps, then a six-lap race.  You can get away faster than the AI cars, and overtake some of them at the start.  They'll have their moment later when you mess up a corner.  Don't hit them though - you always come off worse, even if they shunt you from behind.

 

There is a pit lane, but I've only used that when I messed up the last corner once, and over steered into the pits.  It screwed up two of my qualifying laps as I was forced into a pit stop.

 

Graphics are not too bad, and functional enough.  The sound is mostly OK, but the turning noise is horrendous.

 

One to avoid.  Get the GT Advance series on GBA instead.  They aren't wonderful, but they are better than this.

EB944A05-68F5-46EA-9E4F-07D5DB0D8313.jpeg

 

Anyone else played it?

 

I'll do another later in the week.

  • Upvote 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not played that one, but I always enjoyed Exhaust Heat on the SNES in that it's not like your typical racers, it feels like you're just going "forwards" all the time (although you're going round a course) in a way that's reminiscent of some early arcade racers like Pitstop 1 on the C64.

 

 

 

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Never played Exhaust Heat, but it looks like a good one - I'll keep my eyes peeled for a copy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm going to investigate Exhaust Heat.  Thanks fir the recommendation.

 

Here's what I've been playing this week.

 

 

Kat's Run

 

BA3CC676-1B72-40BB-932C-39A1342865D0.jpeg

 

Battle Racing, supposedly.  Looks like it could be a poor man's Super Mario Kart.  Here's the back of the box.

 

5F32CF1D-8F78-461E-A44A-E9C010563C7E.jpeg

 

It's one of those games where essential menu options are in English.  You can street race, vs race, or configure the controls.

 

You choose a driver from a roster of about 10 anime characters.  Maybe they're from an anime series.  You also choose a car, but no infirmation popped up about speed, handling etc, so I don't know if it makes any difference.  The last choice is Straight Run or Choice Run. The latter, from its icon, implies that you can choose your path, like in Out Run.

 

The racing itself handles OK, although the characters are much less fun than the Mario series ones.  The tracks make it a little hard to see where you're going, especially in beach levels.     The items are tiny and easy to miss.  I did enjoy when a well-timed bomb hit another car though.  Track background is a bit bland.  Maybe I'll see some better ones as I get better at the game.

 

The biggest disappointment is that Choice Run doesn't seem to give you an Out Run style fork in the road.  So far I've just driven through a bit of darkness for a few hundred meters, and when I come out, I'm driving in a new scene.

 

From my first impressions, I can't really recommend this.  It's not awful, but it's nothing special.

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 06/05/2019 at 11:38, nakamura said:

GT Racers is indeed crap! Amazing box though.

 

Racing is what I do. I launched a blog in February with aims to cover as much as possible. Currently it's just me but I will need help.

 

https://digitaldriftracer.wordpress.com

Strangely although I follow you on WordPress (and you followed me in return) your posts never appear in my Reader

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/05/2019 at 13:36, wev said:

Strangely although I follow you on WordPress (and you followed me in return) your posts never appear in my Reader

To be fair I'm very sporadic with it. I just do it when I can. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 06/05/2019 at 11:35, Anne Summers said:

Whatever you do, don't play this - it's shit. 

 

 

 

Moonshine Racers was the lowest scorer in the first issue of Amiga Power, Exile was the highest.

 

I only know this because it's the issue mentioned in the discussion in the scan thread about a year ago that eventually became Yesterzine.

  • Upvote 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/05/2019 at 11:03, bum said:

I'm going to investigate Exhaust Heat.  Thanks fir the recommendation.

 

Here's what I've been playing this week.

 

 

Kat's Run

 

BA3CC676-1B72-40BB-932C-39A1342865D0.jpeg

 

Battle Racing, supposedly.  Looks like it could be a poor man's Super Mario Kart.  Here's the back of the box.

 

5F32CF1D-8F78-461E-A44A-E9C010563C7E.jpeg

 

It's one of those games where essential menu options are in English.  You can street race, vs race, or configure the controls.

 

You choose a driver from a roster of about 10 anime characters.  Maybe they're from an anime series.  You also choose a car, but no infirmation popped up about speed, handling etc, so I don't know if it makes any difference.  The last choice is Straight Run or Choice Run. The latter, from its icon, implies that you can choose your path, like in Out Run.

 

The racing itself handles OK, although the characters are much less fun than the Mario series ones.  The tracks make it a little hard to see where you're going, especially in beach levels.     The items are tiny and easy to miss.  I did enjoy when a well-timed bomb hit another car though.  Track background is a bit bland.  Maybe I'll see some better ones as I get better at the game.

 

The biggest disappointment is that Choice Run doesn't seem to give you an Out Run style fork in the road.  So far I've just driven through a bit of darkness for a few hundred meters, and when I come out, I'm driving in a new scene.

 

From my first impressions, I can't really recommend this.  It's not awful, but it's nothing special

 

I gave this a decent bash the other day and came way really enjoying it despite its apparent simplicity / mediocrity.

 

It's probably the most adorable SNES racer I've come across in a long while with its wonderful music, miniature licensed road cars and dedicated window for viewing your characters emotions as they race. Of course it's no Super Mario Kart but SNES mode 7 racers (however unoriginal many may be) will always be a special genre in their own right for me.

 

And in that note F1 Exhaust Heat II was always my favourite 'serious' SNES racer, I swear it was always the fastest and working through the main campaign never felt Iike a grind. I was gutted when I wiped my childhood save when playing it through a converter on a PAL SNES though. Lesson learned there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 17/05/2019 at 18:21, spanky debrest said:

 

I gave this a decent bash the other day and came way really enjoying it despite its apparent simplicity / mediocrity.

 

It's probably the most adorable SNES racer I've come across in a long while with its wonderful music, miniature licensed road cars and dedicated window for viewing your characters emotions as they race. Of course it's no Super Mario Kart but SNES mode 7 racers (however unoriginal many may be) will always be a special genre in their own right for me.

 

And in that note F1 Exhaust Heat II was always my favourite 'serious' SNES racer, I swear it was always the fastest and working through the main campaign never felt Iike a grind. I was gutted when I wiped my childhood save when playing it through a converter on a PAL SNES though. Lesson learned there.

 

I'm glad to hear you enjoyed it.

 

I played it mainly on a portable SNES.  Maybe it plays better on the TV.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here's my most recent racer.

 

Game Boy F1 Race

D13D9852-DE64-4F5B-A52D-039A04624DE6.jpeg

 

This is one of the earliest racers on the system.  It's one of a few games that use the four-player adapter (Super RC Pro Am and Faceball are two others I can think of).

 

It's a racer with a pole position view, and billboards along the sides of the road, so if you overdo a turn, you'll crash, costing you a couple of seconds.

 

There are three modes - Grand Prix, Time Trial and Championship.  Championship pits you against three other racers, be they human or AI.

 

Grand Prix is very challenging.  In just two laps you have to fight your way to the front and cross the line first.  The bad news is thst you start from the back, which is a real bummer at the Japan track (the only track which really resembles its real-life version at Suzuka), since you start the just at the entrance to a chicane.

 

Choice of car is an essential factor - one has higher jet (nitrous) top speed and the other has a higher non-jet top speed.  Once the jet is gone, your car can't hold off the AI cars for long if you went with the former.

 

There's some sense of speed, but it's not too fast to be impossible to play in the way that Super Monaco on the Game Gear was.

 

The cars look a bit rubbish, but there are some nice country-specific backgrounds in the distance.  I loved the delighted jumping around after you win a race.

 

Engine noises are like an angry bluebottle and jet is like a travel hair-dryer gone beserk.  As with a lot of Game Boy games, some of the tunes are quite memorable.

 

It's not a patch on Super RC Pro Am, but on a system that wasn't good for racing games, it's worth a look.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This was the "classic" gameboy game for me, I didn't actually have Tetris at first and obviously I'm a racing game guy.

 

I'm almost afraid to go back and play the thing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Finally got past the seventh track in Grand Prix mode - the USSR track.  The last two - India and Egypt - didn't present too much of a challenge.

 

There are nine tracks in GP mode, but more in the championships.  Not a bad selection for such an old game.

 

It's probably worth a look if you first played it decades ago.  Certainly the most fun of the ghree I've written about on this thread so far.

 

Did you play it multi-player?

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Having said that I liked the backgrounds, it was a bit disappointing that the last five races recycled the backgrounds of the first five.  The snowy mountains of Canada seemed appropriate enough for the Nepal GP, and the skyscrapers of the USA race didn't seem out of place in the Hong Kong race either, but I was bemused to see Uluru in the background of the China GP.

 

Next, I'm going to play a Game Boy Advance racer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My most recent game is:

 

 

A2612079-5456-4DB4-9017-EAF71215D03E.jpeg

 

V-Rally 3 on Game Boy Advance.

 

With this, Advance Rally, Sega Rally and Colin McRae 2, GBA owners have a fair selection of rally games to choose from.

 

I've had this for a while, but barely touched it.  In fact, I've only had a quick look at the interior view.

 

There's Rally Championship, Rally Cross and Time Trial.

 

In some ways this seems to be a rather on-rails racer.  I never seemed to be able to drive my car off the road.  Rather, if you touch the sides of the track, your car will suffer a punishing drop in speed.

 

I did the first rally, which is Kenya, and to be honest, I found it hard to see where I was going.  There wasn't much contrast between the road and the sides of the track.  This was on a front lit SP.  I switched to a DS Lite for the second rally, which is Finland, and could see everything perfectly.  I romped home in that rally, after coming last in Kenya.

 

I'll play Kenya again on DS Lite to see if it is my elderly SP not displaying clearly, or whether the colour scheme for that rally is poor.

 

The Finland graphics looked really nice and colourful.  The in-car view looks spectacular, particularly when the windscreen gets chipped.  However, it isn't the most practical, so I soon reverted back to the low chase view.  Those are the only two available.

 

There isn't so much pop up as there is the course literally forming about thirty metres in front of your eyes.  It reminded me of the Wallace and Gromit episode The Wrong Trousers, when Gromit was on a train and building the track for the train to run along.  But pop up is inevitable on this hardware.  I'd say the graphics (well, Finland) are a strong point.

 

Rally Cross pits you in a more conventional race against three other cars.  Winning mini-championships unlocks other licences (championships).  I've only done the first one.  There were no joker laps.  The tracks looked like rally stages rather than actual rally cross tracks.  It was quite fun as a diversion from the rallying.

 

So, the only blot on the copybook is the Kenya rally being hard to see, which may be my machine.  Apart from that, I'm impressed so far.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

V-Rally is fantastic on GBA with only the lack of difficulty letting it down. The in car view just feels so good to play given the limitations of it. It feels drifty enough to be off road. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've played quite a lot more of this and had a great time.

 

The Kenya rally was much clearer on the DSLite, although I still find it a poor choice of colours - much too similar.  However, the graphics are excellent throughout.  I got used to the in-car view, and it is a technical marvel.

 

As Nakamura said, there isn't much challenge, especially in the main rally mode.  Even after a stage which seemed slow, I usually found I'd been fastest.

 

This is highly recommended.

 

Next, I'm going to play a PS1 racer.

 

 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, Darhkwing said:

I do love overhead racers, one of my favorites was ATR on the Amiga. Was it ever released on anything else?

 

It was stupidly difficult though.

 

Just Amiga and CD32. That's another game I remember playing the coverdisk demo of more than the actual game!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, ilpostino said:

 

Just Amiga and CD32. That's another game I remember playing the coverdisk demo of more than the actual game!

 

Cant remember if i had the coverdisk - i probably did - but i spent a lot of time with the full game, although i recall getting to the moon or something and never getting past that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Darhkwing said:

 

Cant remember if i had the coverdisk - i probably did - but i spent a lot of time with the full game, although i recall getting to the moon or something and never getting past that.

 

 

The coverdisk was Christmas-themed versions of two early tracks. Amiga Format, I think?

 

The moon is the second last area, if memory serves. Been a very long time since I've played it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I covered Super Off Road recently on the Amiga. Not a bad port overall and seems to be lots of peoples favourite but...

 

 

Supercars is just way better and I had a lot more fun with it. Just look at that explosion!  :lol:

 

 

Though out of all the Amiga racers, NOTHING beats Lotus 2 :wub:

 

 

  • Upvote 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, ilpostino said:

 

 

The coverdisk was Christmas-themed versions of two early tracks. Amiga Format, I think?

 

The moon is the second last area, if memory serves. Been a very long time since I've played it.

 

ah yes i did have it. Probably still have the coverdisk somewhere.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 05/06/2019 at 22:45, Lorfarius said:

I covered Super Off Road recently on the Amiga. Not a bad port overall and seems to be lots of peoples favourite but...

 

 

Supercars is just way better and I had a lot more fun with it. Just look at that explosion!  :lol:

 

 

Though out of all the Amiga racers, NOTHING beats Lotus 2 :wub:

 

 

 

Don't suppose any of those got console ports, did they?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, bum said:

 

Don't suppose any of those got console ports, did they?

 

Yup, all of them but Super Cars only appeared on the NES.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, bum said:

 

Don't suppose any of those got console ports, did they?

 

As Lorf says, yes.

 

But watch out, they didn't go the first one so the numbers are wrong.

 

image.thumb.png.eefcbc8a91bae7460696ee2bf93d0998.png

 

This is actually Lotus 2.

 

image.png.11f592b420be371dff63cc08c006ca57.png

 

This is actually Lotus 3.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Use of this website is subject to our Privacy Policy, Terms of Use, and Guidelines.