rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
skittles

Impossible burger

Has this kicked off on the UK yet?

The beyond burger company went IPO recently and bounced 100+ per cent day 1.

The beyond burger is, imo, absolute shite, first bite is ok but then it just doesn't taste like beef.

The Impossible burger on the other hand, on a blind taste test, smells, tastes and feels like beef. It's unbelievable and its only going listingto get better. This will change the meat game and industry if it can get past the lobbyists, burger king will be distributing through the US soon.

Top impossible, bottom beef. Please go try.

Screenshot_20190505-121106~3.png

19 minutes ago, revlob said:

What

Sorry that was terrible English. 

The beyond foods company , which makes fake meat, recently listed on the stock exchange. 

these always look like frankenfood to me, may be veggie but are they processed and mucked around with in a way that is unpleasant ?

they aren't just patties of grated veg are they with some nuts/mushrooms.

Beyond burgers are great. 

If impossible is better, I'm looking forward to trying them. 

46 minutes ago, Gaz said:

Beyond burgers are great. 

If impossible is better, I'm looking forward to trying them. 

I couldnt get into it. The first two bites are ok, but then it just doesn't taste like meat. Try the impossible. Seriously good. It's all over Singapore right now.

They’ve no plans to launch in the EU currently. I agree it’s much better than the Beyond Burger.

Even in the US they’re not yet available at retail, only in restaurants, so a long way from Beyond Burger’s level of distribution.

How long ago did you have a beyond burger and how was it cooked? They are on v2 now and need to be medium rare, I love them having cooked at home and eaten out.

Never read/heard anyone say the impossible burger is as good as beef, even serious eats etc say it’s great but no beef beater just a great option for veggies!

8 hours ago, Gotters said:

these always look like frankenfood to me, may be veggie but are they processed and mucked around with in a way that is unpleasant ?

they aren't just patties of grated veg are they with some nuts/mushrooms.

Anything that isn't raw and whole is processed surely? Milling flour from grain is a process. Making cheese involves a whole slew of processes. As does cooking a decent curry. Most of the bacon on sale in the UK is processed in such a way that makes it likely to raise your chances of getting cancer. Just because a process is lab-based doesn't make it necessarily worse than one that's kitchen-based.

"Processed" is one of those terms that comes highly-charged and it's bandied around a lot by people trying to attack vegan food right now. I'm not going to deny that many of these new Vegan products are highly-processed - anything made from (for example) pea protein almost certainly is. But is the process that derives that any better or worse than the processes that are used to make the various chemicals involved in almost every food product we buy? I really don't know. How are all the various preservatives and emulsifiers and stabilisers created? I'd imagine it's pretty similar. Heck most of the bread eaten in this country is produced using the notorious Chorleywood process that means it's nowhere near as nutritious as it should be.

I enjoy reading your posts in the Food Prep thread Gotters, so I know you're perhaps not the average punter when it comes to processed food. But I personally don't think there's much difference between this and any other factory-line produced food. Almost all of it will contain stuff that would be alien to anyone who likes to cook their own grub from raw ingredients. If you're Ok with some of them, then I don't see why you'd draw the line here.

• Upvote 4

All good points @MarkN - I guess it also shows how in my mind I always think of vegan/vegetarian as some kind of ‘healthy’ option but as the sector increases so will the options and companies providing food that meets the criteria and delivers the guilty pleasures that not just meat eaters crave.

A lot of processed food can hit the spot in a way something hand crafted by artisans never can !

3 hours ago, Shimmyhill said:

How long ago did you have a beyond burger and how was it cooked? They are on v2 now and need to be medium rare, I love them having cooked at home and eaten out.

Never read/heard anyone say the impossible burger is as good as beef, even serious eats etc say it’s great but no beef beater just a great option for veggies!

I’ve eaten Beyond Burger this week and I’ve had it at home and in restaurants multiple times, it’s really good but it’s not the Impossible Burger.

I’ve eaten Impossible Burger at Crossroads kitchen (probably one of the best vegan restaurants in the world) but also at the Fat Burger chain, with just the burger, bun and ketchup. Impossible Burger is definitely better! I hope they get on with exporting it but I imagine having to supply Burger King US-wide will keep them busy for a while.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, TurningMonster said:

The Impossible burger is decent but I prefer Beyond. Their sausages are incredible, I would defy anyone to be able to be able to tell the difference.

Beyond sausages are great. Have you tried the beyond burger? I don't like it.

I’ve had the impossible burger (v1) a few times, it’s very tasty and he first time my brain was very confused about what I was eating. 

Shame it’s not coming over here anytime soon, I’ve not tried the beyond burger yet. 

It's one of many saying the same thing. And, again, the list of ingredients is publicly available, on the box.

There's even genetically modified stuff in them.

https://www.nytimes.com/aponline/2019/05/07/health/ap-us-med-science-says-meatless-meats.html

Beyond Meat's ingredients include pea protein and canola oil. Impossible Food's patties have soy protein and coconut oil. Impossible says its patties have a flavor and hue similar to beef partly because of soy leghemoglobin , a protein the company makes by genetically modifying yeast.

It's not necessarily a problem, just raises a couple of questions for me, especially when looking at how the patties are getting made and processed in combination with all the other ingredients.

6 hours ago, alex3d said:

It's one of many saying the same thing. And, again, the list of ingredients is publicly available, on the box.

There's even genetically modified stuff in them.

https://www.nytimes.com/aponline/2019/05/07/health/ap-us-med-science-says-meatless-meats.html

Beyond Meat's ingredients include pea protein and canola oil. Impossible Food's patties have soy protein and coconut oil. Impossible says its patties have a flavor and hue similar to beef partly because of soy leghemoglobin , a protein the company makes by genetically modifying yeast.

You obv balance that with the fact the beef burger you’re eating with it’s simple list of non processed ingredients that are not GM are made from cows eating GM feed....

No, I weigh it against the question whether it should be a regular item in my diet or not. That beef burger isn't one either. I'll just eat it from time to time. 

On 16/05/2019 at 14:03, El Spatula said:

So, yeah, that website isn't particularly based on any science other than bro science.

Isn't it mainly pea protein and coconut fat? I can't see how that's bad for you is you eat it once a month or so. 

Who has burgers at home regularly. I think the lack of fibre and high calorie food is going to be a bigger problem than it not being meat. 

Saw Beyond Burgers in my local tesco today, so bought two to try. FUCK ME! AMAZING! The texture is a little different, but only a little, otherwise they were fucking lush! :wub: