rllmuk

On 04/05/2019 at 19:20, Dudley said:

This feels a smidge late to post the topic since there aren't actually tickets left but

Anyone else going?

Yeppers.

• Upvote 2

On 22/07/2019 at 11:54, parrapatheslapper said:

Was this any good?

Absolutely astonishing. Works even better in a big venue with a 400-strong audience.

The very format has immunised itself against any disaster, because if something goes wrong (and yes, it did on quite a few occasions), it just garners even more appreciation. The show overran by 50 minutes. I have zero complaints.

Fortunately, Mr Biffo is going to plan some more, outside of yer Londons.

• Upvote 2

Yeah, there were 2 fuck ups with the videos.

Genuinely thought they were deliberate until Quang copped to it on Twitter.

Although not professionally and not in a way they've committed to releasing.

The interstitial videos are getting released though, the first one "Tribute to Bronk" is on Biffo's personal YouTube.

Yeah, one guy's got himself banned from future events.  I had to head off straight after the show so I saw none of this.

There's always one.

15 hours ago, Dudley said:

Yeah, one guy's got himself banned from future events.  I had to head off straight after the show so I saw none of this.

There's always one.

Yeah, he's also banned from Ashens and Cheap Show events too, and has previously been banned from a Comic Con thing for hassling people. I really don't want to go into detail here, so I'll just give you this pointer - he was literally one out of four hundred. A nuisance best left forgotten, so let's concentrate on the overwhelming positives of Digitiser Live...

There's no doubt the Digitiser team absolutely surpassed themselves, pulling out all the stops. It was like having two episodes back-to-back, albeit even longer than that, and we got all the glorious shambles. It might be happy accident, but the format is made for this. It was hard to tell when something went genuinely wrong or whether it was part of Mr Biffo's masterplan. Either way, the audience properly enjoyed it.

For me, the opening item was the funniest. Yes, this is exactly how the show opened. It's got shades of Brass Eye about it.

We had Moccety Moc, the show and tells, two stints of [game] in Real Life (always my favourite part of Digitiser), an appearance of the Beautiful Boy and then, even better, an Even More Beautiful Boy. You truly got your money's worth and then some.

Plus, new additions of personnel - the fantastic comedian Sooz Kempner; retrogaming guitar plucker Gaming Muso and a masked cameo by MrPSB. These folk fitted in brilliantly.

Yeah, I'm rather pleased how this went. This live show works better than its original Teletext incarnation and the YouTube series. I wish every episode could be like this, but you could see how draining it was for Mr Biffo and the cast. They did this for free (well, sort of, we had paid for this as part of a crowdfunding pledge), and lost a bit of money on it. It's a genius move though, as it's galvanised the fanbase.

Sure, Digitiser is not for everyone's tastes. It's Vic and Bob humour, laced with some immature pranks and a lot of self-depreciation. I do wonder what outsiders think of it.

The four-hour free event Chunky Fringe was a kind of auxillary supplement that focused on the serious side of things, looking at vintage technology and the teletext medium, an unashamed nerdfest which was a great lead-in to the main event.

You had a lot of folk from the UK's retrogaming YouTube scene in attendance, from high profiles to the fairly obscure, but, in the hours before the show, whether you were perusing through Chunky Fringe or drinking with the hordes in the car park (yeah, that bit sounds like we're social outcasts), we were all 'as one' - chatting about our passions and even making videos while we were there. It was a life-affirming occasion. There you go, that's about as 'hippy' as I'm prepared to go.

• Upvote 5

22 hours ago, Anne Summers said:

Sorry I missed this!

Who is MrPSB? I've heard him referenced twice recently in relation to Digi, and the name rings a bell, but I can't remember who he is. 

He's not been on the YouTube series or the mini-Digis, but he was definitely on stage for Digitiser Live. He's prolific on Twitter, for streaming train sims, and he agreed to play the role of a creepy stripper...

RkzrFLz.png

• Upvote 1

On 31/07/2019 at 22:58, deKay said:

MrPSB is (or was) a regular here too, I think.

He was a regular on alt.digitiser back in the day. Haven't heard that name for a while.