rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
KartoffelKopf

The Virtues - Shane Meadows Channel 4

Finally watched episode 4. I kept putting it off because it scared me. I knew it was gonna be so heavy. 

Masterful. The music, the editing, the performances the scripting. 

Just stellar television.

• Upvote 1

I watched the first three of these yesterday, then went to watch the last episode, only to find it was removed from all streaming services at 11pm last night! 

• Empathy 4

Just watched over the last few days. 

Fucking hell.

Astounding performances from every single cast member.

Needs some awards for all involved.

• Upvote 2

On 28/05/2019 at 17:28, multiclunk said:

On 15/06/2019 at 01:50, Mawdlin said:

What a whisky chaser this is after Chernobyl. It's so refreshing to see some grown-up TV where you're invited to fill the gaps with your own interpretation. The way it gradually reveals, and unravels, is sublime. There's a palpable tension in every scene; almost unbearable at times but compelling nevertheless.

I now need to go watch everything Shane Meadows has ever done.

On 15/06/2019 at 08:46, cassidy said:

You are in for some of the best drama ever made. 

Dead mans shoes first, then This is england movie and then all of the this is england series. 

So true, I posted the quote below in the movie watchers thread after I'd started to watch The Virtues. 

I was off work sick for a few days last week and having started to watch Shane Meadows The Virtues on C4, I was in the mood to see some of his earlier stuff, so stuck on Dead Man's Shoes at 8am on Monday morning (it's on All4). Wow, that was a great watch, depressing, disturbing but just a brilliant revenge story that packs a huge punch in the end that just slowly dawns on you as you watch, and let's everything drop brilliantly into place. 

Its stayed in my mind since and is surely going to be in my top 10 for pictures watched this year. Paddy Considine, Toby Kebbel as his brother and Gary Stretch were all outstanding.

It's still pops into my mind 2 months after seeing it for the first time and I'm trying to pursuade my wife to watch it so I can see it again. 

• Upvote 1

I also saw Dead Man's Shoes recently and it's incredibly powerful. There's a reveal in it that I just didn't see coming, which made it all the more affecting. There's also some thematic crossovers with The Virtues.

I'm now a fan though I don't think I could watch more than a couple of his works every year.

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, Mawdlin said:

I also saw Dead Man's Shoes recently and it's incredibly powerful. There's a reveal in it that I just didn't see coming, which made it all the more affecting. There's also some thematic crossovers with The Virtues.

I'm now a fan though I don't think I could watch more than a couple of his works every year.

Romeo Brass next. Its phenomenal.

• Upvote 1