Ms flight sim has now added offical vr support - plays via link cable. Had to turn settings down low (as my rig is ancient these days) but was running fine and still looks stunning 

EDIT...

if your on a quest (using windows game pass version) you can play this cable free with Virtual desktop - to do this:

Right-click on your Start menu and select Run.

Type in “regedit” (without quotations) and hit Enter. This will launch the Registry Editor.

Locate the following key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Khronos\OpenXR\1

For ActiveRuntime change its value to the one that matches your platform (note: default path is shown below)

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\SteamVR

Close the Registry Editor. You are now ready to enter VR with your Oculus headset.

quick vid i made using VD to play 

Just got an email about the holiday sale. Games still aren't exactly cheap, but it's better than nothing.

Opinions wanted on these, please, and whether they're worth picking up from the Oculus Store to play them natively, or if I'd be better getting them cheaper from Steam and playing them via the Rift link (where applicable):

Vader Immortal Trilogy

Arizona Sunshine

Robo Recall

The Room VR

In Death Unchained

I Expect You to Die

Red Matter

Tetris Effect Connected (although I have this on Game Pass)

If you could only choose two, say, which ones would you get?

Annoyingly, Pistol Whip and Rez Infinite aren't on sale, otherwise they'd be my two choice picks.

Red matter is ace on the quest 2. One of my favourite buys. They have put alot of effort into quest 2 version visually and easily best looking game i seen on the quest. Right amount of difficulty to the puzzles and very immersive. Only downside I would say is the run time. Think I got around 5 hours out of it. Still well worth the money though

Been hammering Quest on a daily basis over past couple of months. Overall love it as much as first day I unboxed it. Since I had it, played through Rez, Red Matter, Tales from Galaxies Edge, Saints and Sinners, Alyx, Lone Echo and currently playing through Wilson's Heart. Really are some excellent titles native to quest and even more so if you have a decent pc at your disposal. 

Just picked up Drop Dead dual strike in sale as I fancied a house of the dead style shooter as I miss the days of my crt TV and light gun games which vr has plenty of haha.

Still got Asgards wrath to go through and Edge of nowhere so still plenty ahead. Anyone who says VR has no decent titles or is a gimmick hasn't delved deep enough into what's out there.

Also got elite strap for Xmas, defo alot better than standard strap, will see how long it lasts lol. 

Has anyone had problems with glasses lenses fogging up when using them with the Quest 2? I never had this as an issue with the original, but I’m finding the new one practically unusable until the relative temperatures equalise (which takes half an hour or so). Have taken to not wearing glasses when I want to play!

35 minutes ago, Jamie John said:

Got a bit pissed and accidentally on purpose bought Beat Saber and Superhot.

Beat saber is probably worth it, super hot not. I brought it on steam the other day, finished it in under an hour and refunded it. Great game but not worth the price imo

Just now, Hodge said:

Beat saber is probably worth it, super hot not. I brought it on steam the other day, finished it in under an hour and refunded it. Great game but not worth the price imo

Yeah, I've completed it on Switch already. Is it exactly the same game?

2 minutes ago, Jamie John said:

Yeah, I've completed it on Switch already. Is it exactly the same game?

As far as I know it is, but vr is on another level compared to standard version. As far as I'm aware there's nothing in oculus terms and conditions for refunds about finishing a game. You could easily clock it under 2 hours then refund it lol. I'm surprised they never added any extra free content to it like pistol whip has as its generated enough cash for them over the years.

Tried population one on quest last week to. Shows alot of promise and enjoyed my time with it but the lack of solo mode kills it for me as I struggle doing multiplayer with mic these days with constant distractions around me. Got a refund no problem on it, will try it again down the line as battle royale with climbing and flying around is ace.

52 minutes ago, Eighthours said:

Has anyone had problems with glasses lenses fogging up when using them with the Quest 2? I never had this as an issue with the original, but I’m finding the new one practically unusable until the relative temperatures equalise (which takes half an hour or so). Have taken to not wearing glasses when I want to play!

I wear glasses and find it a little worse on Q2 than 1. I do think it is probably more obvious right now due to the cold weather. Mine tend to clear up after about 5 minutes though.

On 17/12/2020 at 14:21, r1skbreak3r said:

I can recommend Ritchie's Plank Experience and videoing people's reactions to it. There's not much in terms of gameplay but it's a good crowd experience, especially if you set it up with a real plank. There are a few other modes where you fly around the buildings so it's not completely a one-trick pony.

Thanks for this recommendation. I played this today with my family, casting the Oculus to my TV and using an actual plank of wood I'd found behind the shed stacked up on a couple of books. Watching various family members screaming when they 'fell off' the plank was excellent, and the 

Spoiler

spider

cake was hilarious.

I almost feel bad for refunding it, seeing as we only played it for a thirty minutes...

I started —and finished— Red Matter last night. Very atmospheric, and probably the best looking Quest native game I've played. Still a third place in exploratory puzzle games to The Room and Shadow Point, but that's excellent company to be in and they all bring something different to the table.

52 minutes ago, schmojo said:

I started —and finished— Red Matter last night. Very atmospheric, and probably the best looking Quest native game I've played. Still a third place in exploratory puzzle games to The Room and Shadow Point, but that's excellent company to be in and they all bring something different to the table.

How long was it if you completed it in one evening? I bought it recently s well, but even for the sale price I was hoping it would be at least four or five hours long.

20 minutes ago, Jamie John said:

How long was it if you completed it in one evening? I bought it recently s well, but even for the sale price I was hoping it would be at least four or five hours long.

I'd probably guess it took me about three. Worth the £15, I'd say.

It's the first Oculus game I've played that refers to the FP-puzzle starter kit* a little, and I'm very well versed with those games. Though obviously this one offers some ingenious puzzle mechanics that aren't possible in the traditional desktop ones.

3nnkyavqqsu21.jpg

Is it just me or is the battery life in the Quest 2 not especially great? I played Tetris on it last night for about 90 minutes and by the end I was getting the low battery pop up. Is there anything that causes the battery to drain quickly? Apart from having the volume quite loud, I can't think what else it would be.

• Paulando changed the title to Oculus Quest