Oculus in general seems to be veering towards the Quest as the primary product line. With Oculus Link and wireless Virtual Desktop, the Rift S has no real USP.

And having a headset that needs to be tethered -and also doesn't have the screen door reduction that the Quest 2 has- for more money is just bananas. Though I do admire all the people on FB trying to panic-sell their Rift S headsets for more than the Quest 2s they're replacing them with.

32 minutes ago, schmojo said:

Oculus in general seems to be veering towards the Quest as the primary product line. With Oculus Link and wireless Virtual Desktop, the Rift S has no real USP.

And having a headset that needs to be tethered -and also doesn't have the screen door reduction that the Quest 2 has- for more money is just bananas. Though I do admire all the people on FB trying to panic-sell their Rift S headsets for more than the Quest 2s they're replacing them with.

It’s not veering, they’ve outright decided by discontinuing the Rift S without a replacement on the horizon. Quest is now the only game in town for Oculus going forwards.

so picked up medal of Honor earlier - was half expecting to refund it straight away as my pc is no where near even the stupid specs that they say you need.  (for reference i have I5 3570K 1060 gtx 6gb  20 gig ram)  so fired it up on the quest 1 via virtual desktop and to my surprise on medium settings it runs perfectly fine (Below is a vid i took of me playing)   - akward reloading as i was sitting on my office chair which makes it hard to grab mags of my hip 

I just bought a Quest 2 for my son for his birthday.  So far he loves it and I really enjoyed the bit of Vader immortal I played.  Coming from psvr which was impressive but a real faff to set up and play with the spaghetti of cables needed etc, it’s a real step up. We have a few questions though which hopefully the rllmuk hive mind can help with!

What’s the best case?  The official one seems expensive and has not great reviews on Amazon. Is that still the best bet? Or are there better alternatives?  I am dreading the dog getting hold of the controllers if they are just left lying around....

And, what is the best strap replacement?  The psvr strap was definitely better, and much easier to use to share the headset around, you could just twiddle the dial thing on the back to get a good fit.  The oculus one is pretty crisp in comparison.  Again is the official one the best to get (despite being out of stock everywhere)?

any other tips around how to get the best from the headset gratefully received!

2 minutes ago, Ant73 said:

What’s the best case?  The official one seems expensive and has not great reviews on Amazon. Is that still the best bet? Or are there better alternatives?  I am dreading the dog getting hold of the controllers if they are just left lying around....

Not sure if it's the best, but I got this one for mine and it does the job/ should keep it safe from dogs - 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07SVVMK4N?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

I thought the official case looked really good but couldn't bring myself to spend £50 on it!

@Ant73 I'd stick with the original strap for a while and see how you get on with it. I've found it surprisingly comfortable and it stays in place once adjusted, so unless you're planning on using the Quest a lot yourself, you can just adjust it for your son's head and keep it at those settings.

21 hours ago, papalazarou said:

so picked up medal of Honor earlier - was half expecting to refund it straight away as my pc is no where near even the stupid specs that they say you need.  (for reference i have I5 3570K 1060 gtx 6gb  20 gig ram)  so fired it up on the quest 1 via virtual desktop and to my surprise on medium settings it runs perfectly fine (Below is a vid i took of me playing)   - akward reloading as i was sitting on my office chair which makes it hard to grab mags of my hip 

Is it any good? The reviews I've seen haven't been overly favourable, I love WW2 games so I was quite looking forward to trying this but now I'm in two minds.

4 hours ago, iwan_canobi said:

Is it any good? The reviews I've seen haven't been overly favourable, I love WW2 games so I was quite looking forward to trying this but now I'm in two minds.

I’ve been enjoying it only just finished the first mission (about an hour long)  but it’s not a traditional shooter - it’s feel more like Vader immortal the way it plays out.

don’t get me wrong there is a lot of shooting and when the action  kicks in you feel like your In a ww2 movie (def had an inglorious basterds feel at one point near the end of the mission) 

On 13/12/2020 at 12:00, Ant73 said:

I've been quite impressed with this - it's nice and compact, comes with a lens protector and a wee bag for cables/batteries/etc, but it does mandate that you tighten the straps all the way down before the headset will fit in the case.

What are the best party games I can get for my Quest 2? I want to show it off to the (limited) family members I'll be seeing over the Christmas period. Am I right in thinking that there are games where you can stream it to a TV and the person wearing the headset sees something different? Might make for some good shenanigans.

Yeah, casting Keep Talking... ruins the game though. It's you in the headset and them reading the manual. You'll want a few printed copies of the manual.

There's another game called something like Acron, where you play as a tree, and they try and attack you via a Smartphone game. But the VR party game space hasn't been hugely explored yet. And I'm not sure there's anything that casts separate content to the TV.

That said, there's also plenty of fun to be had casting Beat Saber with custom songs. Just turn down the TV volume as there's about 0.5s lag. I think I sold two Quest 2s to other people on that alone.

I was thinking some kind of Pacman VS would be great, but you'd either have to have Pacman in first-person, or 4 VR headsets for ghosts.

Thanks both.

I don't have access to a printer, unfortunately, so Keep Talking wouldn't work.

I'd have thought there would be scope to make a game where the VR headset-wearing person sees something different from the other players, similar to those Nintendoland games on the Wii U where someone had the gamepad and the others watched what was on the telly.

@schmojo

Do you just need a smart TV in order to cast to it? And casting Beat Saber - do you mean just taking it in turns?

As suggested your best bet is Acron for a game that can be played by all and is different for the player in the headset, that doesn't involve casting as such but requires the other players to download the Acron game to their smart devices.

For casting you can either do that to the Oculus app on a smart device or you need a chromecast for your TV. Other option is to livestream to facebook and people can watch that. However I don't know what the lag on that is like.

You can play Keep Talking without printing off the instructions,you can just browse them on a smart device, although that isn't entirely optimal.

7 minutes ago, Jamie John said:

Thanks both.

I'd have thought there would be scope to make a game where the VR headset-wearing person sees something different from the other players, similar to those Nintendoland games on the Wii U where someone had the gamepad and the others watched what was on the telly.

@schmojo

Do you just need a smart TV in order to cast to it? And casting Beat Saber - do you mean just taking it in turns?

Get someone who does have access to a printer to go here: https://www.bombmanual.com/ and print the PDF. Totally worth it —I wouldn't be surprised if an online service will do it for buttons.

You need something compatible with Google Cast AFAIK, I use a 3rd Gen Chromecast (don't forget to make sure everything's on the same Wifi network). I don't believe Miracast is supported.  You can also cast to a browser, but you need to log in to your FB account. I think it's Oculus.com/cast or something.

Yeah, Beat Saber is for taking it in turns. It's a super intuitive game, and fun watching people get more flamboyant as the drinks flow.

3 minutes ago, schmojo said:

Get someone who does have access to a printer to go here: https://www.bombmanual.com/ and print the PDF. Totally worth it —I wouldn't be surprised if an online service will do it for buttons.

You need something compatible with Google Cast AFAIK, I use a 3rd Gen Chromecast (don't forget to make sure everything's on the same Wifi network). I don't believe Miracast is supported.  You can also cast to a browser, but you need to log in to your FB account. I think it's Oculus.com/cast or something.

Yeah, Beat Saber is for taking it in turns. It's a super intuitive game, and fun watching people get more flamboyant as the drinks flow.

Cheers. Can people not just look at the pdf of the manual on their phones, then? I supposed having the printout is more authentic!

It's more difficult. Flicking through the pages is a much more pleasant experience —and can create a more communal vibe.

Places like DoxDirect will do you a few double-sided copies for under a tenner total, but standard B&W prints are just fine. Mine are all loose pages.

32 minutes ago, Jamie John said:

Thanks both.

You can download the manual as a PDF to a tablet, maybe?

EDIT: As everyone else is talking about. Read down the page before replying, Eighthours! :lol:

On 16/12/2020 at 10:36, Jamie John said:

What are the best party games I can get for my Quest 2? I want to show it off to the (limited) family members I'll be seeing over the Christmas period. Am I right in thinking that there are games where you can stream it to a TV and the person wearing the headset sees something different? Might make for some good shenanigans.

I can recommend Ritchie's Plank Experience and videoing people's reactions to it. There's not much in terms of gameplay but it's a good crowd experience, especially if you set it up with a real plank. There are a few other modes where you fly around the buildings so it's not completely a one-trick pony.

40 minutes ago, metallicfrodo said:

Anyone tried Jurrasic Park Aftermath yet? I see it's by Coatsink who did the excellent Shadow Point so my interest is certainly piqued.

only played the opening first 5/10 mins (as kids wanted to play job simulator) but so far its seems decent and looks great (im on a quest 1)  suposed to be about 4-5 hours long and is similar to Alien Isolation, going to grab an hour later so will report back then once ive had a proper go on it 

Ok played 30 mins there and basically it’s alien isolation without the annoying joes hanging about - so if you like alien isolation then this is a good buy

edit... quick vid to show you what i mean that its basically isolation - just swop Alan for a raptor 

38 minutes ago, papalazarou said:

Ok played 30 mins there and basically it’s alien isolation without the annoying joes hanging about - so if you like alien isolation then this is a good buy

edit... quick vid to show you what i mean that its basically isolation - just swop Alan for a raptor 

Looks cool. Is there a blink option for movement?

• Paulando changed the title to Oculus Quest