Jump to content

Recommended Posts

35 minutes ago, Eighthours said:


Yes, for sure - just don’t think of it as your main gaming device. There’s a decent amount of cool stuff on it, and if you also have a gaming PC (I don’t), then even better.

 

EDIT: Actually, do you have the original Quest? Have just seen that you beat one of my Beat Saber scores (not hard).

 

Yep I do and I'm just average so :lol: I dunno if its worth going from 1 to 2. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Eighthours said:


Yes, for sure - just don’t think of it as your main gaming device

 

 

What do you mean by this? I thought Quest 2 was the best VR experience you can get for the price.

Also, if I get the 256GB headset, what lead do I need to connect to my PC and is there a good strap that won't cost a fortune?

Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, strider said:

What do you mean by this? I thought Quest 2 was the best VR experience you can get for the price.

Also, if I get the 256GB headset, what lead do I need to connect to my PC and is there a good strap that won't cost a fortune?


Not your main gaming device, as in it won’t replace your Xbox or PlayStation.

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, strider said:

When Steam says Oculus Rift, does that mean Quest 2 won't work with it? I really like the look of that Medal Of Honor game but it says Vive and Rift

Everything that works with Rift will work with Quest 2 via Oculus Link (basically using a USB 3 cable to your pc to your quest) or wirelessly via virtual desktop 

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, strider said:

 

I bought that one the other day. It works well. I've used it literally once, however, for the initial setup, as since then I've used the Virtual Desktop (i.e. wireless desktop connection) as it's just a lot more convenient for me and I don't have any signal issues. YMMV, however.

 

I'd question getting the 256gb Quest 2 over the 64gb one. Most games that you download to the actual unit aren't really that big, and you can always download them again and shuffle them about depending on what you're playing. I suppose if you want the convenience of having them all there then it might be worth it, but the 256GB one is £100 more just for the extra storage, which works out very expensively per gigabyte.

 

Remember that any Rift/PC games you download to the PC then stream, not the actual Quest. Asgard's Wrath, for example, is about 130gb and would therefore be unplayable on the 64gb Quest 2, but you download it to the PC. That new MoH game you mention is even bigger. For these sorts of games, the Oculus essentially serves as a monitor and controller - the PC is what's doing the actual heavy lifting.

 

Edit: re the strap. I haven't got one and I don't feel like I need one; you have to tinker with the harness a bit to begin with, but I find the default straps comfortable and secure enough. That's from playing relatively sedate games, however - I haven't played Beat Saber, or similar, yet, so you might want to check with people who have. It seems like a lot of money for what you actually get, though, if you do buy the Elite Strap.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Jamie John said:

Remember that any Rift/PC games you download to the PC then stream, not the actual Quest. Asgard's Wrath, for example, is about 130gb and would therefore be unplayable on the 64gb Quest 2, but you download it to the PC. That new MoH game you mention is even bigger. For these sorts of games, the Oculus essentially serves as a monitor and controller - the PC is what's doing the actual heavy lifting.

 

Surely if I use that cable I would play the games through that and not have to stream them, though? My wireless internet just doesn’t work in the shed so if I’m relying on streaming over WiFi even when I’m linked to my pc it’s probably best if I leave it 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, strider said:

Surely if I use that cable I would play the games through that and not have to stream them, though? My wireless internet just doesn’t work in the shed so if I’m relying on streaming over WiFi even when I’m linked to my pc it’s probably best if I leave it 

 

I mean, it seems a stretch that we'd know the current situation of wifi coverage in your shed and have to tailor our recommendations accordingly. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, cavalcade said:

 

I mean, it seems a stretch that we'd know the current situation of wifi coverage in your shed and have to tailor our recommendations accordingly. 

Sorry, I'm not being very helpful.

If I am sitting at my PC I get no wireless at all and I am reliant on using a power plug to get internet.

I can get internet by moving about 8 feet away from my PC and going to the other end of the shed, but then I'm not near the PC. I don't think my PC has any wireless stuff built into it like bluetooth.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Seems like your options are:

 

- Cable into your PC for Oculus Link, games driven by your PC. The Anker USB-C 5m is sub £20

- Can you get a Wifi AP for your powerline? That would possibly open up Virtual Desktop wireless, with games still driven by your PC, though the latency might be too much

- If you get a 5GHz Wifi adapter for your PC, you could use it as a Hotspot. Though I suspect you'd need your powerline adapters to be close to gigabit. I have no idea if that's possible.

 

Native Quest games are still fantastic, just less visually impressive, and they run entirely in headset. So it's probably that and the cable option.

Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, schmojo said:

Seems like your options are:

 

- Cable into your PC for Oculus Link, games driven by your PC. The Anker USB-C 5m is sub £20

- Can you get a Wifi AP for your powerline? That would possibly open up Virtual Desktop wireless, with games still driven by your PC, though the latency might be too much

- If you get a 5GHz Wifi adapter for your PC, you could use it as a Hotspot. Though I suspect you'd need your powerline adapters to be close to gigabit. I have no idea if that's possible.

 

Native Quest games are still fantastic, just less visually impressive, and they run entirely in headset. So it's probably that and the cable option.

Do you have a link for the Cable?

 

Is a WIFI AP like a booster? We've got one of those already but I can't detect it from my shed.

 

The PC Adaptor sounds possible, although I'm used to a cable having PSVR.

 

I think the thing I can't get my head around (despite all the advice) is whether I can play installed Quest games without being connected to the internet. If I only need to be connected wirelessly to download games or play multiplayer that's less of an issue.

 

I'm assuming that if I'm connected to my PC via a cable and my PC is on the internet I won't be on the internet with the quest.

 

Yes, I'm an idiot.

Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, strider said:

Do you have a link for the Cable?

 

Is a WIFI AP like a booster? We've got one of those already but I can't detect it from my shed.

 

The PC Adaptor sounds possible, although I'm used to a cable having PSVR.

 

I think the thing I can't get my head around (despite all the advice) is whether I can play installed Quest games without being connected to the internet. If I only need to be connected wirelessly to download games or play multiplayer that's less of an issue.

 

I'm assuming that if I'm connected to my PC via a cable and my PC is on the internet I won't be on the internet with the quest.

 

Yes, I'm an idiot.

 

You can. Or, at least, I could last week when my internet was out. Though there may be intermittent licence checks, and obviously you'll need to be online to get updates, messages, multi and new games.

 

This cable is recommended, although it doesn't have that nice 90 degree connector that the official one has. I haven't actually used cabled Oculus Link yet.

 

Quote

Is a WIFI AP like a booster?

 

I was thinking a Powerline node that actively has a Wireless AP built-in. I have no idea if these are a thing though. Hopefully someone more well-versed can help you out.

Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, strider said:

Do you have a link for the Cable?

 

Is a WIFI AP like a booster? We've got one of those already but I can't detect it from my shed.

 

The PC Adaptor sounds possible, although I'm used to a cable having PSVR.

 

I think the thing I can't get my head around (despite all the advice) is whether I can play installed Quest games without being connected to the internet. If I only need to be connected wirelessly to download games or play multiplayer that's less of an issue.

 

I'm assuming that if I'm connected to my PC via a cable and my PC is on the internet I won't be on the internet with the quest.

 

Yes, I'm an idiot.

 

The Quest is like a mobile phone, its a device all to itself and doesn't have to be connecting to a PC. You download games, programs etc. as if they were apps on your phone. Unless you are doing multiplayer games you don't need to be connected to the net all of the time and the headset will work perfectly without it. For things like internet, new downloads you will need to be online so just plan your sessions around that. Bit like using Airplane mode on your phone.

 

You can use your PC with your headset wirelessly (it's not the best so I wouldn't bother for games) or you can use a special lead for a faster connection. You can connect to an Oculus program on the PC with it to run some stuff or you can buy a bit of software on the Quest called Virtual Desktop. This will let you use the PC as if it was on your headset, you get to see a screen in front and you can use its remote to control things on the desktop. Fancy way of having 2 monitors or playing Steam games. I often go into the app and run a cinema mode to put yourself inside an actual picture house where you can watch massive films as if you were really there.

 

https://www.vrdesktop.net/

 

This is better than what Oculus offers but it can be a bit of a pain to setup first time so you need to follow the FAQ closely.

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Lorfarius said:

 

The Quest is like a mobile phone, its a device all to itself and doesn't have to be connecting to a PC. You download games, programs etc. as if they were apps on your phone. Unless you are doing multiplayer games you don't need to be connected to the net all of the time and the headset will work perfectly without it. For things like internet, new downloads you will need to be online so just plan your sessions around that. Bit like using Airplane mode on your phone.

 

You can use your PC with your headset wirelessly (it's not the best so I wouldn't bother for games) or you can use a special lead for a faster connection. You can connect to an Oculus program on the PC with it to run some stuff or you can buy a bit of software on the Quest called Virtual Desktop. This will let you use the PC as if it was on your headset, you get to see a screen in front and you can use its remote to control things on the desktop. Fancy way of having 2 monitors or playing Steam games. I often go into the app and run a cinema mode to put yourself inside an actual picture house where you can watch massive films as if you were really there.

 

https://www.vrdesktop.net/

 

This is better than what Oculus offers but it can be a bit of a pain to setup first time so you need to follow the FAQ closely.

Hang on.

So if my pc is connected to the internet via the powerplugs and is always online and I am in my front room with quest and sitting next to my router with a super fast connection to my quest will desktop work like that? 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, strider said:

Hang on.

So if my pc is connected to the internet via the powerplugs and is always online and I am in my front room with quest and sitting next to my router with a super fast connection to my quest will desktop work like that? 

 

 

Yep but sounds like there's a good distance there and not sure what your connection speed is between internet router and PC. The PC has to talk to your router first and the router passes the signal on and vice versa. It might drop a bit with wireless the further away you are. Depends on what you plan on doing.

 

If you want to play Quest games online you will be using it with the internet so PC isn't needed as it all goes out to the world through the router. Being in the house with it won't be a limitation its only when you want to make the PC and Quest talk to each other that you need to consider speed.

 

You can also download a Quest app to your phone which lets you buy the games and download them to the device automatically whenever its online. That will remove another need for PC if that's what you are thinking.

Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, strider said:

Hang on.

So if my pc is connected to the internet via the powerplugs and is always online and I am in my front room with quest and sitting next to my router with a super fast connection to my quest will desktop work like that? 

 

 

Yes. For VD, being close to the router is the most important thing, as long as the PC is cabled in.

 

And, as a bonus, VD lets you control the PC as you would if you were by it, including shutting it down. Absolutely laughing if you can turn the PC on remotely too.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, spatular said:

 

need more swing angle most likely!

 

How dare you, sir. I am a flamboyant Saberer.

 

Though in Audica it's a fucker when they expect you to move your hands 500m during a song. You're basically windmilling constantly.

Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, strider said:

So now I just need to decide on size.

 

64GB is perfectly manageable but can be a pain if you want to leave anything on their full time. I've owned the Q1 since launch and went for the 128GB model but never filled it much past 70GB even with several full time programs. Each game tends to be just a few GB in size and can be clocked in a few hours so you should be fine.

 

Just make sure you prioritise Beat Saber and Pistol Whip before anything else. Those are keepers!

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, schmojo said:

Yeah, I'm 64Gb. Buy that and spend the rest on games.

 

I've seen maybe a handful of games that are more than 3 gig (I think Star Wars is about 6, and Walking Dead is about 12 apparently), but many are only a gig or two.

The 64 is out of stock at amazon and currently the same price as the other one.

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, schmojo said:

Apart from the OLED and the halo strap (which will have a third party solution before long, I'm sure, buying a Rift S over a Quest 2 feels bonkers.

 

Oh. Ok, ignore me, then.

 

Why's that? Just because of the portable nature of the Quest?

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Paulando changed the title to Oculus Quest

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Use of this website is subject to our Privacy Policy, Terms of Use, and Guidelines.