Anyone getting a bit fed up during lockdown?... Stick Google maps on in VR go exploring around the world feel free again! And plan your next holiday...  It's a great experience... Especially holding up a controller to get a lens view of something...

If I'm using Virtual Desktop wirelessly, to get the best signal should I be as close as I can to the computer I'm streaming from or to the router that's transmitting the WiFi that's actually carrying the stream to my headset? I'm just wondering if I can get away with streaming Alyx from my PC upstairs to my living room downstairs where there's a bit more space for me to move around/cower in the corner at the slightest hint of there being a headcrab in the vicinity.

14 minutes ago, Jamie John said:

If I'm using Virtual Desktop wirelessly, to get the best signal should I be as close as I can to the computer I'm streaming from or to the router that's transmitting the WiFi that's actually carrying the stream to my headset? I'm just wondering if I can get away with streaming Alyx from my PC upstairs to my living room downstairs where there's a bit more space for me to move around/cower in the corner at the slightest hint of there being a headcrab in the vicinity.

Distance from the router. 

Shadow Point is reduced on the Rift store today, which is cross-buy with the Oculus Store, apparently.

Can anyone recommend it? Finding reviews for Oculus games, or VR games in general, is difficult, beyond the major releases, anyway. This is the puzzler with Patrick Stewart as narrator.

4 hours ago, Jamie John said:

Shadow Point is reduced on the Rift store today, which is cross-buy with the Oculus Store, apparently.

Can anyone recommend it? Finding reviews for Oculus games, or VR games in general, is difficult, beyond the major releases, anyway. This is the puzzler with Patrick Stewart as narrator.

I really enjoyed this. It starts off gently but there are some very clever and mind-bending puzzles later on, and I mean that in a good way.

5 hours ago, Jamie John said:

I’ve banged on about it in this thread loads, it’s excellent, highly recommend it. The best original launch title that still stands up against more recent releases.

54 minutes ago, Mawdlin said:

I really enjoyed this. It starts off gently but there are some very clever and mind-bending puzzles later on, and I mean that in a good way.

Just now, metallicfrodo said:

I’ve banged on about it in this thread loads, it’s excellent, highly recommend it. The best original launch title that still stands up against more recent releases.

Cheers both. I'll give it a go :) 

On 05/12/2020 at 14:56, klargon said:

Have just sold my Quest 2. After a series of emails and 2 live chats, I’m pretty certain that Oculus Support will never actually review my account suspension. They’re bafflingly incompetent. I’m so disappointed, as I’d really been sold on the headset. On the plus side, it seems the headsets are currently scarce, so I made a small profit.

Oh god, this just got worse.  After 2 weeks, I finally received a response from Oculus.  Apparently the headset (which I bought new from a private seller on eBay) was registered as lost in transit.  Of course, I would just return it to the seller in this case.  Except, I've fucking sold the thing to someone else, who will presumably suffer the exact same fate with their account.  I'm exasperated.

11 hours ago, Jamie John said:

Cheers both. I'll give it a go :) 

As a third recommendation, it's an utter no brainer if it's discounted. Even if it's not. Like The Room, I found myself rationing it towards the end, just because I didn't want it to finish.

I've seen Vorpx being used on games like Mirror's Edge and Dead Space and it's pushing me over the edge.

Do I need to be constantly connected to the internet to use Occulus wirelessly? My connection in my shed is terrible, so I use a wired connection.

Am I right in thinking I'd need to be tethered to play those sorts of games anyway?

5 minutes ago, strider said:

I've seen Vorpx being used on games like Mirror's Edge and Dead Space and it's pushing me over the edge.

Do I need to be constantly connected to the internet to use Occulus wirelessly? My connection in my shed is terrible, so I use a wired connection.

Am I right in thinking I'd need to be tethered to play those sorts of games anyway?

You can play many PC VR games wirelessly using Virtual Desktop, but I don't know how VorpX factors into that. 

And no you don't need an internet connection as far as I know, just a wireless connection to your router.

11 minutes ago, strider said:

You'll need to run them on your PC. You can then play them on the Oculus using either a cable connected to your PC or wirelessly using Virtual Desktop, but you'll need a good WiFi signal for the latter. Is your PC in your shed? If so, you can just connect to it using a cable. Otherwise, you're better off staying in the house, close to the router, then you can use Virtual Desktop to play wirelessly. I've been using it for the past week to play Alyx in my front room with the PC upstairs and it works a treat - no drops in signal or anything, very occasion artefacts on screen, but only for a couple of seconds, and you don't notice them so much in VR anyway.

Of course, any games you download to the Oculus itself you can play wherever.

8 minutes ago, Jamie John said:

Of course, any games you download to the Oculus itself you can play wherever.

And they don't need a wireless connection to my PC?

Sorry, trying to get my head around all this as I've been using PSVR for so long.

10 minutes ago, strider said:

And they don't need a wireless connection to my PC?

Sorry, trying to get my head around all this as I've been using PSVR for so long.

Only games you purchase from the Oculus Quest store can be installed directly to the Quest itself and then played wherever natively from the Oculus, without a internet connection. Oculus Rift games and Steam VR games have to be played from the PC and then tethered/streamed to the Quest.

That's my understanding, anyway. I've only had the Quest 2 for a week, though.

Haven't fired mine up for a couple of months and was like stepping into a new world on the latest update. They've added stuff like a free campaign to Pistol Whip (which is awesome!) and online modes to Beat Saber. I was a bit out of practice but soon managed to get in second place in an epic wand battle. I was half tempted to get rid but I want to keep it now :lol:

As much as I'm enjoying mine at the moment, I'm not sure how much of a shelf life it's going to have beyond the handful of good games you can buy for it already, and which have been out for a while. I've added about ten to my wishlist, and a few more Steam VR games, but beyond that there's not a huge amount else that I'm interested in, and gaming in general seems to largely ignore VR, especially with the new consoles now available.

We'll see. When it's good it's very good, though.

medal of honor is out tomorrow on steam - but at 177 gig (with over 300 gig space needed just to install) and the need for a super duper system just to meet minimum requirements for a game that early reviews peeps say looks like something from a couple of years ago and glitchy as hell - well done EA!!!   so will be pass for me 

53 minutes ago, Eighthours said:

Would anyone like to play Bridge Crew or Walkabout Mini Golf online over the next few days? (The latter is really great, so I shall keep promoting it!)

I wouldn't mind playing Bridge Crew. I have had it for ages but never played as I have no friends. :(

Will prob buy that golf game as well as it looks fun and is a decent price. 

When I got custom songs into Beat Saber, it was like Christmas. But now I've had to come to terms with the fact that the community can't produce them at the pace I can chew through them.

Still got the best part of 200 though. Which is nuts.

If anyone else is playing: have you noticed the grading getter harder? I used to get S rank all the time, and now it's usually A. And I've had an A for full-comboing a song too :sherlock:

3 hours ago, schmojo said:

When I got custom songs into Beat Saber, it was like Christmas. But now I've had to come to terms with the fact that the community can't produce them at the pace I can chew through them.

It made my game go all glitchy in the menus, like I couldn't scroll through anything and then the pointer would get stuck.  Had to uninstall it.  :(

28 minutes ago, Mitchell said:

It made my game go all glitchy in the menus, like I couldn't scroll through anything and then the pointer would get stuck.  Had to uninstall it.  :(

Happy to walk you through if you need a hand. The guides are a bit awkward, but playing with custom songs is the only way to play. And I'm pretty sure my near 200 songs takes up less than a gig. 

4 hours ago, Ry said:

I wouldn't mind playing Bridge Crew. I have had it for ages but never played as I have no friends. :(

Will prob buy that golf game as well as it looks fun and is a decent price. 

3 hours ago, metallicfrodo said:

I’d really like to play bridge crew as well.

Cool! My partner wants to play on her Quest as well, so that's a full crew. Let's arrange an evening!

13 minutes ago, Eighthours said:

Cool! My partner wants to play on her Quest as well, so that's a full crew. Let's arrange an evening!

No probs. When suits you?

What's your oculus name? (Im not sure how to add people but will figure it out :)

5 minutes ago, Ry said:

No probs. When suits you?

What's your oculus name? (Im not sure how to add people but will figure it out :)

My Oculus name is Eighthours. By the way, to play Bridge Crew with others you have to add them to your Ubisoft Connect friends list as the game doesn't allow invites via the main Oculus list. Which is ridiculous, but there you go! My Ubisoft Connect name is also Eighthours, and this needs to be accepted by the other person.

I think my partner and I are around tonight after 9pm, but I totally understand if that's too little notice for you both (@metallicfrodo). Let me know!

1 hour ago, Lorfarius said:

Is it worth getting a Quest 2?

Yes, for sure - just don’t think of it as your main gaming device. There’s a decent amount of cool stuff on it, and if you also have a gaming PC (I don’t), then even better.

EDIT: Actually, do you have the original Quest? Have just seen that you beat one of my Beat Saber scores (not hard).

• Paulando changed the title to Oculus Quest