Elite Strap arrived today from John Lewis - holy shit it doesn't just make the headset more comfortable - it genuinely makes it feel like an actual premium product and completes it. I know they wanted a 299 headline and a 50 buck strap helps them recoup some of the very likely big losses but jeez they did the headset a disservice by shipping it as a separate accessory. Way less faffing about to find a sweet spot too which over a few years of usage will save a LOT of time

Presumably the third parties will be pushing out 'Elite' straps for buttons before too long?

It doesn't look like more than about £3 worth of plastic. Really don't see why it would've blown the roof off the price point.

I mean, I want one, but I don't £50 want one.

1 hour ago, Uzi said:

Elite Strap arrived today from John Lewis - holy shit it doesn't just make the headset more comfortable - it genuinely makes it feel like an actual premium product and completes it. I know they wanted a 299 headline and a 50 buck strap helps them recoup some of the very likely big losses but jeez they did the headset a disservice by shipping it as a separate accessory. Way less faffing about to find a sweet spot too which over a few years of usage will save a LOT of time

Sold, will try and grab one. 

58 minutes ago, Uzi said:

Ahhh I told ya! Glad you took the plunge. It’s mad that it isn’t the default for a couple of extra bucks worth of plastic. 

So I played two hours of Saints and Sinners today. It’s very very good. You’re getting a moderate chunk of the HL Alyx experience there, running natively on the Quest. It does highlight the poor black levels of the lcd versus the oled in the Quest 1, but being able to read text with no SDE and improved tracking is a good trade off. I understand that their focus is bringing VR to as many people as possible and I can’t fault them for taking that approach. It was £270 for Pete’s sake. You’d have to spend £1500+ to get the full Valve Index Saints and Sinners experience on PC. 

Finally received my Q2 and I'm really impressed. The big complaint and concern hasn't been an issue for me at all: comfort.

After 2 hours play I'm finding it better than the Q1 for size and comfort even with the standard strap. I have a small head so perhaps this is the reason. I think I will hold off on the Elite and see if a third party one comes out next year but it hasn't been a concern in the short term.

Wow, that resolution. It's super crisp by comparison, easily the most obvious upgrade. And the colours really pop. The faded blacks have not been an issue so far but I've only played vibrant, colourful games like ProPutt Golf and Pistol Whip.

Niggling negatives:

Because the headset is narrower my glasses get wedged in when I take the headset off. I'm really nervous about scratching the lenses even with the spacer in.

The porthole effect seems more noticeable now, but I do wonder if this is just a memory glitch. I don't have a Q1 for comparison. Once I'm playing a game it fades into the background. Anyone else noticing this more on Q2?

The controllers don't fit my hands as well. Already got cramp in my little finger in the right hand. It's almost like it's been twisted to the inside. Guns don't feel quite as if you are holding a gun.

Still don't like the white but I can live with it.

Fantastic piece of kit for £299.

3 hours ago, Dark Soldier said:

Just done Half Life Alyx for half our.

Holy fucking shit thats the most wow factor I've had in gaming. Adore the first two games, almost had a tear in my eye.

It just gets better as well! Had proper goosebumps for the first 10 mins when I played it.

Looking forward to trying it with the resolution bump, but need to wait till I build a new PC.

20 minutes ago, klargon said:

I'm up for some Poker.  I always lose, though.  Feels like a really friendly atmosphere in the game.  Although, like all games that aren't for real money, it gets a bit silly - all-in's all round all the time!

If you go on the tables that are one level up in terms of stake, the all-ins pretty much vanish. And there’s a bit less props usage!

Been playing Beat Saber wirelessly through virtual desktop with the kids - such a good game with custom tracks. The only regret I have is not getting the elite strap. While it works absolutely fine on my bald bonce, my kids really struggle to keep the thing on with a full head of hair! Hopefully they will come back into stock soon, or a decent third party one appears.

It's such an easy thing to pick up and play as well, which was one of the biggest gripes I had about the WMR headset. No need to fiddle about to get things working, just pop it on and away you go. Even playing PC games just means switching it on and opening virtual desktop on the headset. 

53 minutes ago, Mawdlin said:

Anyone know how save game data works in transfer from Q1 to Q2?

Seems like some of my game data (ProPutt Golf) has transferred but most hasn't. It's a real bummer having to start Shadow Point from the start again.

Some games seem to recover a cloud sync, but it looks like some games don’t take advantage of that system. I’m back to square one on Beat Sabre, but Phantom Ops has my synced save.... 

I just folded and picked up a quest 2 this afternoon for my birthday! Ive never owned my own VR headset before and I have to say I'm really chuffed with it from first impressions!

Thankfully, it was dead easy to setup, it works well with my glasses on with the spacer fitted and the lense adjustment seems fine for me on the medium/ middle setting. I don't seem to have any issues with the standard strap either thankfully, so maybe able to save £50 on the elite strap.

A few novice questions I could do with some help with

Any reccomendations on "go to" apps or games to get started ? I've bought pistol whip and played the Beat Saber Demo which weve enjoyed this eve. It would be great if anyone could reccomend some essential experiences or games for a newbie? Free ones or demos are particularly of interest, as I can see myself spending alot quite quickly if I'm not careful but happy to pay for the odd game that's deemed essential!

As @The Mighty Ash mentions above, a decent case and lense cleaning advice would be handy.

My wife was wondering if there are any reccomendes fitness/ excercise apps?

I take it children shouldnt be allowed to use this until they are older? my son is 4 and I know he would love the batman Lego demo I tried but I'm errring on the side of caution as I think he has to be much older before he can try?

Finally and for a few months down the line, is it possible to buy an off the shelf budget gaming rig for £300 - £500 which would allow me to tap into PCVR games adequately? And is their inexpensive alternative third party cables that would do exactly the same job as the official but expensive oculus link cable?

21 minutes ago, Tim said:

I just folded and picked up a quest 2 this afternoon for my birthday! Ive never owned my own VR headset before and I have to say I'm really chuffed with it from first impressions!

Thankfully, it was dead easy to setup, it works well with my glasses on with the spacer fitted and the lense adjustment seems fine for me on the medium/ middle setting. I don't seem to have any issues with the standard strap either thankfully, so maybe able to save £50 on the elite strap.

A few novice questions I could do with some help with

Any reccomendations on "go to" apps or games to get started ? I've bought pistol whip and played the Beat Saber Demo which weve enjoyed this eve. It would be great if anyone could reccomend some essential experiences or games for a newbie? Free ones or demos are particularly of interest, as I can see myself spending alot quite quickly if I'm not careful but happy to pay for the odd game that's deemed essential!

As @The Mighty Ash mentions above, a decent case and lense cleaning advice would be handy.

My wife was wondering if there are any reccomendes fitness/ excercise apps?

I take it children shouldnt be allowed to use this until they are older? my son is 4 and I know he would love the batman Lego demo I tried but I'm errring on the side of caution as I think he has to be much older before he can try?

Finally and for a few months down the line, is it possible to buy an off the shelf budget gaming rig for £300 - £500 which would allow me to tap into PCVR games adequately? And is their inexpensive alternative third party cables that would do exactly the same job as the official but expensive oculus link cable?

I've had a lot of fun in RecRoom which is free and constantly evolving. Especially check out the paintball game.

I'd highly recommend Rez and Superhot. For sport I've really enjoyed Eleven ping pong but an unsung gem is ProPutt Golf.

Another quick tip if you're new to the format. Oculus has a very friendly and generous money back feature. You can purchase and try any game and if it doesn't click you can ask for a refund. As long as you haven't played it for longer than 2 hours (and you ask within a specified period) they will refund you in full.

It's even possible to play through something like Vader Immortal and still get your money back.

2 hours ago, The Mighty Ash said:

Any case recommendations? Also any tips for cleaning the lenses most welcome.

A simple microfibre cloth will do, you may have one with your TV (my old Samsung TV came with one and I use that).

36 minutes ago, Tim said:

Finally and for a few months down the line, is it possible to buy an off the shelf budget gaming rig for £300 - £500 which would allow me to tap into PCVR games adequately? 

As mawdlin has already recommended, Rez is an absolute must, even if (like me) you didn't like the original on PS2 back in the day. You've demo'd Beat Saber, but you really should buy it. Synth Riders is also supposed to be pretty decent.

When I got PSVR, my nephew was a month away from turning 7 and was fine with it, he's been fine with it since, but doesn't play in VR all  that often. I'd say 4 is a bit too soon.

Finally, no. Sorry that's a straight up no to your PC question. :( I'd say £800 as an absolute minimum, but really you're talking £1k.

12 minutes ago, Thor said:

A simple microfibre cloth will do, you may have one with your TV (my old Samsung TB came with on and I use that).

As mawdlin has already recommended, Rez is an absolute must, even if (like me) you didn't like the original on PS2 back in the day. You've demo'd Beat Saber, but you really should buy it. Synth Riders is also supposed to be pretty decent.

When I got PSVR, my nephew was a month away from turning 7 and was fine with it, he's been fine with it since, but doesn't play in VR all  that often. I'd say 4 is a bit too soon.

Finally, no. Sorry that's a straight up no to your PC question. :( I'd say £800 as an absolute minimum, but really you're talking £1k.

Thanks @Thor I will pick up Beat Saber & Rez with the cash I would have spent on a "cheap" gaming pc!

Another few questions if anyone can help -

Is there an inexpensive third party charging cable of a decent length (3m +) that can be reccomended? it would be great to watch a film without worrying the battery will go ove the regular 2 hour charge and the supplied cable is woefully short.

This might sound daft, but if I buy the "virtual desktop" for £14.99 from the Oculus store, does that then mean I can link my laptop via WiFi  and access/ play my steam games  using the "screen"  within the Oculus headset?

1 hour ago, Tim said:

@The Mighty Ash 

SideQuest. Though I'd generally advise spending as little as possible in the Oculus store until Facebook sorts out these account and moderation issues. They've also thrown £4-8 discounts at holdouts like me in the past, because I didn't buy anything.

Is there an inexpensive third party charging cable of a decent length (3m +) that can be reccomended? it would be great to watch a film without worrying the battery will go ove the regular 2 hour charge and the supplied cable is woefully short.

Classic. I use this for my Quest 1 for charging and Oculus Link.

I didn’t really like Rez in VR at all. Quite boring and made me feel sick. I’d much sooner recommend The Room VR, Until you fall, Superhot VR, Saints and Sinners, Pistol whip, Vader immortal etc. Each to his own though. 

• Paulando changed the title to Oculus Quest