My elite strap just arrived. Was pissed off at having to spend £50 for it but fucking hell it's essential. This should have been standard but I understand they had to keep costs down. 

I suppose £350 for the headset is a good deal, especially since I sold my Quest 1 for £500 6 weeks ago lol.

53 minutes ago, Ry said:

My elite strap just arrived. Was pissed off at having to spend £50 for it but fucking hell it's essential. This should have been standard but I understand they had to keep costs down. 

I suppose £350 for the headset is a good deal, especially since I sold my Quest 1 for £500 6 weeks ago lol.

100% it should have been packed in. They still have the Elite battery strap to sell the upgraders after all.

16 minutes ago, Herbalizer said:

DCS is free on Steam meant to be decent. I've never played it though

I'm thinking more about chilled out wingsuit/microlite/bird-style flying experiences. Native Quest ones too.

Oh, and any good racing games. How's Void Racer Extreme?

8 minutes ago, schmojo said:

I'm thinking more about chilled out wingsuit/microlite/bird-style flying experiences. Native Quest ones too.

Oh, and any good racing games. How's Void Racer Extreme?

Ultrawings is quite good.

I've been trying to buy the elite strap but sold out everywhere. Oculas have them for preorder but a 3 week wait. I'm too impatient for that.

This might be helpful if you find the stock strap lacking:

I've been surprisingly happy with mine once I adjusted it. It's definitely better than the Quest 1 version. I'm still going to get some adapters for the DAS once people start selling them, but for now I don't really notice the strap while playing.

9 hours ago, jonny_rat said:

I use mesh WiFi in the house and not sure I'm up for upgrading the whole thing. I have the Q2 next to the same node that the streaming PC is plugged into (max 100mb connection though, ugh) and it's not great. One issue is that it sometimes changes between a 2.4 and 5ghz connection, and there's no way to limit or control it.

I'm thinking about whacking a WiFi 6 access point in the PC and using that exclusively to send to the headset though..

On my virgin media router it is possible to split the channels.  I could have a 2.4ghz WiFi with its own SSID and password and another 5ghz WiFi with a separate SSID and password.

Depending on your router you might be able to do something the same.  

3 hours ago, schmojo said:

Anyone know what the best flying experiences are for the Quest?

How 'sim' do you want to go? UltraWings is lovely in a pretty casual kind of way. It's also possible to give yourself some proper nausea while you get used to it all, and there's some settings to help with that (basically closing in more of the cockpit). 

There's another one which @cavalcade said was good, think it's VTOL: https://store.steampowered.com/app/667970/VTOL_VR/ (you would have to Link or Virtual Desktop for it)

Those are both games where you use the standard Oculus controllers. If you've a HOTAS setup and Link you can get into sims like IL-2 and DCS, I feel personally like these are a level up as an experience but the barrier to entry and ease of use is a little higher.

https://www.roadtovr.com/vr-flight-combat-star-wars-squadrons/ may be of interest.

Yep, VTOL is probably the best "built for VR" flight sim there is - but you will need to play it on PC. It's the only sim that is entirely driven by the controllers - you flip switches and change MFDs by hand in the cockpit. The graphics are a little rudimentary and it's essentially a single person's pet project, but it is very good (and feels a lot like flying for real, which I have done, though only gliders :D). 

Clearly there are plenty of space sims that give you a flight like feel too - Elite Dangerous and Star Wars Squadrons for example. But again, require a PC. Here you're into using a pad or HOTAS (as you would with IL-2 or DCS) which is one of the big benefits of VTOL - which gives you an experience out of the box. 

Natively, Ultrawings is fine, if a bit slight, but it's probably your best bet. 

17 minutes ago, Simbo said:

On my virgin media router it is possible to split the channels.  I could have a 2.4ghz WiFi with its own SSID and password and another 5ghz WiFi with a separate SSID and password.

Depending on your router you might be able to do something the same.  

I think I've probably got the same virgin router as you - it'd work great, but I'm 2 floors up from it! Unfortunately the mesh boxes I've got don't let you do it. I'm not sure if any of them do; certainly not spotted one yet..

37 minutes ago, milko said:

How 'sim' do you want to go? UltraWings is lovely in a pretty casual kind of way. It's also possible to give yourself some proper nausea while you get used to it all, and there's some settings to help with that (basically closing in more of the cockpit). 

There's another one which @cavalcade said was good, think it's VTOL: https://store.steampowered.com/app/667970/VTOL_VR/ (you would have to Link or Virtual Desktop for it)

Those are both games where you use the standard Oculus controllers. If you've a HOTAS setup and Link you can get into sims like IL-2 and DCS, I feel personally like these are a level up as an experience but the barrier to entry and ease of use is a little higher.

https://www.roadtovr.com/vr-flight-combat-star-wars-squadrons/ may be of interest.

:lol: You've all gone way beyond me. I'm thinking more Pilotwings than Flight Sim. 

Or even something where you're a floating human just taking the scenery in. I'll give UltraWings a spin though.

6 hours ago, Ry said:

Where did you get your elite head strap from if you don't mind me asking.  Its in short supply everywhere

I'm had two absolute mind-blowing moments this evening.

On Ocean Rift, I waited for ages to see a humpback whale. Following the noises with trepidation instead of using the scanner. After getting used to the serene, if sparse space, it started to appear. I lost my breath for a moment. And then I see there's a Mosasaur bit in it too!

I also got The Room. I'm a huge fan of the mobile games, and have always been secretly sad that these kind of impossible, convoluted Da Vinci machines could never be made real. This is as close as anything, and I'm hugely impressed. The translation of physical movement to satisfying end results, the more direct, relatable interaction than the touchscreen games. Spent a comfortable hour in it, and only stopped to ration the game. I want to buy a friend a copy to jack up the sales and guarantee more.

This thing will bankrupt me, and I will not care one bit.

2 hours ago, simms said:

Where did you get your elite head strap from if you don't mind me asking.  Its in short supply everywhere

John Lewis.

As soon as my quest arrived I opened the box and tried it on. Knew instantly I needed an elite and ordered right away. 

Looking at the store is a pleasant experience right now. There’s loads of great stuff to play natively. Walking Dead. Until you fall. Beat Saber multiplayer. Rez. Tetris. Lies Beneath. Superhot, Pistol Whip. The Room. Etc. I realise I’m just listing random games but it does feel like it’s reaching some sort of critical mass of content for a new user. 

• Paulando changed the title to Oculus Quest