Oculus Quest

Paulando

It never bothered me initially but I cannot use the headset without huge pressure on my temple/forehead which is really uncomfortable.  I've already got the Elite headstrap with the built-in battery and leather VR face cover that was offered for free by Oculus.  I cant work out whether it would be better to try another face cover with more cushioning or a different headstrap with a halo design.  Any suggestions? 

After seeing it at the top of a recommended list I decided to use one of my 30% off vouchers on Puzzling Places. It's like one of those 3D Jigsaw Puzzle sets but in VR.

As someone was only mildly into the classic 2D Jigsaws and never bothered with the 3D ones I was blown away.  There's just something about being able to enter a space where all the puzzle pieces are neatly laid out on kind of VR racks as well as reference photos showing what the completed thing/environment should look like and you can summon each piece/photo to your hand, turn them around in your grip as you examine them and then be able to dismiss them back to their place or 'hang' them in the air while you turn your attention to other pieces. It was just so easy and intuitive to put together a section of ancient monument and then just grab and move it off to the side while I did another section and then grab each assembled section and turn them around in my grip as I figured out how to fit them together.

The sound is really well done too, playing little atmospheric snippets depending on what piece(s) you are currently examining/holding.

I suppose your mileage may vary depending on how much you like Jigsaw Puzzles, but the extremely easy and intuitive way you can interact with this software demonstrates just how great VR can be for interfaces.

Good lord, I stumbled across a video of Unplugged with the air guitar stuff... I've never played such an amazing VR experience. Feel like a loon swinging my hands around all day strumming an air guitar but damn it feels cool 😎.. with the curtains shut of course.

I’m part of a Facebook oculus group, they’re always banging on about how to improve battery life and extra battery packs. I can only stick the thing for 20 or so minutes, I can’t understand how people can use it for 2-3 hours straight. 

On 28/05/2022 at 14:23, the_debaser said:

I’m part of a Facebook oculus group, they’re always banging on about how to improve battery life and extra battery packs. I can only stick the thing for 20 or so minutes, I can’t understand how people can use it for 2-3 hours straight. 

Done a couple of hours this afternoon without issue.. what's your problem with it? Maybe it needs adjusting in the settings/lenses?

Dunno, I just get tired using it. I have the elite head strap and it fits perfectly, but a few hours would be too much for me. To be fair I mostly play walkabout golf which is perfect for shorts blasts. 

2 hours ago, the_debaser said:

Dunno, I just get tired using it. I have the elite head strap and it fits perfectly, but a few hours would be too much for me. To be fair I mostly play walkabout golf which is perfect for shorts blasts. 

Have you got a battery on the pack providing some counterweight to the front piece? That can help if you are struggling.

Unplugged is so good I'm thinking of quitting my job and joining a rockband 🤣 Out of all the VR experiences I've played over the years this is the first one where I've actually felt fully immersed and rocking along with a band. It's an incredibly sensation and after an hour straight I'm pouring with straight, so much work! But so so much fun. You lot owe it to yourselves to play this one, its epic. Now I'm going to lay down for a bit.

17 minutes ago, Lorfarius said:

Unplugged is so good I'm thinking of quitting my job and joining a rockband 🤣 Out of all the VR experiences I've played over the years this is the first one where I've actually felt fully immersed and rocking along with a band. It's an incredibly sensation and after an hour straight I'm pouring with straight, so much work! But so so much fun. You lot owe it to yourselves to play this one, its epic. Now I'm going to lay down for a bit.

I haven't tried this but I love rhythm games, so I'll remember to pick this up!

WHO WANTS TO PLAY WALKABOUT MINI GOLF OVER THE JUBILEE? Let's pick a time and actually do it. (By the way, a new DLC course is out tomorrow!)

Can’t find a thread for this so I’ll post it here.

My 11 year old nephew’s asked for a cheap VR headset that’s compatible with his Nokia 1.4. for his birthday.

Does such a thing exist?

48 minutes ago, Eighthours said:

WHO WANTS TO PLAY WALKABOUT MINI GOLF OVER THE JUBILEE? Let's pick a time and actually do it. (By the way, a new DLC course is out tomorrow!)

Yes please! 

1 hour ago, Lorfarius said:

Just bought that minigolf game. I'll give it a go later.

Secret best game on the Quest! Particularly in multiplayer, where it's so gloriously relaxing to play a round of minigolf while having a chat.

5 hours ago, Eighthours said:

Ooh, is it the Myst Island that's out tomorrow??

I'd love to join a multiplayer session if I'm around tomorrow, never done any VR multiplayer at all

1 hour ago, multi said:

Ooh, is it the Myst Island that's out tomorrow??

I'd love to join a multiplayer session if I'm around tomorrow, never done any VR multiplayer at all

Nope, it's a course called El Dorado which is part of their 'Lost Cities' DLC series. The Myst one and the Labyrinth one aren't out until later in the year.

Getting multiplayer set up is super easy. We just agree on a name for the room (I suggest 'rllmuk' - how original), one of us starts it, then anyone can join the session by typing the room name in the 'join room' option. This will work every time, so anyone who wants to play at any point in the future can use the same name, and anyone can then join them. It's very drop in, drop out!

Everyone needs to own whichever course the host (who is the first person in) decides to play in order for a round to start, though, so we should go for one of the many courses you get with the game by default if not everyone has the DLC stuff.

There's a maximum player count of 5 - if we're under that, then I'm sure my partner will want to play too.

6 hours ago, sbrandon111 said:

The new fallout boy music pack for Beat Saber is great. Now i just need to beat my nemesis @Speech on the leaderboards :)

Any attempts at my Beat Saber scores are always welcome! 😄

5 hours ago, Eighthours said:

Everyone needs to own whichever course the host (who is the first person in) decides to play in order for a round to start, though, so we should go for one of the many courses you get with the game by default if not everyone has the DLC stuff.

That’s not right, one of the amazing things about this game is that only the host needs to own the course, everyone else can play as a guest. They can’t find the hidden balls or the Treasure hunt on the difficult version but they can play either version of the course.

59 minutes ago, metallicfrodo said:

That’s not right, one of the amazing things about this game is that only the host needs to own the course, everyone else can play as a guest. They can’t find the hidden balls or the Treasure hunt on the difficult version but they can play either version of the course.

Oh yeah, you’re right! Sorry all.

OK, I’m officially cancelling 2pm! Please can anyone who’s interested in having a Walkabout rllmuk session suggest another time over the next few days? I can be around pretty much any time other than tomorrow night.

56 minutes ago, Fletch said:

I would like to play at some point but going away this weekend. 

How do you add people, is it just a Facebook thing? 

Add proper friends via the headset. But you can get in a Walkabout room just by typing in the name of the room.

Just had a quick 18 holes on the starter set in Walkabout and managed to get 2 under Par. Not bad and its fairly accurate, did try hitting a proper swing on the driving range but managed to clip the lamp on my upswing 🤣 Might be up for someo online games at some point, just add Lorfarius as a friend.

I finally got the last gold record on the easy level of Unplugged which is quite the achievement. You would think it would be laughable at that level but the last few tracks and thought my fingers were going to break. Was jumping up and down the fingerboard like they were going to fall off, its surprising just how well it works even with nothing actually there. I did find I have a habit to look up as I play which can make the hands lose position but I'm slowly getting better at keeping my focus on it. I love how the audience throws thongs and bra's at the end depending on how well you play but I've never been able to get more than 3 before it gives out the results screen.

Was going to have a quick go then focus on some golf but my arms feel like they are going to fall off so maybe later 🤣