IGNORED

Oculus Quest

Paulando

So this was super interesting - after ignoring VR chat I’m tempted to go (and scared of) exploring. 

the bit about it being ‘the old internet’ makes so much sense. 

On 17/05/2022 at 15:28, Lorfarius said:

So any interesting apps/experiences to try that aren't games?

Brink Traveller, Vermilion painting and Kingspray graffiti are all very interesting.

On 17/05/2022 at 14:28, Lorfarius said:

So any interesting apps/experiences to try that aren't games?

Mission iss is pretty good let’s you explore the international space station as well as space walk etc.    Titanic vr on steam is also pretty decent allows  you to pilot a sub arround the wreck of the titanic and then a rover to pilot inside the wreck (also has a 15 min experience of a passenger leaving the ship on on the life boats and watching as it sinks)

22 hours ago, LaveDisco said:

So this was super interesting - after ignoring VR chat I’m tempted to go (and scared of) exploring. 

the bit about it being ‘the old internet’ makes so much sense. 

This videos is brilliant, thanks for sharing

23 hours ago, sbrandon111 said:

Check Wander out, my favourite app on the quest :)

I've fancied one of these travel apps for ages.  Will check it out, cheers.

My son is playing Blade & Sorcery on his Quest 2 and he’s seen there’s a mod out for lightsabers on Nexus Mods.

He’s logged in through the browser on the Quest and downloaded the mod, but he’s stuck on how to install that into the game.

Can anyone help me get this working for him? Thanks!

2 hours ago, Stejay said:

I've fancied one of these travel apps for ages.  Will check it out, cheers.

It's amazing. I actually use it when scoping out holidays to check out where the hotels are, routes etc. It's always fun to revisit old places you've been on holiday for a walk around too :)

1 hour ago, JPL said:

My son is playing Blade & Sorcery on his Quest 2 and he’s seen there’s a mod out for lightsabers on Nexus Mods.

He’s logged in through the browser on the Quest and downloaded the mod, but he’s stuck on how to install that into the game.

Can anyone help me get this working for him? Thanks!

Have you put SideQuest on the Quest?

4 minutes ago, JPL said:

No, I don’t think he has. I’ll take a look if that’s what we need.

Yeah if its any modded stuff you always need to run SideQuest to install stuff. It loads an app on your PC then when you plug the Quest into the PC can access/install apps. Sites pretty good with its instructions.

41 minutes ago, Lorfarius said:

Yeah if its any modded stuff you always need to run SideQuest to install stuff. It loads an app on your PC then when you plug the Quest into the PC can access/install apps. Sites pretty good with its instructions.

Thanks. I hope it works on Mac as we don’t have any PCs in the house.

9 minutes ago, JPL said:

Thanks. I hope it works on Mac as we don’t have any PCs in the house.

Yep looks like there's a Mac version. You should be able to connect it wirelessly but I use a lead with mine.

2 hours ago, sbrandon111 said:

It's amazing. I actually use it when scoping out holidays to check out where the hotels are, routes etc. It's always fun to revisit old places you've been on holiday for a walk around too :)

Grabbed it, cheers. Only had a quick look so far as my battery needs charging as I’ve finally listening to like *everyone* *ever* and also bought Walkabout Mini Golf. My word, it really is something special, isn’t it?

@Lorfarius Just want to say thanks for the help today. I finally managed to get it sorted with the help of Sidequest, even though my son had downloaded a mod for a different version of the game which had me stumped for a while!

8 hours ago, JPL said:

@Lorfarius Just want to say thanks for the help today. I finally managed to get it sorted with the help of Sidequest, even though my son had downloaded a mod for a different version of the game which had me stumped for a while!

Good news 😃 Worth having a look the SQ store as there's loads of interesting things on there to try.

yeah the SQ store has nice hidden gems - if you havent tried it grab tea for god (its free) basically it turns what ever size your play space is,  into a continuous maze (with occasional robot killing) 

you can also grab all the DR Beef stuff from there like Doom 3, RTCW, Quake 3 , half life vr mods etc that can all be installed to the quest.   

If minecraft is your thing then (and you own the java version) you can install quest craft from there as well which lets you play minecraft java directly on your quest (been having a lot of fun playing on the middle earth sever with this) 

highbow on there is also a really good free archery multiplayer game :

Is it worth getting the 64GB quest 2? Someone is selling one locally on Facebook Market and I am tempted.  

Am i right in thinking you can't expand the memory with SD cards? also do you get the full 64gb or does the OS take some of that up?

14 minutes ago, tobert said:

Is it worth getting the 64GB quest 2? Someone is selling one locally on Facebook Market and I am tempted.  

Am i right in thinking you can't expand the memory with SD cards? also do you get the full 64gb or does the OS take some of that up?

I wouldn't buy a 64GB at this point, personally. Games are getting bigger. And yes, there's no way to expand the memory. The OS takes up some memory but I'm not sure how much - again, with so many updates to the firmware the footprint of the OS will likely get ever bigger.

How much are they selling it for, out of interest? That could also be a factor. £150, say, and it's probably worth it. Anywhere north of £200 I'd be cautious and either wait for a 128GB seller or save up to buy direct.

sorry one more question; I don't have a PC so will i miss out on a lot of the good stuff with quest (no PCVR games obviously but also side loading etc)

Just now, Eighthours said:

I wouldn't buy a 64GB at this point, personally. Games are getting bigger. And yes, there's no way to expand the memory. The OS takes up some memory but I'm not sure how much - again, with so many updates to the firmware the footprint of the OS will likely get ever bigger.

How much are they selling it for, out of interest? That could also be a factor. £150, say, and it's probably worth it. Anywhere north of £200 I'd be cautious and either wait for a 128GB seller or save up to buy direct.

They are looking for £220, it comes with the elite strap and a carry case

1 hour ago, tobert said:

I wouldn't bother, pay a bit more and get a 128GB from Facebook marketplace or eBay as you will really need the space. A lot of the older games are 1-3GB but a fair few of the newer ones are much larger. You don't want to have to keep downloading stuff as a lot of it is very pick up and play. Much better to have it all in one spot in my experience.

Firewatch is prob one of my fav games of the last 10 years…. Firewatch in vr is just something  stunning… if I didn’t know this was a mod I would swear it’s a proper vr release of the game it’s that good and polished (far better than some offical vr ports of games).

A quick vid I made 

another day and another cool VR experience.  Some french guy is making a vr remaster of Jedi Knight 2 - and has released a playable tech demo.  played it this morning and its pretty cool even at this early stage.  while the guy in the vid below says there are no forces powers in the demo there is a basic force push using the left controller holding both trigger and grip at the same time then letting go sends out a push shock wave.

On 20/05/2022 at 11:27, tobert said:

Not worth it at all. I got a brand new 128g last December for £250.

picked up police procedure - disturbance vr on app lab and been having a blast with it.   you are a police officer attending various senarios at houses and you have to react (or not) with the appropriate responce ie someone becomes agitated and charges you with a knife you can tazer or use your side arm -but if you use the wrong amount of force depending on the senario then its game over and  you start from the beginning.  The aim is to complete 30 years of service with each senario amounting to 1 year - so 30 in total)  its all done in a very tongue and cheek way - but for £4 its a great VR game https://www.oculus.com/experiences/quest/4887769861342815/