IGNORED

Oculus Quest

Paulando

12 hours ago, Garwoofoo said:

AirLink turned out to be quite a lot of hassle to set up, but once I got it up and running I tried Half-Life: Alyx without many expectations at all and was absolutely floored. It looks so incredibly good, clearly a big step up from native Quest stuff even running from my fairly elderly PC, and the remote streaming for me is completely flawless. No lag or hitching at all, just an amazing game running perfectly where it doesn't even feel that should even be possible. One of those moments where technology all comes together to show you a glimpse of the future.

What gfx card are you running that with out of interest?

54 minutes ago, Parappa said:

What gfx card are you running that with out of interest?

GTX 1070 with a 2014 i7 CPU - so a very long way from cutting edge. It defaulted to low settings but in all honesty it still looks incredible, I bumped it up to medium and that seemed to run fine too. Colour me impressed. 

15 hours ago, Garwoofoo said:

AirLink turned out to be quite a lot of hassle to set up, but once I got it up and running I tried Half-Life: Alyx without many expectations at all and was absolutely floored. It looks so incredibly good, clearly a big step up from native Quest stuff even running from my fairly elderly PC, and the remote streaming for me is completely flawless. No lag or hitching at all, just an amazing game running perfectly where it doesn't even feel that should even be possible. One of those moments where technology all comes together to show you a glimpse of the future.

I continue to be very jealous of this. I finally managed to get my laptop and Quest to see each other but the link is unusably laggy.

I think my basic BT Homehub just isn’t up to the job even though I’ve isolated the 5ghz signal.

Wired it works great but being tethered isn’t ideal for Alyx

1 hour ago, dreamylittledream said:

I continue to be very jealous of this. I finally managed to get my laptop and Quest to see each other but the link is unusably laggy.

Yeah I guess my wireless network setup is pretty much best case scenario for this - I’ve got the PC wired into the router, and the Quest running off a Wifi 6 mesh network, with a wired satellite about six feet away from where I’m standing. It’s still ridiculously impressive though, the experience is indistinguishable from playing natively with no perceptible lag at all, and the game itself is amazing. 

5 minutes ago, sir stiff_one said:

So my kid ‘upgraded’ from Win 10 to 11 and we can’t do Oculus Air Link. Is it possible to downgrade?

If it’s been upgraded within the last ten days then there should be a Go Back option in the Windows recovery settings. 

I bought TribeXR over the weekend. I was on an early alpha version but then shamefully never did much with it. Anyway, fancy learning how to DJ on a high-end setup costing upwards of £5k, painstakingly converted to virtual reality for £22.99? Yes please! I've always wanted to do this! There are interactive virtual lessons and explanations to teach you about the equipment and the basics of DJ'ing, regular live workshops that you can video call into, and then there's the whole thing of moving loads of your music onto the Quest, channelling your inner Fatboy Slim (I'm very current) and streaming out to the big wide world. Plus you can do back to back multiplayer DJ'ing with other VR friends or the Tribe community. Awesome! It's not a 'game', but it's a great tool for learning and applying a new skill.

On 13/02/2022 at 14:25, dreamylittledream said:

I think my basic BT Homehub just isn’t up to the job even though I’ve isolated the 5ghz signal.

Wired it works great but being tethered isn’t ideal for Alyx

I use Virtual Desktop over a basic BT Home Hub and it works flawlessly. Give that a shot?

23 hours ago, sir stiff_one said:

Ok interesting. So I just can’t see the option to turn it on then presumably. I’ve activated it on the headset, but where is the option on the app. It says go to settings>beta but it doesn’t seem to be there. 

Ok so the PC was on a wired connection and the headset on the wireless which is why they couldn’t see each other. But I have a mesh system and have no intention of dicking around with the house internet. Also messages saying the PC isn’t up to spec. (1650 with Ryzen 5 something). Oh well.

5 hours ago, sir stiff_one said:

Ok so the PC was on a wired connection and the headset on the wireless which is why they couldn’t see each other. But I have a mesh system and have no intention of dicking around with the house internet. Also messages saying the PC isn’t up to spec. (1650 with Ryzen 5 something). Oh well.

Have you tried Virtual Desktop? Weird as it sounds, it seems less demanding that Oculus's own solution. 

I know it's £15, but it's well spent. And you can refund it if it doesn't work.

8 hours ago, sir stiff_one said:

I've defo used a wired pc with Air Link. I thought the oculus connected via the router, not directly anyway?

That's really odd, they even specifically recommend that your PC is wired to the router for best results. Mine is wired too and it works fine. Might be worth jumping into the PC's network settings and just making sure it's all seen as a single (private) network as it should be.

I didn't have much success with Virtual Desktop. Games just didn't seem to launch properly for me, they'd stubbornly stay outside of VR or otherwise be quite glitchy. I refunded it in the end and stuck with Air Link, which works absolutely perfectly for me. It does seem to be one of those things where everybody's mileage differs, it seems most people have a strong preference for one or the other.

Minecraft Java is now available  to play natively on quest 2 via a new mod quest craft - you need to install the apk files via sideloader and also have a Java account (as you still need a minecraft java account to logon). But it works pretty well plus you can join existing servers by copying over your pc server list (I was able to play in the minecraft middle earth server no probs earlier) 

more details and install links on the offical discord channel https://discord.gg/questcraft

https://youtu.be/XAuuqGgoros

3 minutes ago, Pelekophoros said:

Looking at getting my lad one of these for his birthday (the OQ2). Reading up on it, the 128GB version seems more than adequate. He has a PC which is modern and good - what accessories are must haves?

If he wears glasses then the prescription lenses from vroptician.com are a literal game-changer. My pair arrived the other day and it's an almost unbelievable difference.

A proper head-strap is essential. The official Elite Strap is good but has a reputation for breaking easily. I got a third-party equivalent made by Kiwi and it's lovely, very well-suited to my large knobbly head too.

Other than that, you get pretty much everything you need in the box. If you want to link it to the PC with a lead, there's an official link cable, but I'd give it a go wirelessly first as for me at least the experience is perfectly fine.

I would say that you don’t really need anything. I found the included head strap absolutely fine. The main benefit from the elite battery strap for me is the counter weight, but it’s a bit of an extravagance. You can buy a cheaper cable than the official one if you want to wire it to the PC. I guess a case might be the most useful thing if it’s likely to be moved a lot and/or needs protecting. Don’t bother shelling out for the official one.

I own a halo strap, and have gone back to stock. Properly adjusted, the stock strap works just fine, and works much better than the halo for anything requiring a lot of movement.

I'd have said that a silicone cover was essential, but I think they provide one in the box now, so you're fine. Save the money for games.

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone else's Quest library gone fuckabout? Logged into it via Facebook as ever, and all the apps, purchase history is gone, both on app and headset. Not just me, support say they are 'investigating'.

Fuckin' Facebook, man.

Some guys are remaking Star Wars dark forces for vr (pc I’m afraid) but the demo runs great on quest 2 - wee vid I made of quick play on it. Using half life alyx style physics and hand interactions etc… 

• 3 weeks later...

So now new Walkabout courses until the Labyrinth one in Summer? 😥

I know it's PCVR, but that thread's dead. I just clocked Wanderer after probably nine or ten hours. It's pricy, £30 on Steam, I paid ~£20 from a third party site, but it's a high quality experience.

Basically it's a time-travel puzzle game that, whilst a lot more po-faced, brings Day of the Tentacle to mind in the puzzle styles, and incorporates puzzles that would only work in VR incredibly well. One of my favourite VR experiences so far, for sure. It feels like you're the Forrest Gump of historical tentpole events, but over centuries rather than years.

It's a little buggy - I had a crucial item just disappear and had to reload to the previous chapter, which gave me a generic loadout for that point in the game. Some of the action sequences also seem a little too tough at first, but it's usually because a tactical puzzle element hasn't been worked out yet.