Oculus Quest

Paulando

4 hours ago, metallicfrodo said:

Yes I appreciate it’s not recommended, more just if it was to work that way you know it’s a router setting.

Yep no that doesn’t work either, tried connecting to the Wi-Fi and being on Ethernet and disconnecting the cable altogether and no dice.

Highly annoying as no idea what’s causing it.

Sorry I not followed what you have have not tried

Have you tried VD for wireless connectivity?

My setup although I don't use airlink is - My Quest is on a different floor and room to my router. Quest connects wirelessly to my PC  -> PC connected via Ethernet to a mesh satellite -> That satellite connects wirelessly to another satellite -> That satellite is connected wirelessly to the router. 

This setup gives me a flawless Quest wireless connection to PC VR content.

10 hours ago, simms said:

Sorry I not followed what you have have not tried

Have you tried VD for wireless connectivity?

My setup although I don't use airlink is - My Quest is on a different floor and room to my router. Quest connects wirelessly to my PC  -> PC connected via Ethernet to a mesh satellite -> That satellite connects wirelessly to another satellite -> That satellite is connected wirelessly to the router. 

This setup gives me a flawless Quest wireless connection to PC VR content.

I’ve tried setting my network to private.

Connecting just to the same Wi-Fi network as the Quest (and Ethernet to it where it shows as the same SSID).

Rebooting both devices multiple times and toggling the air link on and off.

No matter what I do the Quest refuses to see my laptop when you turn on air link and try to pair, it just spins the circle thing and nothing shows up.

I haven’t tried virtual desktop as I suspect that would be a waste of £15 as something is clearly wrong with network as the two devices can’t see each other.

I have tried Bigscreen which has its own connection outside of Air Link just like Virtual Desktop and that also doesn’t work so fairly sure it would be no different.

Cable turned up today and that worked first time with seemingly little effort so I can now access PC stuff on the Quest but very annoying I can’t get the wireless even to attempt to work…

Finished Maskmaker (£15 on Steam) and I was impressed. The mask mechanics were both satisfyingly tactile, and well implemented for VR. The world and narration reminded me of Shadow Point, but I found them more serene and appealing.

The puzzles are unlikely to drive you mad, but there's something incredibly gratifying about the process, so even if you see the solution a way off, you still enjoy implementing it.

It's arguably not as inventive as their much shorter Fisherman's Tale, but it's more of a game at about 4 and a half hours —and definitely of a quality worth checking out. Not to mention a very entertaining end sequence.

It feels like it's potentially something that could be cut back to run on Quest natively, but I haven't heard anything about that yet, and it's been out the best part of a year.

Had a nice quiet forty minutes with The Room, which had me pondering if I'm becoming an old man as I'm beginning to really like stuff like this now. I also booted up RE4 for the first time and the quality of the job they've done is making me excited for what's to come for VR down the road. The setup process was ridiculously simple and slick and everything just works as it should - very impressive stuff.

Can you still refund apps you've used for under 2 hours? Virtual Desktop has it's own desktop streaming server, and has always worked instantly with me. To the extent I've never even tried Airlink.

Do you have a Plex server or anything you could try and see with Bigscreen?

1 hour ago, schmojo said:

Can you still refund apps you've used for under 2 hours? Virtual Desktop has it's own desktop streaming server, and has always worked instantly with me. To the extent I've never even tried Airlink.

Do you have a Plex server or anything you could try and see with Bigscreen?

You can true I’m just not convinced it’s going to be any more successful as the Bigscreen server also doesn’t work.

I’ll probably give it a go anyway at some point.

Might experiment with my sons laptop which is just VR readyish (1060 and an i5 8th gen). Should at least be able to see it even if juddery as hell when it connects

1 hour ago, Jonster said:

Have you tried disabling the integrated graphics card @dreamylittledream? I couldn't get airlink working but it was fine once I did that.

Yep tried that one too. No joy but I don’t think it’s graphics card related anyway as my laptop literally doesn’t even appear on air link on the quest.

As the cable seems to work well not too concerned but will have to be very careful playing stood up and I’m only really interested in playing HL Alyx (which can be played seated apparently so maybe i’ll just go with that….).

• 2 weeks later...
15 minutes ago, metallicfrodo said:

EDIT: Except that I won't as it appears to be Quest 2 only, boo!

same here, hanging for a Quest 3/Pro. There's a SteamVR version coming soon though, if PC link is an option for you.

Can very recommend Outer Wilds if anyone is looking for a good VR time killer. The mod is easy to set up with the mod manager* and feels almost VR native. Good performance on a GTX 1070 here too. 

£11.99 on Epic store at the moment or £8.99 on CDKeys. Gamepass version looks like more hassle to setup than Steam or Epic installs.  

* I had to uninstall the online mod then quickly press Start Game when the mod manager first loads (before it realises the online mod is missing) to get Index controllers to work for some reason.

I've finally rinsed the Star Wars Tales: Last Call DLC.

It's pretty brilliant, and provides a much more rounded game experience than the original game alone. It's packed with fan service, but also feels like they're experimenting with things that will also work on a larger scale or future games.

The side quests featuring

Spoiler

Jedi training and playing as IG-88

really mix things up, and the main game remains one of the best arcade shooters on the system. The little upgrades they've added to the main game in the DLC also make it more fun to play.

As a total package, it's one of my favourite Quest experiences so far.

Got my Quest 2 yesterday, it's ridiculously impressive and a significant step up from PSVR.

Not designed for glasses-wearers, though, is it? Even using a slightly smaller pair than my regular specs, it jams them into my face to the extent that the vision correction doesn't work properly and one eye is permanently out of focus. Plus of course I'm worried about scratching the lenses. I'm using the supplied glasses spacer and the silicone face cover and it's still not really helping.

Am I right in thinking that VROptician is my only real option here?

3 minutes ago, Garwoofoo said:

Got my Quest 2 yesterday, it's ridiculously impressive and a significant step up from PSVR.

Not designed for glasses-wearers, though, is it? Even using a slightly smaller pair than my regular specs, it jams them into my face to the extent that the vision correction doesn't work properly and one eye is permanently out of focus. Plus of course I'm worried about scratching the lenses. I'm using the supplied glasses spacer and the silicone face cover and it's still not really helping.

I didn't find the 2 that bad but opted for VROptician regardless, and I actually did scratch the lens of both my glasses and original Quest through glasses rubbing up against it (fixed with some scratch removal polish named Polywatch.)

I'm using the elite strap with mine, not sure if that's making a difference.  I also almost solely (well regularly at least) play Beat Saber, Thill of the Fight and Synth Riders, so it's all about sudden and jarring movement...

VROptician didn't take too long, and I ordered prior to xmas, they are nice quality, and really do improve the situation.

I had a slight astigmatism in my right eye, and may be adding 2+2 and getting 10, but right at the outer edges of the right 'screen' I still have a slight blur.  I don't notice it during play as generally, I'll move my head to focus.  I still have the glasses spacer fitted to mine.

24 minutes ago, Garwoofoo said:

I have no complaints with my VROptician lenses. They make using the Quest 2 so much easier. Plus if you’re showing anyone else the headset, you can pop the lenses off surprisingly easily.

53 minutes ago, Thor said:

Is it head shooting, or can you aim the weapons with your hands?

Edit: I watched the vid. Headshooting. Waste of time.

its full motion control so aiming with hands you can even hold the gun with both hands if you want for better stability (just tried a quick game with bots and it was great) 

Oh really? It didn't look like it in the vid, his hands were barely moving, and he appears to be shooting dead straight where he's looking. However, I was watching on mobile. My mistake. :)

AirLink turned out to be quite a lot of hassle to set up, but once I got it up and running I tried Half-Life: Alyx without many expectations at all and was absolutely floored. It looks so incredibly good, clearly a big step up from native Quest stuff even running from my fairly elderly PC, and the remote streaming for me is completely flawless. No lag or hitching at all, just an amazing game running perfectly where it doesn't even feel that should even be possible. One of those moments where technology all comes together to show you a glimpse of the future.