IGNORED

Oculus Quest

Paulando

On 05/12/2021 at 20:34, Harsin said:

22 hours ago, polygon_monkey said:

Where's the best place to get prescription lenses? My glasses getting pushed hard into the bridge of my nose is getting old. 

I got the ones @Harsin suggested and they have been great - very quick delivery.

Cheers, this reminded me I need to order some! I paid extra for the UPS Express delivery so hopefully they won’t take too long.

Did they get flagged for any import tax?

25 minutes ago, Zomby said:

Cheers, this reminded me I need to order some! I paid extra for the UPS Express delivery so hopefully they won’t take too long.

Did they get flagged for any import tax?

Not for me. 

There's one per hole on the easy/standard courses. You can check your watch/scorecard to see which you've got.

And the hard courses have their own little treasure hunts.

I got a couple of these for my boys for Christmas and they've been having a great time with them.

Personally I really want to give Half Life: Alyx a go, so what's the best way I can do this? Bear in mind I don't have a PC and will need to get one, so what's the most cost effective way to get it up and running. The PC won't be used for anything else other than this.

3 hours ago, polygon_monkey said:

I assume it's a pointless endeavour to try get HL: Alyx up and running on my 2018 i9 MacBook Pro via bootcamp/air link?

Its just about playable on my GTX 1650 via virtual desktop - for some reason it seems a lot better with virtual desktop than using the cable to the PC. 🤨

18 hours ago, polygon_monkey said:

Just did a round of walkabout mini golf with some friends and holy hell that's a killer app.

I got my Quest 2 yesterday and did a round of this by myself. Was still very fun and relaxing. 

46 minutes ago, polygon_monkey said:

Just side loaded Doom 3 and surely this was what the game was made for. Was John Carmack playing the really long game?

Doom 3 is amazing on the quest its nigh impossible to go back and play it flat screen once you have on quest.  Would love  quake 4  ported over.

Tried resi 7 with the vr mod earlier, and while it doesn’t use motion controls yet (controller only,  It looks amazing in vr (never tried the psvr version). 

1 hour ago, Zomby said:

Just a heads up that Red Matter is on sale for £12.21 for today only. I’ve nearly finished The Room and this was my next buy. Bonus!

I've just finished that and bought The Room. Cracking little game with some pretty impressive visuals running natively on the headset.

Sweet. Does it have an clue function like in The Room? I highly recommend turning off clues in The Room, makes it last longer. If you get stuck turn it off and come back to it after a break :)

6 minutes ago, Zomby said:

Sweet. Does it have an clue function like in The Room? I highly recommend turning off clues in The Room, makes it last longer. If you get stuck turn it off and come back to it after a break :)

I never checked - didn't need any as nothing was too obtuse. Never really played any puzzlers before this Christmas and Fisherman's Tale and this really are a perfect size for an evening or two's entertainment without getting stressed. If you haven't played Fisherman's Tale, buy that as well - it's brilliant.

I'll grab me slippers, eh?

3 hours ago, Tomdominer said:

Do you have a guide on how to do this?

https://www.doom3quest.com/

Has the info you need. If you don't have sidequest installed you will also need to do that, although there is a link to the instructions for that in that guide with videos including how to set up the developer account you will need.

While you are at it you might as well install Quake, Half Life and Return to Castlewolfenstein!

How do you get casting to work? I’d like to be able to cast this to a phone or tv so other people can join in (and I can help explain stuff to folks better) but I can’t get it to work.

6 minutes ago, scottcr said:

How do you get casting to work? I’d like to be able to cast this to a phone or tv so other people can join in (and I can help explain stuff to folks better) but I can’t get it to work.

Install the oculus app on your phone, which I assume you have to have set it up. There is a menu option in there to start casting*. Initially this will request the headset user to allow it (you can default it to allow without the message somewhere in the setting but I can't remember where)

EDIT: It's actually an icon on the top right of the homescreen, looks like a headset with a little wireless symbol over it. Just click that, it will then show you the Headsets it know about and you click on one of them.

10 minutes ago, metallicfrodo said:

https://www.doom3quest.com/

Has the info you need. If you don't have sidequest installed you will also need to do that, although there is a link to the instructions for that in that guide with videos including how to set up the developer account you will need.

While you are at it you might as well install Quake, Half Life and Return to Castlewolfenstein!

Shit, half-life?!

29 minutes ago, scottcr said:

Have you got a chromecast or have it built into your TV?  I have a gen1 chromecast and got it to work over Christmas

Resident Evil 4

I finished this at the back end of last year. Here's my review from another thread if anyone is swithering on buying it. (Do).

Easily the best narrative / adventure game native to Quest. It feels massive compared to the likes of Vader Immortal and Saints & Sinners. They've done a brilliant job converting it to VR and all the extra hands on lever pulling and gun-loading features gives you a sense of being there second to none. It's testament to how brilliant the original design was that this 16 year-old game still competes with anything else on the market right now. Little touches - such as villagers continuing to stumble towards you even though their heads have been blasted off, and being able to shoot sticks of dynamite out of their hands - makes more modern games like Arizona Sunshine feel pedestrian.

If there's one minor criticism it's that a couple of the boss fights have suffered in the conversion to VR. The leviathan fight, for instance, gives you no haptic feedback when you pierce it with spears and therefore felt a bit flat. It was also too easy. Free movement gives you too much leeway to run rings round the enemies and bar a few of the more epic pitched battles I breezed through this. (This latter criticism is probably offset by the unlocking of Professional mode once the first play through is achieved.)

9/10

23 hours ago, papalazarou said:

Yep half life (as well as opposing forces and blue shift - though only one can be installed at a time as you override the field when you put one of them on the quest). Half life is brilliant on the quest 

You can have all 3 installed if you use the lambda1VR launcher app

4 minutes ago, Tomdominer said:

Sorry to be utterly lazy and not do my own research, but does this run on the quest itself, or do you need to run it from the pc?

Runs on the quest itself after you’ve used any old PC with steam account to get it onto the quest

My girls went “halfers” on a Quest 2 and it arrived today. I spent an hour setting it up for them when they were at school.

I didn’t realise you could stream from PC wirelessly without downloading extra software?! I have a fair list of VR games on Steam, and the fact the girls can access them wirelessly in a different is amazing!

I got them Vacation Simulator as they’ve spent hours and hours on Job Simulator on my Rift S. Going to try out hand tracking later which looks cool. 

Lovely piece of kit, although I find my Rift S more comfortable, but not having a massive wire attached to you like you’re plugged into the Matrix is always handy!