Jump to content
IGNORED

Oculus Quest


Paulando
 Share

Recommended Posts

I once tried to use an Oculus30 on a discounted game and it was rejected. I think i was charged full price. After going into a chat with someone from Oculus they gave me a £10 credit (plus I still got to use the Oculus30 on something else). Looking on Reddit I'm not the only person to have experienced this so might be worth a try.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I wasn't convinced I was going to like Walkabout minigolf, but @Eighthourskept on going on about it, and with my 30% off code it was only 7.50 so I thought I'd take a risk.

 

OMG, it's amazing! It's so well done, the courses are lovely and it just plays so well. It's amazing how the little vibration in the controller makes you really feel like you actually hit the ball. I also liked it at the end of the first course when your view suddenly changes to high up and it all looks like a little model, it's wonderful. 

 

My mate has just got a Quest 2 so I'll be getting him to pick it up to have some relaxing games and chat together.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, metallicfrodo said:

I wasn't convinced I was going to like Walkabout minigolf, but @Eighthourskept on going on about it, and with my 30% off code it was only 7.50 so I thought I'd take a risk.

 

OMG, it's amazing! It's so well done, the courses are lovely and it just plays so well. It's amazing how the little vibration in the controller makes you really feel like you actually hit the ball. I also liked it at the end of the first course when your view suddenly changes to high up and it all looks like a little model, it's wonderful. 

 

My mate has just got a Quest 2 so I'll be getting him to pick it up to have some relaxing games and chat together.


Multiplayer is the best bit! It’s super easy to get going, and it’s so relaxing and fun. And competitive but in a nice way!

 

Still haven’t played this with any of you guys, we really should have a rllmuk session over New Year.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, Eighthours said:


Multiplayer is the best bit! It’s super easy to get going, and it’s so relaxing and fun. And competitive but in a nice way!

 

Still haven’t played this with any of you guys, we really should have a rllmuk session over New Year.

I'd be up for that. Walkabout Golf was brilliant when they had 4 courses; they've since added 4 free ones. I'm going to have to also buy the 2 DLC ones to support this team.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just finished Resident Evil 4 and it didn't disappoint.

 

Easily the best narrative / adventure game native to Quest. It feels massive compared to the likes of Vader Immortal and Saints & Sinners. They've done a brilliant job converting it to VR and all the extra hands on lever pulling and gun-loading features gives you a sense of being there second to none. It's testament to how brilliant the original design was that this 16 year-old game still competes with anything else on the market right now, VR or not. Little touches - such as villagers continuing to stumble towards you even though their heads have been blasted off, and being able to shoot sticks of dynamite out of their hands - makes more modern games like Arizona Sunshine feel pedestrian.

 

If there's one minor criticism it's that a couple of the boss fights have suffered in the conversion to VR. The leviathan fight, for instance, gives you no haptic feedback when you pierce it with spears and therefore felt a bit flat.

 

It was also too easy. Free movement gives you too much leeway to run rings round the enemies and bar a few of the more epic pitched battles I breezed through this. (This latter criticism is probably offset by the unlocking of Professional mode once the first play through is achieved.)

 

Still one of my favourite games of all time.

 

9/10

Link to comment
Share on other sites

39 minutes ago, klargon said:

That’s intentional isn’t it? It’s never worked on discounted games for me

I believe so. I tried it in error and there was some kind of kerfuffle where Oculus accepted it but my bank rejected it so I went into a chat box with Oculus and they gave me a £10 credit. So instead of getting 30 percent off I ended up getting more like 60 percent off, plus I could still use the Oculus30 on something else.

 

Anyway, I mention it as other people have experienced the same thing and been given a £10 credit (which also lasts for a year).

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, SteveH said:

@MawdlinHow's the knife fight with whatshisface? I'm embarrassed to say I never finished RE4 because I could never get past that segment.

Krauser? It's a doddle now. Around 6 QTE events with the controllers, although I believe the sequence is the same every time so you can learn the sequence Simon-style.

 

I looked back at the old version on YouTube and it did look a lot harder on PS2. I reckon you get more time to react now too. I'm 50 and genuinely rubbish at games so you'll be fine. The whole thing has been made more accessible. Just watch out for a couple of bullet-sponge enemies which need strategy rather than brute force.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Mawdlin said:

Krauser? It's a doddle now. Around 6 QTE events with the controllers, although I believe the sequence is the same every time so you can learn the sequence Simon-style.

 

I looked back at the old version on YouTube and it did look a lot harder on PS2. I reckon you get more time to react now too. 

That sounds more like it. My old age reactions might actually stand a chance :) Cheers

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Zomby said:

Has anyone played Onward or Larcenauts? I’m really enjoying shooter style games (Zombieland is my fave) and these two look pretty decent/fun.

I've played Onward but although the shooting and general mechanics are good there's a lot of dicks playing it, which really put me off.

 

I preferred Population One myself which has a broader user base and encourages team work (although there's the odd dick too).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Zomby said:

Has anyone played Onward or Larcenauts? I’m really enjoying shooter style games (Zombieland is my fave) and these two look pretty decent/fun.

pavlov is also on quest and free https://www.oculus.com/experiences/quest/3649611198468269/     onwards is ok a bit more serious in terms of game play (and as Mawdlin said above you can get some assholes playing who dont make time for new peeps learning the ropes).  Population one is also a lot of fun in a fortnite way (though as much as team play is grand i do wish they would bring in a permanent single player mode as well) 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Anyone got the D&D "lite" game Demeo?  I've been putting a few hours in and its great.  Not too keen on playing with total randoms though... so wondered if anyone here fancies  a game?  Its also in the current New year sale 30% off!

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

resident  evil 2,3,7 and 8 vr mods are now out - 2 and 3 have full motion controls while 7 and 8 are still wip and you need a controller to play them - mods can  be gotten from: https://github.com/praydog/REFramework/releases/tag/v1.1

 

had a quick blast on resi evil 3 and wow praydog has pulled of some kinda magic on  this (up there with alien isolation mod) run perfectly on my low spec pc (still rocking a 1060gtx) - made a quick vid (one note the game will be in 3rd person by default  in vr - you activate the mod menu via the insert key on the keyboard and enable first person in there) 

 

 

 


EDIT....

 

also gave resi evil 2 a try and its the same runs perfectly for me - feck my fav resi evil game in vr might as well tell  the wife and kids to say there good byes for the next day or two lol (my resi evil 2 vid) 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Nice gonna try this out this morning.  Shame RE7 is still WIP as I've yet to even play it flat screen (Ive been waiting years for Capcom to release the PC VR version *shakes fist*).  I'll probable hold on RE7 until motion controls are in and its in a more finished state. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, simms said:

Nice gonna try this out this morning.  Shame RE7 is still WIP as I've yet to even play it flat screen (Ive been waiting years for Capcom to release the PC VR version *shakes fist*).  I'll probable hold on RE7 until motion controls are in and its in a more finished state. 

only tried resi 2 and 3 but they run great up there with the alien isolation mod but with full motion control - the thing i love about vr in games you already know so well is that you can really appreciate the level of detail that goes into a game that you take for granted.  the opening at the start of resi 2 in the garage - in 2d flat screen yeah its your typical garage/shop you just walk through really not notincing anything.  In vr i found myself stoping and checking out all the stuff on the shelves etc... 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

one more update - tried resi evil 8 and even though praydog has already said this is only WIP at the min - its actually very playable even with motion control in it! (you can see it nees just a little bit more work but its nearly there) feck me the opening section is a heart attack on a plate in vr! - im just amazed these run so good on my 1060gtx 

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Tried RE 2 only so far and quite glitchy for me.  Trying to get the menu to change to first person was difficult as I couldn’t select anything.  Eventually got that to work.  I haven’t worked out how to run and when I pick up an object the menu screens end up behind me so I have to press the reset menu button every time.  Other than that it’s incredible being in RE2.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, simms said:

Tried RE 2 only so far and quite glitchy for me.  Trying to get the menu to change to first person was difficult as I couldn’t select anything.  Eventually got that to work.  I haven’t worked out how to run and when I pick up an object the menu screens end up behind me so I have to press the reset menu button every time.  Other than that it’s incredible being in RE2.

 

run is clicking in the left thumbstick on the touch controllers but only when you dont have the grip button pressed (that you use when firing ) hgavent had the issu with the menus they appear fine for me (so far) Praydog is using the flatscreen to VR discord for his release - so a good place to  check for any fixes or peeps with similar issues https://discord.gg/33uXnrHv

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

50 minutes ago, papalazarou said:

run is clicking in the left thumbstick on the touch controllers but only when you dont have the grip button pressed (that you use when firing ) hgavent had the issu with the menus they appear fine for me (so far) Praydog is using the flatscreen to VR discord for his release - so a good place to  check for any fixes or peeps with similar issues https://discord.gg/33uXnrHv

 


yeah I’ve been on that discord channel for the last few weeks.  Good resource for flat screen ports to VR.  I’d love to learn how to port to VR myself.  I’d port everything given time lol

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I've been messing about with Emu VR today, such a cool piece of software.  Allows you to relive childhood memories by setting up a bedroom with all your retro consoles and play the games on CRT screens.  You can download box art and build a virtual retro collection in VR.  You can even download and setup cartridge/cd artwork for your games.

 

www.emuvr.net

 

Trying to setup classic lightgun games like in the video below

 

 

Hope to get my virtual mancave to this level:

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 31/12/2021 at 18:34, Zomby said:

How easy is it to pick up? How long do sessions last? I try not to be on my quest more than an hour or so a night. I’ve been thinking about buying it but as you mention, I’m out off by playing with ransoms.

One of the main complaints on release was that there was no save option. they have now added a save option in between floors. I'd say an hour is enough to get through a floor. Its a great game and they have 3 specific dungeons to go through.

 

you can play on your own with 4 characters.

 

They have just added a Bard character and will be adding more DLC this year but i think it will be paid as the first 2 DLC dungeons are free. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   1 member

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Use of this website is subject to our Privacy Policy, Terms of Use, and Guidelines.