IGNORED

Oculus Quest

Paulando

Just grab Virtual Desktop instead of the cable if you have decent 5GHz WiFi. Worked great for me with PCVR.

I had worse results with the free Oculus WiFi link, but still very playable. But my house has bullshit thin walls that WiFi skates through.

13 minutes ago, the_debaser said:

Just got a quest 2. Are there any essential games? I’ve downloaded Resi 4 and Pistol Whip. 

Best saber is def a great one for when peeps are around.  If your looking  multiplayer then population one is a great in a  fortnite style way - if your after more straight forward shooter them onwards or Pavlov are where to go.  I quite like Jurassic world as it’s very reminiscent of alien isolation. 

Has anyone cracked setting up casting for when people want to watch you play beat saber? There is a bit of a lag when playing audio through my TV/soundbar so it is very distracting when playing.

I thought of wearing headphones when playing to block out the delayed TV audio. Although, that may take the fun out of it if the player can't hear the spectstors.. Thoughts?

2 hours ago, the_debaser said:

Just got a quest 2. Are there any essential games? I’ve downloaded Resi 4 and Pistol Whip. 

Superhot VR, Moss, Red Matter, Rez Infinite, Walking Dead and Beat Saber as already mentioned.

I’d also highly recommend Shadow Point and Down the Rabbit Hole.

I've just finished Half Life Alyx, I was absolutely amazed at how well it worked over Airlink considering that my PC is slightly below minimum specs for o5 (in terms of CPU only). As good as it is, I think Resident Evil 4 just edges it for me as as VR experience of the year overall in terms of pure enjoyment, but it’s close.

Haven't started Resi yet but I got round to properly starting and finishing Fisherman's Tale and I would heartily advise anyone with a headset to play it straight away. It lasts about two hours and was worth every penny of the eight quid I paid for it. This is the sort of thing I want to play in VR - absolutely magical from start to finish. Go in cold and lap every moment up. One of the most pleasant evenings I've had gaming for quite some time.

VR still has a lot of a way to go in terms of the ease of use. The quest 2 is mostly there buts there’s still lots of ‘now take the headset off to do this thing, that you kind of need the headset on to do. Eg. Adding your wifi to it.

Then there is the oculus link and air link stuff. What an absolute faff and only really accessible to the hardcore. Starting up oculus link requires a guide because as is the user experience doesn’t make sense. First it asks you if you want to trust the device and allow your pc to access it. Sure allow it. That means the link doesn’t work cos your pc just sees it as storage. Instead counter intuitively you have to decline which then means the link now works and a pop up appears to go in. I’m not sure how to do that without the pop up.

Then you are in another virtual world with a different layout to the quest and new buttons that don’t really explain themselves well. At this point I start up half life alyx, I instantly get an error about SteamVR isn’t running. Would have been helpful when you install a steam Vr game if it installed that too!

Once that’s installed I’m in another virtual world Steam have created with mystery meat buttons. There’s settings within this you can change for performance but they don’t seem to do anything? I figure out how to load half life from inside this menu. But it’s running kinda slow, my height level is set so it thinks my face is the ground and I’ve no idea how to bring up any menus. I push the oculus button and all hell breaks loose as it brings up the oculus menu, the steam menu and the half life pause menu all at once and the frame rate drops to 1 frame every few seconds. They’re all trying to interact at once!

Headset taken off I restart it all and try again. This time once in game theres just a massive black text box obscuring most of my view. The game is rendered behind it but it’s literally in the centre of my vision so I can’t do anything. This happened a few more times.

Eventually after about an hour I figure out how to change my height, only bring up the half life menu etc but this stuff really isn’t user friendly, even more so when you’re strapped into a headset. I’m someone who’s used VR before and pcs and played games for years and if I’m having trouble I can’t see how with how things are currently someone more casual or new to the scene will get anywhere.

Yeah the quest 2 itself is pretty user friendly but still has its UX issues that need to be ironed out and PCVR is a whole other level of pain.

18 hours ago, the_debaser said:

Not essential, but cheap for some decent and varied experiences:

(stolen from HUKD and I think posted a few pages back,8 games for about 12 quid if you use the code ALLKEYSHOP5

https://www.fanatical.com/en/bundle/fanatical-quest-vr-bundle?aff_track=CJ&CJEVENT=efec795a672111ec839a8e5b0a180511&utm_source=CJ&cj_pid=7988612&cj_aid=13797872

Accounting+ is.. short and erm different

Zombieland is decent 

Deathlap feels a bit half done and will test your sickness levels

Skyworld Kingdom Brawl is ok, I think I’d be more likely to play it more not in VR!

Haven’t tried the others but Ghost Giant seems to be well talked of.

Other actual essentials..

Walkabout Golf is great.

If you want fitness stuff, The Thrill of the Fight is good

Warplanes: WW1 Fighters impressed me

Synth Riders is another nice rhythm game, though not as good as Beat Saber

Got Half Life 1 running after a bit of faff with sidequest and it’s absolutely fantastic!

One or two minor improvements and it could be released as a £30 game like RE4

Im using the original models rather than the HD ones and it feels like I’m in Christmas 1998 again!

4 hours ago, Gorf said:

Got Half Life 1 running after a bit of faff with sidequest and it’s absolutely fantastic!

Im using the original models rather than the HD ones and it feels like I’m in Christmas 1998 again!

try return to castle wolfenstien  as it runs even better and could also easly be released as a ful priced release  

17 hours ago, Gorf said:

Doom 3 is amazing as well, looks the best of the lot, the lighting with the torch is fantastic.

Blaston is some of the best 1v1 multiplayer on the system, quietly.

I just bagged the DLC addon for Star Wars - Tales from the Galaxy's Edge, but had to complete the initial section again due to not having my save. Fortunately, I forgot how much I enjoy the game.

Beyond the Star War 'feel', it might be the best pop-up arcade shooter on the system. However... does anyone know why one particular add-on in the DLC doesn't seem to work?

Spoiler

It's the shoulder holsters. I think I've gotten them to work once in twenty tries. 

1 hour ago, metallicfrodo said:

Doom 3 is amazing as well, looks the best of the lot, the lighting with the torch is fantastic.

Yeah dr beefs doom 3 vr quest mod is fantastic with full motion controls etc..  actually all dr beefs stuff is great his original doom and quake mods 

For those who have just got quests for Xmas etc.. for pc vr gaming there are a couple of vr playable  games on game pass for pc including  Star Wars squadrons (which is stunning in vr). Ms flight sim (stunning if you have a pc that can run it) minecraft - which is one of my fav pc vr experiences 

On 28/12/2021 at 13:04, papalazarou said:

For those who have just got quests for Xmas etc.. for pc vr gaming there are a couple of vr playable  games on game pass for pc including  Star Wars squadrons (which is stunning in vr). Ms flight sim (stunning if you have a pc that can run it) minecraft - which is one of my fav pc vr experiences 

Also Tetris Effect, in case anyone was thinking of buying it from the Oculus Store.

On 26/10/2021 at 19:29, simms said:

I wasn't to sure where to put this but this seems to be the main all things VR thread

For those that have a decent PC (this will likely be performance heavy) and want more VR Resident Evil action, there is a Resident Evil 2 VR mod in the works, also what has me most excited is that these modders plan on adding VR mods to the rest of the series like 2, 3, 7 & Village!! If like me you've been waiting an age for Capcom to release RE7 VR on PC these pleases me greatly as they may do a even better job than what Capcom would as this RE2 VR mod allows for full motion control so correct me if I'm wrong RE7 on PSVR was only playable on a standard controller so if they add full motion controls to RE7 then :wub::wub:

In other news I bought RE4 VR on Oculus for 20.99 using one of the 30% codes they regular send me, so will hopefully give that a spin later

Video of a RE2 VR play through below:

The modder is looking to release his RE 2 and RE 3 VR mod to us as a New Years present

Got return to castle wolfenstein and doom 3 from steam following the recommendations above, rude not to for £1.19 each 

Return to castle wolfenstein is excellent but seriously difficult even on easy mode, I’ve had to try using the optional laser sight

Yet to try doom 3

Yeah I've had the 30% code a few times but never had the credit. I was about to buy Walkabout Mini Golf the other day, was on the purchase screen on my mobile but then got distracted. Came back the next day to see I had been sent the 30% code, so bought it then cheaper which was nice. Then today I've just got another 30% voucher.

The thing with the 30% voucher is I get stuck in this feeling that I really want to buy x, but y, which I kind of want, is much more expensive so I should use the voucher for that instead as I get more value from the voucher :rolleyes: