Oculus Quest - (Usernames in first post)

On 13/11/2020 at 07:43, Hodge said:

Well I finally tapped into the Rift/Steam VR side of my quest 2 after the cracking deal on humble store atm. Jury's out whether I will continue down the PC path as it is annoying being tied to a cable and resolution takes a hit. Ran the debug tool and upped bitrate, but you are unable to up resolution atm.

Been playing Saints and sinners and yeah looks nice on PC, but still rather take the hit on visuals and be running the quest 2 version. But with great pricing and exclusives on pc side, it's gonna be hard to take myself away from pc side anytime soon. Wilson's heart, Lone Echo, Edge of nowhere, Half Life Alyx. 

You can up the resolution, I tried this last night and it definitely felt like it made a big difference! Started playing through HL Alyx again and it was crystal clear. 

On 12/11/2020 at 13:50, schmojo said:

Some interesting looking straps have shown up on AliExpress. Gotta be worth trying one for 15-20 quid

image.png.60bb668fbd6ca8f6ae21a93f8d1ba417.pngimage.png.de48f43fba51dc0b7bf0084e6f8f16cd.png 

The first one is basically the Vive Deluxe Studio Strap, which I use with my Q1. I've had no complaints about comfort since I made the change.

For anyone who hasn't seen it, some good news for Quest 2 owners:

https://www.oculus.com/blog/the-first-gift-of-the-season-oculus-quest-update-adds-native-90hz-support-a-new-fitness-tracker-and-more/

Just picked up Saints & Sinners on Steam, so will give Quest Link a go later.  I'm not sure the compression is supposed to be very effective for AMD GPU's, but I guess we'll see what it comes out like.

On 14/11/2020 at 10:21, Welrain said:

Enjoying Drop Dead. It’s basically house of the dead and thats I wanted.  

Thanks for the recommendation, I'm really enjoying it so far.  I can't get pitchforks to work properly though.

I need Virtua Cop and Time Crisis type games now.

7 hours ago, Stejay said:

I need Virtua Cop and Time Crisis type games now.

Crisis VRigade and Shooting Arena on Sidequest (both free, Crisis is a lot of fun multiplayer).

Robo Recall is good on the Oculus store. Although I'd love something with a very similar visual style to Time Crisis.

Finished Shadow Point (well, the main story, it appears there are some hidden puzzles.)

Well worth a play. Ticks both the 'grown-up story of loss masquerading as fairytale' aesthetic and 'puzzles that make you feel right clever'. VR is great for these in some ways, because you can bend around the world in ways that wouldn't work with conventional games.

That said, it was a bit frustrating  at first because you can only interact with about 10% of objects lying around. Every game does that differently, and you can't always gauge if you're doing something right.

Anything new come out that's worth a look?

1 hour ago, Eighthours said:

Apparently the new update also improves the Quest 1's pixel density, resulting in better, shaper graphics! Huzzah for Q1 owners!

Huzzah indeed!!

in other news been playing minecraft vr (via the link cable, sadley doesn’t work with vd) and bought the new Star Wars mashup world pack and it’s there best one yet all the major original trilogy worlds / locations are there and fully explorable (it’s massive). Plus in vr  your actually there in your little  blocky piece of long long time ago (Jurassic work pack is also really good) 

Picked up Galaxys edge to.  Definitely more of a game in there than vader immortal and similar in style to saints and sinners with having full body and able to holster your weapons/ store loot.  Only played the opening, but loved every minute of.  Nothing out there can touch the type of immersion these sort of games in VR can do.

On another note, finally got virtual Desktop working really well after getting fed up with the link cable.  Key to virtual desktop is without a doubt run 1GB ethernet cable to the router and run the bitrate round the 90mbps mark with h.264 codec.  Latency is around 27ms-40ms for me and no issues at that.

On another note really enjoying saints and sinners what i picked up of humble store.  Tried in on normal difficulty and got to annoyed with the lack of stamina and feeling rushed all the time.  Restarted on story difficulty and is a dream to play now.  Without the link cable even better :)

I just got mine through from AliExpress (CZ delivery) for about £3 - seems great so far, and available in black, blue and red.

The nose cover doesn't block everything out like I expected, but I think that's partly due to my magnificent cheekbones and generally unusual skull.

1 minute ago, bad_hair_day said:

Hi schmojo, please could you post a link? VRcover are sold out again!

Gotchu. Just make sure you get the shipping from Czechia, since then it'll only take about 5-6 days to arrive.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005001665558276.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.11fc4c4dH4Kk76

(If you've not used AliExpress before, here's my referral code that they claim will give us both free credit but has not actually ever worked to date https://a.aliexpress.com/_mMVx9gt )

People who bought an  Quest 2 before 20th November get Asgard's Wrath (PC VR game) free. At 150gigs installed, it's a monster.

More usefully, they're also doing 30% off your next purchase on the Oculus Store before Dec 1st with code OCULUS30. I think I'll get Dash Dash.

Played Vader immortal part 2 tonight and it really brought home the difference between the original quest OLED panels and the quest 2's LCD, it's super dark and looked really washed out and gray which is a bit disappointing.

Still, HL Alyx in 90Hz and full res link looks amazing! Got Star wars squadrons in the Origin sale so looking forward to trying that. Was all set to get tales from galaxies edge as well but the mixed reviews have put me off a bit.

So I bought Dash Dash World. £13, would've been rude not to.

It absolutely is Mario Kart in VR. I just made the mistake of doing four races in a row and now feel a little woozy. I wonder if modders will be able to get their hands on it, and sub in MK assets? That would be a bit of fun, since the characters in this are fairly generic.

Edit: Dash Dash has an admirable array of motion sickness options, and I was using the easiest settings. But my drift-heavy karting style still left me feeling nauseous for about half an hour after I stopped. Will have to think about whether I refund or not.

Yeah, I didn't have a choice.  I don't use facebook so I had to create an account.  That account is still active though - I just logged in to check it hadn't been banned.

EDIT: Don't think I'm going to get anywhere with Support.  They're asking me to provide a bunch of stuff I can't without access to my account.  They need payment details and a recent purchase, but I've never bought anything and I'm not sure if it will have forced me to put a payment method in.

On 14/11/2020 at 08:00, iwan_canobi said:

You can up the resolution, I tried this last night and it definitely felt like it made a big difference! Started playing through HL Alyx again and it was crystal clear. 

I'm not using Oculus Link right now, I'm using VD for wireless pc play.

Can I improve refresh/frame rate/res on those games with the recent update?

For some reason when accessing the oculus store on a web browser while logged in gave me no link to the black friday deals, as soon as I was signed out I got the list, weird. What's even weirder is that copying the link and trying to go to it while logged in gives you a page doesn't exist error!

Deals aren't too bad, although there aren't many of them. The one that I think everyone should be buying at it's current price of £10.49 is Down the Rabbit Hole which is a simply lovely game (to be fair you should have all been buying it at 15.99).

Apex Construct is also well worth a tenner.

I'm torn with recommending Lies Beneath at 15.99, I bought it full price and really enjoyed it (if enjoyed is the right word for a horrorish game), however it does begin to lose it's way towards the end and there are some issues with picking stuff up at times that can cause problems. However for a Quest game it looks stunning and the art style is fantastic and I didn't regret paying 22.99 for it when it came out. I think the main issue with it is that it's really been ecplised by The Walking Dead (although to be fair that is almost twice the price of this currently).

I'd mention SuperHot but surely everyone has that anyway, because why wouldn't you.