Oculus Quest - (Usernames in first post)

Have you tried Mini Motor Racing X? Don’t get me wrong it’s no Mario Kart but it’s a fun little (actually quite content filled) racer. You can race in first person or in third person as if the cars are little RC cars. Online multiplayer enabled as well.

Sorry I realise that is not really an answer to your question  about Dash Dash World!

12 hours ago, metallicfrodo said:

Have you tried Mini Motor Racing X? Don’t get me wrong it’s no Mario Kart but it’s a fun little (actually quite content filled) racer. You can race in first person or in third person as if the cars are little RC cars. Online multiplayer enabled as well.

Sorry I realise that is not really an answer to your question  about Dash Dash World!

Hadn't checked that out yet. I'm basically using all of the money in the UK on VR games at this point, but I think I'll hold out and see what people think of DDW.

Audica's just started to click with me, and that's pretty great.

1 hour ago, schmojo said:

Hadn't checked that out yet. I'm basically using all of the money in the UK on VR games at this point, but I think I'll hold out and see what people think of DDW.

Audica's just started to click with me, and that's pretty great.

What I will say though is remember that the Oculus store has a really good returns policy, so you can always check out DDW and if you don't like it then you can just refund it as long as you play it for less that 2 hours (which is what I ended up doing with Audica actually!). I'd never heard of DDW until your post and am quite interested in trying it out myself now as the reviews I've seen seem to be quite positive.

2 hours ago, sbrandon111 said:

I'm struggling to get in to Audica, i've been playing on Normal though. 

I've been playing on Standard, but after not even being able to tell which targets were left side and which were right, I've finaly found myself having fun with the songs.

Although my hands moving 500m during a song feels like it'll require a lot of flailing.

Beat Saber is still my no. 1, but VR feels like the future of rhythm action.

18 minutes ago, Simbo said:

I got the new vr cover in the post this morning.  Went for the silicon one.  Easy to put on and feels pretty good.

Will need a full gaming session to test but initial impressions are very good.

Great, I would love to know your opinion.

I have glaucoma so my vision in one eye is pretty much shot and I have to wear specs.

Is it worth getting if your eyesight is that bad? How is the clearance with the glasses spacer as i've heard the lens are prone to being scratched by them 

2 hours ago, partious said:

Do games on the oculus store go on sale often and are the discounts usually good?

There are often deals of the week, and I’d hazard a guess there will be a sale around Christmas (there was last year). They also do Easter sales, summer sales, etc. However the savings tend to be slight, only 10-12%. It is worth remembering however that if you see a bundle of two games and you already have one of them the price show will be for the game you don’t have discounted, which is pretty good (as opposed to forcing a bundle and essentially locking you out).

3 hours ago, partious said:

Do games on the oculus store go on sale often and are the discounts usually good?

Sales on the Oculus store have largely been non existent since Q2 came out. I keep checking and there have only been 3 shitty halloween games on sale since the start of October.

However, I fully expect more games to go on sale as the months roll by. I would think there will be a Black Friday sale so it might be worth waiting for that if you have your eye on something. They tend to only knock 20 percent off (at the most) though.

1 hour ago, dfq23 said:

I have glaucoma so my vision in one eye is pretty much shot and I have to wear specs.

Is it worth getting if your eyesight is that bad? How is the clearance with the glasses spacer as i've heard the lens are prone to being scratched by them 

I wear glasses and there is less space at the sides of the headset for them even with the spacer. So it is a bit irritating when you take the headset off, or adjust it, as the glasses come off with the headset. Having said that I've found the front gap between lenses to be much the same, probably about 4mm.

I've read that people with vision  in one eye can still use VR and it works fine. Might be worth buying from John Lewis or Argos to try as their returns policy is robust.

Has anyone had an Oculus account prior to Facebook?  Did your purchases from your Oculus account carry through to the Facebook one?  I had bought a CV1 Rift near original release in 2016 and had Lucky's tale, Unspoken and VR sports Challenge (admittedly these were free) on my account back then, but there not showing up now.  I had not logged into the Oculus account for a few years until now and I'm guessing the games have been sucked into a void during the transfer to Facebook. 

I've been onto support regarding issues with merging my old Oculus account and Facebook one but they have been quite shady and dismissive regarding responding to my query into my old games.  Anyone had similar issues?  I know there have been stories of Facebook banning accounts and locking out games etc and I've never got a ban.

6 hours ago, partious said:

There's actually been a sale a few weeks ago, but not explicitly on Quest games, which I suspect will be selling like gangbusters.

It was a Rift sale, where some of the games were crossbuys for the Quest too, so keep an eye out for those. There were some 30-40% drops, if I recall.

@Mawdlin Spent a good hour and a half in Big Screen with my new silicon VR cover.  I fully recommend it.  Easy to fit, feels pretty secure sitting on top of the stock facial interface thingy-ma-bob.  The silicon cover is very thin yet feels pretty strong.  Was worried I would reduce my FOV but its that thin it must be almost negligible. 

I like the way they've done the nose bit to block out the extra light.  The material is very comfortable and didn't slip but I was only sitting down chatting.  Would need to give something like Audica, Dance Central or Creed a go to see how it works with lots of movement - gut feel says it will be fine.

Previously I had a material cover for my CV1 which was OK but the bottom kept pinging off the nose piece area.  So far so good with this one but its early days, will need to see if it stays that way.  Does feel fairly secure though.

This last point may seem minor to others but it was always a 1st world problem for me ... small hairs getting trapped in the foam face covering.  Never significant enough to notice until mid-way through a game and you feel a slight tickle or itch around your face somewhere because a hair is lightly brushing against you and once you start to notice it, it doesn't go away until you remove the headset and find and remove the single bloody hair that's slightly annoying.  Silicone cover should help minimise that too as there isn't any foam or material to embed itself into.

I paid about 14 euros plus and another 7 for delivery (shipping from Germany).  It came fairly quick - 3 or 4 working days I reckon.  I would recommend it.

3 hours ago, Simbo said:

@Mawdlin Spent a good hour and a half in Big Screen with my new silicon VR cover.  I fully recommend it.  Easy to fit, feels pretty secure sitting on top of the stock facial interface thingy-ma-bob.  The silicon cover is very thin yet feels pretty strong.  Was worried I would reduce my FOV but its that thin it must be almost negligible. 

I like the way they've done the nose bit to block out the extra light.  The material is very comfortable and didn't slip but I was only sitting down chatting.  Would need to give something like Audica, Dance Central or Creed a go to see how it works with lots of movement - gut feel says it will be fine.

Previously I had a material cover for my CV1 which was OK but the bottom kept pinging off the nose piece area.  So far so good with this one but its early days, will need to see if it stays that way.  Does feel fairly secure though.

This last point may seem minor to others but it was always a 1st world problem for me ... small hairs getting trapped in the foam face covering.  Never significant enough to notice until mid-way through a game and you feel a slight tickle or itch around your face somewhere because a hair is lightly brushing against you and once you start to notice it, it doesn't go away until you remove the headset and find and remove the single bloody hair that's slightly annoying.  Silicone cover should help minimise that too as there isn't any foam or material to embed itself into.

I paid about 14 euros plus and another 7 for delivery (shipping from Germany).  It came fairly quick - 3 or 4 working days I reckon.  I would recommend it.

Great review, thanks. Do you have a link or name of the one you bought?

On 11/11/2020 at 11:18, simms said:

Has anyone had an Oculus account prior to Facebook?  Did your purchases from your Oculus account carry through to the Facebook one?  I had bought a CV1 Rift near original release in 2016 and had Lucky's tale, Unspoken and VR sports Challenge (admittedly these were free) on my account back then, but there not showing up now.  I had not logged into the Oculus account for a few years until now and I'm guessing the games have been sucked into a void during the transfer to Facebook. 

I transferred my original quest Oculus account to my Facebook account via the Oculus app when I got my Quest 2 and it transferred all my old games across 

Well I finally tapped into the Rift/Steam VR side of my quest 2 after the cracking deal on humble store atm. Jury's out whether I will continue down the PC path as it is annoying being tied to a cable and resolution takes a hit. Ran the debug tool and upped bitrate, but you are unable to up resolution atm.

Been playing Saints and sinners and yeah looks nice on PC, but still rather take the hit on visuals and be running the quest 2 version. But with great pricing and exclusives on pc side, it's gonna be hard to take myself away from pc side anytime soon. Wilson's heart, Lone Echo, Edge of nowhere, Half Life Alyx.