Oculus Quest - (Usernames in first post)

3 hours ago, Thor said:

Rez already struggles here and there, some of the enemies are clearly animated at half/lower framerate and/or the Quest 2 is reprojecting. So it'll be interesting to see how the higher res works on Rez. :)

Yeah on Rez you'll ptob want default res. Was choppy at 2560.

Yeah tried Rez at 2560. Looks nice, performs like absolute arse. The cursor gets stuttery as do the enemies. Now, that happens a little at the defualt res anyway, but it's minor. I tried 2048 and it still looked great, but the performance was still not good enough. So the default res is the way to go with Res at least. 

Here's a funny thing, if you select "Default" for the default texture size in Sidequest, it looks appalling - I think it's defaulting to the default Quest 1 resolution, not Quest 2.

I tested Skyrim via the link - serious performance issues, not sure what's going on there because it's flawless on my Rift S. Half-Life Alyx is really good though, rock solid 72fps, more FOV up and down (I can see a lot more of the gas mask when I put it on) and less screen door. Going back to the Rift S ... the supersamples res is better and the headset itself is more comfortable, but I notice that screendoor effect now! Gonna try Assetto Corsa Competizione via the link now...

8 minutes ago, Thor said:

Yeah tried Rez at 2560. Looks nice, performs like absolute arse. The cursor gets stuttery as do the enemies. Now, that happens a little at the defualt res anyway, but it's minor. I tried 2048 and it still looked great, but the performance was still not good enough. So the default res is the way to go with Res at least. 

Here's a funny thing, if you select "Default" for the default texture size in Sidequest, it looks appalling - I think it's defaulting to the default Quest 1 resolution, not Quest 2.

I tested Skyrim via the link - serious performance issues, not sure what's going on there because it's flawless on my Rift S. Half-Life Alyx is really good though, rock solid 72fps, more FOV up and down (I can see a lot more of the gas mask when I put it on) and less screen door. Going back to the Rift S ... the supersamples res is better and the headset itself is more comfortable, but I notice that screendoor effect now! Gonna try Assetto Corsa Competizione via the link now...

All this stuff will be a lot better once Oculus Link comes out of beta and is updated for Quest 2. The current bitrate limit is based on the video decoding strength of the Quest 1 which isn't great. 

On 15/10/2020 at 19:12, simms said:

Where did you get your elite head strap from if you don't mind me asking.  Its in short supply everywhere

On 16/10/2020 at 22:56, simms said:

I can’t find one anywhere :(

I managed to find an Elite head strap today.  I happened to be looking on the Argos app and I’d thought if check stocks in my local, seems there is a tickle of them coming in.  Picked it up a little while ago.  

I’ve still not unboxed my Oculus Quest 2 headset but will probably try this and the Elite headset this weekend.  I’m keen to see how wireless works with the Pc VR titles.

1 hour ago, Uzi said:

All this stuff will be a lot better once Oculus Link comes out of beta and is updated for Quest 2. The current bitrate limit is based on the video decoding strength of the Quest 1 which isn't great. 

Good to know, I really hope the link coming out of beta solves the performance issues. Assetto Corsa was an absolute mess as well. I had Oculus tray tool showing performance - Constantly dropping to 32fps (ASW kicking in) and the performance headroom graphs looked like they were having a fit - completely unplayable. In the Rift S? Almost solid 80fps (the odd dip to 77 here and there) and 40% headroom - WTF? Skyrim is the same, an absolute horror show via the link, perfect on the Rift S.  

It's interesting that Half-Life Alyx is pretty much flawless via the link though, to the point where I may I just use that to play it instead of the Rift S, especially now that...

1 hour ago, simms said:

I managed to find an Elite head strap today.  I happened to be looking on the Argos app and I’d thought if check stocks in my local, seems there is a tickle of them coming in.  Picked it up a little while ago.

THANK YOU! Picking mine up tomorrow. :D

Has anyone's batteries run out on the Q2 controllers yet? They seem to go on forever. Not even lost a pip after about 7 hours play.

Tried Echo VR last night. Amazing sense of presence, floating in space and Iron-Man boosting around the place. Gonna take some time to do everything intuitively though. Can't believe it's free.

18 minutes ago, Mawdlin said:

Has anyone's batteries run out on the Q2 controllers yet? They seem to go on forever. Not even lost a pip after about 7 hours play.

Tried Echo VR last night. Amazing sense of presence, floating in space and Iron-Man boosting around the place. Gonna take some time to do everything intuitively though. Can't believe it's free.

I played some Echo VR last night, having not touched it for months and only briefly playing it before. It's really good, although I was in one game with a few people who were taking it waaaaaay too seriously!

newbie Quest owners should learn about cross-buy with the Oculus Rift. It's a bit more complicated than it should be - some titles are cross-buy (Robo Recall for example) and some are not (e.g. Virtual Desktop, Moss). The reason you need to know this is that the Rift version is often cheaper than the Quest one, so in those cases if it is cross-buy you'd want to buy that one.

So right now there is a not-particularly-exciting sale on Rift, the Gravity Sketch thing looks pretty cool and is a bigger discount than most things on Oculus get: https://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/cross-buy-titles-on-sale-for-the-oculus-quest-via-rift-store-sale-eg-gravity-sketch-for-ps699-instead-of-ps2299-at-oculus-3566528

Quest/virtual desktop supreme low latency guide (low-viewcount video, but very good accurate advice)

Some stuff about enabling 90hz from the lovely Cas and Chary