Oculus Quest - (Usernames in first post)

2 hours ago, Tim said:

Finally and for a few months down the line, is it possible to buy an off the shelf budget gaming rig for £300 - £500 which would allow me to tap into PCVR games adequately?

depends what you want to play, I sort of agree with Thor that you want to be spending a bit more to be getting something decent, but you can get something that meets the minimum specs for half life alyx for around £500, if thats adequate or not is subjective, can probably find some impressions of running stuff at minimum specs on youtube.

After lusting after the original for months, I caved and bought the 256gb Quest 2 yesterday, despite hating Facebook and having my account deactivated for several years, and the fact that my V1 PSVR has mostly been an expensive paperweight since launch.

So far I've re-bought Superhot, which is obviously great untethered, but I still can't throw properly!  Next up I'm going to try Vader Immortal.  I still can't seem to get my wife interested though, the same as with PSVR.

Which is the go-to game / app that you guys use to wow friends and family?  On PSVR my default was always Arkham VR.

Finally, are Rez and Job Simulator worth me rebuying for Quest?

20 minutes ago, Stejay said:Finally, are Rez and Job Simulator worth me rebuying for Quest?

Rez seems to be a brilliant version. It doesn’t feel compromised in terms of particles flying about, compared to Tetris, which definitely does.

Job Simulator is fun what what it is, untethered  makes a big difference.

in terms of what to show people to make em go wow - I tend to use First Steps or Even Ritchies Plank. The extra flying around stuff in that is what seems to make people giggle - a lot :)

In terms of what’s essential, it kinda depends upon your taste. Give stuff a go, read the reviews on the store, and remember, if you buy something you doesn’t like, simply refund it before you’ve played an hour and you’re golden.

Superhot is a great first VR game because the core tenet of the gameplay, that you’re in charge of the motion and speed, dovetails perfectly with trying to avoid sickness and disorientation. I really don’t get why people get stuck in rollercoaster demos or anything with a risk of falling sensation before they’ve got their VR legs. 

12 hours ago, Tim said:

Any reccomendations on "go to" apps or games to get started ? I've bought pistol whip and played the Beat Saber Demo which weve enjoyed this eve. It would be great if anyone could reccomend some essential experiences or games for a newbie? Free ones or demos are particularly of interest, as I can see myself spending alot quite quickly if I'm not careful but happy to pay for the odd game that's deemed essential!

Superhot VR is an absolute must have, arguably the best pure VR experience there is.

1 hour ago, Hardbattle said:

Rez seems to be a brilliant version. It doesn’t feel compromised in terms of particles flying about, compared to Tetris, which definitely does.

Job Simulator is fun what what it is, untethered  makes a big difference.

in terms of what to show people to make em go wow - I tend to use First Steps or Even Ritchies Plank. The extra flying around stuff in that is what seems to make people giggle - a lot :)

In terms of what’s essential, it kinda depends upon your taste. Give stuff a go, read the reviews on the store, and remember, if you buy something you doesn’t like, simply refund it before you’ve played an hour and you’re golden.

I'd second First Steps @Stejay as a great intro to VR. The dancing bit at the end will put a smile on anyones face and make them a VR convert.

I wish Astrobot was on Quest as that would have to be the best intro game for a non-gamer. Given the games available though it has to be Beat Saber at the moment. It is gender neutral and instantly understandable. Also has a free demo.

43 minutes ago, Mawdlin said:

Has anyone here played Onward? I really fancy trying an FPS/Battle Royal and have heard mixed reports. Or I might just wait for Population One.

Pavlov is also very good and officially free via the sideloader app (so is contractors)

population one is a lot of fun - I’ve been in the closed beta for over a year and enjoyed it both on the rift and the quest

2 hours ago, Hardbattle said:

Rez seems to be a brilliant version. It doesn’t feel compromised in terms of particles flying about,

I noticed some slowdown here and there, minimal, but there nonetheless. It's still brilliant on the Quest 2 though.

5 hours ago, Mawdlin said:

I wish Astrobot was on Quest as that would have to be the best intro game for a non-gamer.

I'm such a fool.  I've had Astrobot for 18 months or so and have yet to fire it up....:doh:

8 minutes ago, Dirty Harry Potter said:

That is crazy. It’s flippin’ amazing!

I have a week off coming off, I'll get on it then.  I hope it doesn't look too bad after using the Quest 2.

Have a question how do you get steam chat to work if streaming via virtual desktop. Was trying to play with a mate on phasmaphobia but he was playing normal 2d version on pc - I could hear him in game but he couldn’t hear me.  Tried using steam chat and again could hear him but he couldn’t hear me - anyone came across this? And if so any idea how to fix it 

10 hours ago, papalazarou said:

Have a question how do you get steam chat to work if streaming via virtual desktop. Was trying to play with a mate on phasmaphobia but he was playing normal 2d version on pc - I could hear him in game but he couldn’t hear me.  Tried using steam chat and again could hear him but he couldn’t hear me - anyone came across this? And if so any idea how to fix it 

This is a guess, but in general as it’s Android you need to give the application permissions to access things like the microphone and possibly you didn’t do this for Virtual Desktop. There is somewhere in settings I believe where you can check the permissions.

23 minutes ago, metallicfrodo said:

This is a guess, but in general as it’s Android you need to give the application permissions to access things like the microphone and possibly you didn’t do this for Virtual Desktop. There is somewhere in settings I believe where you can check the permissions.

cheers - yeah there is a mic passthrough option that needs to br ticked

I found the mic a bit iffy on virtual desktop via wireless. I have a mod for Skyrim VR where you speak the lines of dialogue and the game recognises that. It works perfectly in the Rift S, but it barely worked via virtual desktop over a wireless connection for me. 

7 minutes ago, Dark Soldier said:

Yep via sidequest. Once you've activated it you can unplug it.

It resets when you turn it off.

Hang on, I'm a little confused now, what exactly have you done?

6 minutes ago, Thor said:

Hang on, I'm a little confused now, what exactly have you done?

Plug headset into PC, load sidequest, click on developer options and enable 90hz and higher textures. Use the headset wither still connected to the PC, or unplug it. 90hz doesnt work current with Link.

When you turn the headset off and back on it reverts to default Oculus settings so you'll need to do it again each time.

59 minutes ago, Dark Soldier said:

Plug headset into PC, load sidequest, click on developer options and enable 90hz and higher textures. Use the headset wither still connected to the PC, or unplug it. 90hz doesnt work current with Link.

When you turn the headset off and back on it reverts to default Oculus settings so you'll need to do it again each time.

Ooooh, that's interesting. I've got a 3m UCB-C cable coming today, will test and see how that is with PC games on it. :)

1 hour ago, Dark Soldier said:

Thank you gonna look into this - Oculus Link works well but it is a big visual downgrade from the clarity of the Quest 2 standalone due to the shitty bitrate being fed through to the headset over USB

No idea when they will update it natively

https://uploadvr.com/oculus-link-quest-2-improvements/

You can increase res on the link via the developer option on the left controller home button. It makes a difference but not huge. Im running half life alyx at 300%. For the time being res doesnt really seem to affect link much as I read its running at Quest 1 res until its updated.

For native non link games its a fantastic increase. Tetris and Moss look way sharper. However it can come at a cost of performance in some games so its about getting the sweet spot. There are multiple options of res.

2 hours ago, Dark Soldier said:

For native non link games its a fantastic increase. Tetris and Moss look way sharper. However it can come at a cost of performance in some games so its about getting the sweet spot. There are multiple options of res.

Rez already struggles here and there, some of the enemies are clearly animated at half/lower framerate and/or the Quest 2 is reprojecting. So it'll be interesting to see how the higher res works on Rez. :)