Oculus Quest - (Usernames in first post)

16 minutes ago, milko said:

As well as what jonbd said - you don't get any messing around with two icons to worry about or anything like that. It's all pretty straightforward, just be sure to buy VD on the Quest store and not the main Oculus one as it's a different version. 

27 minutes ago, jonbd said:

Thanks for the tip, will give that a go. I was launching them through Revive.

Yeah you need both. The one on sidequest is a plugin that enables the wireless stuff. Well worth doing!

Thanks, i'll give it a go later. Will probably sell my Rift S now if i can get the wireless stuff working :)

Initial thoughts are that the default strap is not.. good, especially if you plan to use it for long periods or with anything involving a lot of movement. But it's workable. I just wouldn't to have it on for more than 20 mins.

The Q2 is a lovely headset with the elite strap. It's really comfy. The weight of the frontpiece means that it's not quite going to live up to a Rift S, but there isn't much in it.

The facebook stuff is extremely jarring. I say that in the context of having gone through that lovely process of unboxing and setting up lots of pieces of gaming tech and hardware over the years, and I don't think I've ever set up something where the process of tying you to an existing account has felt quite so aggressive. There's no 'hey! thanks for splashing out on this new hardware, here's what it can do'. Either you log into FB, or the first thing you do with your new headset is set up a FB account. My first hour with the device was spent reactivating then locking down my old/existing account. Those aren't good day 1 feelings. The only comparable example was when W10 used to attempt you to force you to login via your MS account, thereby tying it to your user profile. And they cut that out pretty sharpish.

Anyway. The fresh start with it today feels better. Sidequest works, Virtual Desktop works (even with my rubbish setup), the 90hz menus feel lovely. Extra weight on the controllers is odd, not awful.

Sorry, we weren't able to link your account. The entity backed by id 773207879 cannot be seen by the viewer with (ViewerID 773207879, AccountID 773207879, AppID 996193447143770): DENY_RULE:EntFacebookPersonPlatformAutoPrivacyPolicy:AlwaysDenyRule:2 (In the absence of other rules, this content is hidden.) (EntID: 773207879)

That's before I've even opened the fucking box. I've just tried to link it on their website to make sure everything was fine before I set up the Quest, now I'm thinking of just taking the sodding thing back...

Opened it anyway, managed to link it fine via the Oculus app on my phone. :)  Initial thoughts are ... disappointment. That strap isn't actually as bad as I'd feared, and the colours havd more brightness/contrast with potentially better blacks - but the resolution isn't as sharp as the Rift S with Supersampling, and screendoor is still there. I can't try any PC games yet as I apparently need to register as a developer to use Side Quest? WTF!

9 minutes ago, Thor said:

Opened it anyway, managed to link it fine via the Oculus app on my phone. :)  Initial thoughts are ... disappointment. That strap isn't actually as bad as I'd feared, and the colours havd more brightness/contrast with potentially better blacks - but the resolution isn't as sharp as the Rift S with Supersampling, and screendoor is still there. I can't try any PC games yet as I apparently need to register as a developer to use Side Quest? WTF!

I've seen a few people saying to try fitting the glasses spacer as a way of reducing SDE! Be  interested to see what you think.

17 minutes ago, jonny_rat said:

I've seen a few people saying to try fitting the glasses spacer as a way of reducing SDE! Be  interested to see what you think.

Ah, it's no worse than the Rift S, if anything it is a little better for SDE.  I played Pistol Whip, and a bit of the first Vader Imortal - considering this is all wireless it's actually pretty damn good. The headset moves about when making quick movements in Pistol Whip. I couldn't try Beat Saber because I bought that on Steam. :facepalm:

I'll still be getting Reverb G2, and I would advise anyone with a Rift S looking for an upgrade/replacement for it to not go for this - the only advantage there is the wireless aspect for me. Might pack this up and put away as a christmas gift for my nephew. 

9 minutes ago, Thor said:

Ah, it's no worse than the Rift S, if anything it is a little better for SDE.  I played Pistol Whip, and a bit of the first Vader Imortal - considering this is all wireless it's actually pretty damn good. The headset moves about when making quick movements in Pistol Whip. I couldn't try Beat Saber because I bought that on Steam. :facepalm:

I'll still be getting Reverb G2, and I would advise anyone with a Rift S looking for an upgrade/replacement for it to not go for this - the only advantage there is the wireless aspect for me. Might pack this up and put away as a christmas gift for my nephew. 

Virtual Desktop can do SteamVR games wirelessly, no? The sideloaded version anyway. Not that I've tried it.

Head movements are much, much reduced with the elite strap. It's one snug MF on my face with that thing. Don't take that as an advert for it from me, as I think it's overpriced for turning it into a properly usable device!

26 minutes ago, Thor said:

Also, I by no means have a small nose, but there's a clear visible gap when I look down. 

Yeah that got me as well, was wondering if I was missing the wee rubber gasket bit or something. Didn't notice in game but there's definitely a large amount of light leak down there. 

45 minutes ago, deerokus said:

I wonder if there will be a way to jailbreak it. The Facebook integration has completely ruled out a purchase for me. 

It needs this. At the moment you're actually pretty free and easy once you're through the initial process: you can sideload anything you like on there. Anything that violates your facebook/oculus terms would certainly then mean being locked out of your oculus purchases on there, but I could live with that.

What's more concerning is that they could brick it in those circumstances. It sounds unlikely but there were worries about this with the Q1, until Sidequest got some tacit approval. Now Oculus and FB are supposedly designing their own sideloading ecosystem, weird as it sounds, and I do worry that this could come with harsher controls on what they'll permit people to install.

Facebook account banned within 10 minutes, reviewed and cannot be reversed.

Off to a great start it seems.

No way I am ever buying a product that forces me to use Facebook, no matter how cheap or how good. Zero trust in that company.

So you force people to use a highly personal social network account, which is connected to possibly 3 other social networks (Instagram, Messenger and WhatsApp), which implies that any complaint against that account/identity will potentially ban your account and take down your entire game library. Could also be a takedown when you post a video with copyrighted music or something along that line. 

49 minutes ago, MNFRMTMRRW said:

No way I am ever buying a product that forces me to use Facebook, no matter how cheap or how good. Zero trust in that company.

So you force people to use a highly personal social network account, which is connected to possibly 3 other social networks (Instagram, Messenger and WhatsApp), which implies that any complaint against that account/identity will potentially ban your account and take down your entire game library. Could also be a takedown when you post a video with copyrighted music or something along that line. 

Lol that's my Reddit post.

Played quite a bit of Half Life Alyx wirelessly through virtual desktop - buggy but actually impressive! The game animation is slower than the sound, conversations start fine, but I'll have heard the end of Russell's sentence before watching him finish it. Odd. Otherwise it plays very well, and looks rather good too thanks to the better contrast and colour - it's just a softer image compared to the Rift S, and I do find that surprising. All in, visually this feels like a better PSVR but without that headset's comfort (and indeed black levels).

I thought I'd give Assetto Corsa Competizione a whirl ... Nope. Without supersampling the game is a blurry mess (the game's fault, not the Quest) and the latency is just a little too much for it to be workable. Don't get me wrong, it's perfectly playable in VR wirelessly on the Quest, but when you're fighting for tenths of seconds that latency has a huge impact. 

Overall, I have to say I'm not convinced. This was a purchase on a whim, and I think I may indeed pack it up and give it to my brother and nephew, perhaps as a surprise Halloween present - my nephew loves Halloween!

And just to re-iterate on my earlier post - for anyone already with a Rift S looking to upgrade, look elsewhere. The fact it's wireless is the only genuine advantage it has, and that only works for certain games and if you have a good 5g router. 

edit: Actually there is one area where I prefer the Quest 2: the controllers. They're slightly bigger, and therefore fit better in my hand, there's also an area on the button panel where you can rest your thumb and not hit any buttons. The controllers are very good. :)

13 hours ago, r1skbreak3r said:

It's cross-buy so as long as you get it from the Oculus store you can play either.

That’s great thanks. I wouldn’t have guessed because the Quest version only says “Quest” against it and vice versa. 

As for the Rift S vs Quest 2 (or Quest 1!) comments, it’s absolutely no competition for me. I owned all three plus the original Rift. The Quest 2 has them beat hands down. Though if you’re seeing lots of latency your access point isn’t up to scratch. It’s virtually indistinguishable for me - I can play beat saber on it and detect a tiny bit of delay, but in games like Alyx it’s imperceptible. 

7 hours ago, MNFRMTMRRW said:

The most similar product I can think of in terms of deep ties to a sinister company's systems are Amazon's Fire tablets. You can totally use them without ever connecting to amazon, you just can't use the amazon apps. Afaik the three main console platforms are the same? You don't need to create an account, just a user profile (and none of those companies are data harvesting to anything like the same extent). 

8 hours ago, Moz said:

That’s great thanks. I wouldn’t have guessed because the Quest version only says “Quest” against it and vice versa. 

As for the Rift S vs Quest 2 (or Quest 1!) comments, it’s absolutely no competition for me. I owned all three plus the original Rift. The Quest 2 has them beat hands down. Though if you’re seeing lots of latency your access point isn’t up to scratch. It’s virtually indistinguishable for me - I can play beat saber on it and detect a tiny bit of delay, but in games like Alyx it’s imperceptible. 

I use mesh WiFi in the house and not sure I'm up for upgrading the whole thing. I have the Q2 next to the same node that the streaming PC is plugged into (max 100mb connection though, ugh) and it's not great. One issue is that it sometimes changes between a 2.4 and 5ghz connection, and there's no way to limit or control it.

I'm thinking about whacking a WiFi 6 access point in the PC and using that exclusively to send to the headset though..

On an ethical level I understand why there's a revulsion about data harvesting but on a practical level does it matter that much if you only have a facebook profile you never post on? To what extent can they harvest data if you only have it to play Oculus games?

Edit: or read any boring shite about people's lives.

1 hour ago, jonny_rat said:

One issue is that it sometimes changes between a 2.4 and 5ghz connection, and there's no way to limit or control it.

Eh? I thought once you were connected to the router on a specific network that was it. 

23 minutes ago, Thor said:

Eh? I thought once you were connected to the router on a specific network that was it. 

The router will sometimes try to switch out to the strongest signal, so occasionally you'll get booted off while it switches you to the stronger one. Presumably that *should* never happen while I'm in the same room as it, but I've had it happen once already.

47 minutes ago, Mawdlin said:

On an ethical level I understand why there's a revulsion about data harvesting but on a practical level does it matter that much if you only have a facebook profile you never post on? To what extent can they harvest data if you only have it to play Oculus games?

Edit: or read any boring shite about people's lives.

I mean, on this very page we're talking about @Weavus' issue where the access to his entire catalogue of purchases has been taken away from him because he linked to a Facebook profile that hasn't seen regular use. That sounds like a fairly practical matter to me.

Just now, jonny_rat said:

The router will sometimes try to switch out to the strongest signal, so occasionally you'll get booted off while it switches you to the stronger one. Presumably that *should* never happen while I'm in the same room as it, but I've had it happen once already.

Oh, that's your router being duff then, I thought you were saying the Quest would automatically switch. 

You need a better router. ;)

I tested something briefly last night - my bedroom is directly above my living room where my router and PC are. So I took the Quest 2 upstairs and tested Skyrim VR via Virtual desktop, while in bed! It worked! Again though, the resolution isn't as good my Rift S with supersampling. But still, I was running around in Skyrim shooting arrows and whatnot - while physically in bed! :lol:

The wireless aspect is genuinely good - however I feel the unit needs more power. To be honest the Quest 2 should be running the likes of Lone Echo, Skyrim VR, and the proper version of Robo Recall without the need for a PC. But it can't. 

Just now, Thor said:

Oh, that's your router being duff then, I thought you were saying the Quest would automatically switch. 

You need a better router. ;)

I tested something briefly last night - my bedroom is directly above my living room where my router and PC are. So I took the Quest 2 upstairs and tested Skyrim VR via Virtual desktop, while in bed! It worked! Again though, the resolution isn't as good my Rift S with supersampling. But still, I was running around in Skyrim shooting arrows and whatnot - while physically in bed! :lol:

The wireless aspect is genuinely good - however I feel the unit needs more power. To be honest the Quest 2 should be running the likes of Lone Echo, Skyrim VR, and the proper version of Robo Recall without the need for a PC. But it can't. 

I realise that, but as I said, upgrading the whole mesh system vs sticking an access point in my PC seems like an easy decision. If it was a case of just upgrading the router itself it'd be simple. With that said, I don't even know how a better mesh system would handle this. Are the more expensive ones smart enough to route your wireless connection directly to a PC wired into it rather than sending back via the home unit? I have no idea, so I'll wait for others to recommend a good system before splashing out on one.

The Q2 probably has enough grunt to run those games you mentioned now (though the continued reluctance to port Skyrim to any mobile platform still makes me think this this is an issue with their engine). But FB still have a policy in place that they won't allow games that run on the Q2 but not the Q1, so we're not going to see stuff like this appear until that's been relaxed,

39 minutes ago, revlob said:

I mean, on this very page we're talking about @Weavus' issue where the access to his entire catalogue of purchases has been taken away from him because he linked to a Facebook profile that hasn't seen regular use. That sounds like a fairly practical matter to me.

Great point but I'm talking more specifically about the harvesting data aspect. I guess facebook can gather data via friends who link to your account. Any idea as to the extent of it?

So I've played Pokerstars VR on the Quest 2, so far the only game I've tried out (I hope to have time to play on the headset properly tonight!). It's a night and day difference from the Quest 1. The much higher resolution really shows up in a game where you're reading text all the time. The performance in general is a lot smoother. The Quest 1 version had very aggressive foveated rendering (when you looked in your peripheral vision at your cards or the bottom of the table, it degenerated into just a few ugly massive pixels), and that's totally gone on Quest 2. I look forward to testing out more titles - I bought The Walking Dead game this morning. The Elite Strap seems good, although I have to say that I'm one of the few who preferred the Quest 2's default strap to the original's and my impression (though I didn't wear it for long) is that I would have been fine with it. I think mileage massively varies on the comfort question, so for new users maybe it's worth trying the default strap first before committing to an alternative. One thing about the Elite Strap that I don't like is how it makes the Quest 2 much 'longer' when you pack the headset away, and I'm not sure I particularly want to turn the dial at the back to the shortest setting every time to minimise that, just in case I end up knackering it!

Btw, it would be cool to organise a poker night with you guys! Pokerstars VR is free, after all!