Oculus Quest - (Usernames in first post)

So as expected a Facebook account is now required for full functionality and some purchases may no longer work...

Ironically I was just about to buy one of these (or at least hold out for the revised model and get my name down on the list) They can go jump now.

Yeah, it's my first and last Oculus Headset. 

It pisses me off anyway because of the comfort of the thing but this is the nail in the coffin. 

Really want to see what Sony have planned for next gen then I can sell the thing. 

I struggle to care about this, tbh. Every one of us on here likely has accounts for multiple services that capture our data in some way (particularly as videogame fans), and it seems impossible to live on Planet Earth and use the internet in 2020 without this happening. No Facebook = no Oculus being where they are now - that much seems obvious. So if I have to link my FB account as a consequence, so be it. While I'd rather this wasn't mandatory because it's annoying other people, I'm not going to personally boycott future products because of it.

9 minutes ago, moosegrinder said:

I'd be surprised if they don't U-turn.

I wouldn't be so sure. You're already limited by what you can do with a plain Oculus account, and I imagine Facebook are keen to get everyone on the same database or whatever.

They've clearly got themselves a real branding problem, and I think they would have been better off ditching any overt Facebook branding like they have with WhatsApp. People seem happy to use that, or indeed an equally Facebooky Oculus account as long as they don't have to see the word "Facebook".

I Dont have a Facebook account so does the "new users" bit mean I'm good to go.

I do have an Oculus one. (in before someone says the obvious)

I won't have one either.  

I think it's currently saying that from October you won't be able to create an Oculus account, but if you have one already then you are good to go. From 1st Jan 2023 however you will have to migrate that account to facebook. It's slightly ambiguous though, as it mentions a new device so it's possible it means that if you try to use a new Oculus device (as opposed to one you are already using) after October that you will have to use an FB account to set it up.

Having said that if you are only using an Oculus account you are going to be locked out of pretty much every single social feature, which has to an extent been the case for a while now.

Perhaps there are alternatives in the pipeline, but this really limits (as in fucks over) the potential for using Oculus VR in learning environments. That includes VR development courses but also potentially any use of Oculus headsets in school or learning settings. Facebook integration is just a flat no policy-wise in a lot of these environments.

It's purposefully exciting a growth market and I find it baffling.

• 3 weeks later...
On 05/09/2020 at 12:19, SteveH said:

Did anyone else get gifted £8 credit today? I'm sure they credited some money a while back didn't they?

I got this about a month ago. I believe it happens if your buying lapses to encourage you back to the store.

Just now, Mawdlin said:

I got this about a month ago. I believe it happens if your buying lapses to encourage you back to the store.

Yeah I got one mid-July as well, which is why I was curious. I have been buying fairly regularly, I just haven't actually been using it.

Facebook have accidentally revealed the Quest 2 ahead of Wednesday's announcement.

The video doesn't cover everything people might want to know, but the main revelation is that it'll use the Snapdragon XR2 chip. That is around twice as powerful as the CPU/GPU in the current Quest and over 10-times better at AI processing; that should improve things like hand-tracking a lot. The display is pushing ~50% more pixels, too.

It looks like a good upgrade but I'm not sure I want to stay in the Oculus ecosystem.

1 hour ago, Ferine said:

Facebook have accidentally revealed the Quest 2 ahead of Wednesday's announcement.

The video doesn't cover everything people might want to know, but the main revelation is that it'll use the Snapdragon XR2 chip. That is around twice as powerful as the CPU/GPU in the current Quest and over 10-times better at AI processing; that should improve things like hand-tracking a lot. The display is pushing ~50% more pixels, too.

It looks like a good upgrade but I'm not sure I want to stay in the Oculus ecosystem.

How good is this likely to be untethered to a PC. Would it be able to play Alyx for example?

1 minute ago, Harsin said:

How good is this likely to be untethered to a PC. Would it be able to play Alyx for example?

The current Quest works perfectly with Alyx over Virtual Desktop, so presumably the Quest 2 can as well. Most of the processing would be handled by your PC either way.

42 minutes ago, Harsin said:

Sorry I meant using the Quest 2 as a completely standalone device.

I'd say it's very unlikely that Valve would port Alyx; current PSVR would probably be less work, and I don't see that happening either. Whilst significantly more powerful than the original, I expect most of Quest 2's horsepower to go into pushing more pixels – probably at a higher refresh rate – rather than drastically upping other aspects of visual quality.

As a wireless PCVR headset it should be pretty great: its chipset can handle video decoding significantly better plus it supports Wi-FI6. I imagine Facebook will release their own Virtual Desktop equivalent.

I don't see myself buying the new quest immediately, if at all - the only things that would make me buy in would be a significantly reduced weight and price, and even then it would be a hard sell compared to the current quest that I have mostly taken 'off the grid' via Virtual Desktop and Sidequest. Even without the upgrades to video decoding and WiFi, I'm getting a fairly steady 20-30ms response time on the jankiest of powerline setups, and games are pretty darn playable.

It's a shame that no other company as nailed down a fully wires-free headset that doesn't cost over a grand like the Vive + Wireless Adapter. It amuses me when someone suggests the Reverb G2 as a viable alternative when it's just as expensive and still needs a cable connection. Wireless VR and being able to move yourself into a roomscale environment instead of actively creating it is just too good of a luxury to let go of now.

If it's £300 then I'm off to CEX with my 128gb headset. 

I have posted it for sale here anyway. Will prob stick it on eBay next week if there are no takers. 

4 hours ago, Siri said:

I don't see myself buying the new quest immediately, if at all - the only things that would make me buy in would be a significantly reduced weight and price, and even then it would be a hard sell compared to the current quest that I have mostly taken 'off the grid' via Virtual Desktop and Sidequest. Even without the upgrades to video decoding and WiFi, I'm getting a fairly steady 20-30ms response time on the jankiest of powerline setups, and games are pretty darn playable.

It's a shame that no other company as nailed down a fully wires-free headset that doesn't cost over a grand like the Vive + Wireless Adapter. It amuses me when someone suggests the Reverb G2 as a viable alternative when it's just as expensive and still needs a cable connection. Wireless VR and being able to move yourself into a roomscale environment instead of actively creating it is just too good of a luxury to let go of now.

Yes this, I'm eagerly awaiting the first company to release a wireless PC headset with good wireless performance.  I've got a Vive + Wireless Adapter setup but I do get pixellation or a grey screen now and again in graphically intensive VR game scenes for games like Alyx and Fallout 4 VR.