Jump to content
rllmuk
Paulando

Oculus Quest - (Usernames in first post)

Recommended Posts

Couple of big releases today for Quest.

 

Down The Rabbit Hole is available for download already (just set it to start on my Quest but won't be able to try it until later).

 

The Room VR is also supposed to be out today but doesn't seem to be on the store yet. I guessing it will be there at about 6pm.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Okay so, I’ve bitten the bullet and ordered a quest which is coming tomorrow. 
 

A few questions for a noob if I may? (I had a PSVR for a few months so have experienced VR a little already)

 

1. Is there anything I can do to keep me busy in advance? Creating an account/profile etc? 
 

2. Essential games? (I’ve skimmed the past few pages so this might not be so important)

 

3. I did experience some motion sickness on FPS titles on PSVR. Are there any advances or settings I should look at in quest to help with this?

 

4. Best carry case?

 

5. Finally, is there a ‘forum standard’ USB cable for connecting up a the PC for Alyx that doesn’t cost the earth? I have a decent PC which will hopefully be fine (1070 i7 32gb). 
 

Thanks quest chaps. X. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1) You can create a profile although to be honest it takes no time at all. Remember though that to use the social features you need to link this to a facebook account. You can also download the Oculus app to your phone as you will need that to set the headset up.

 

2) Depends on what you have on PSVR. The essential apps to my mind are Beat Saber and SuperHot VR. Beyond that I'd highly recommend Shadow Point and Red Matter (both excellent first person adventrure/puzzle games) and Moss (a third person platformer). There are a number of other great games but those are the ones I think are pretty much must haves.

 

3) This will be game by game dependent. Stuff like Moss which is more fixed perspective is not an issue, and in Beat Saber and SuperHot VR you move 1:1 in the world so again should be no problem. Shadow Point and Red Matter both allow for multiple movement options from smooth locomotion and turn to teleport style movement with blinkers.

 

4) I have the official oculus case and think it's great.

 

5) Sorry can't help you here as I haven't got a powerful enough PC to have tried it.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks loads @metallicfrodo

 

One extra on the account. What ‘social features’ does the Facebook login five give you that using a regular email for your account doesn’t and does using Facebook have any draw backs? I wouldn’t normally link to a social account and I don’t use Facebook much but could do if it only provides benefits. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Down The Rabbit Hole is absolutely fantastic, just a great overall package with wonderful music, and it looks oh so lovely. Won't necessarily tax you overly from a puzzle perspective but it's got a wonderful toy box feel (almost like you are in a huge dolls house). It does a lovely thing when the character is involved in a dialoge tree where it suddenly goes first person and you get the view that the player character has and it's just wonderful to look around from that perspective. It's also got a lovely mechanic for moving the world around you where you grab onto vines that are hanging down and physically pull and rotate the world.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Yiggy said:

One extra on the account. What ‘social features’ does the Facebook login five give you that using a regular email for your account doesn’t and does using Facebook have any draw backs? I wouldn’t normally link to a social account and I don’t use Facebook much but could do if it only provides benefits. 

 

I believe pretty much all the social features such as joining parties, voice chat, sending invites etc requires a facebook account. I've had mine linked right from the start so to be honest I don't know 100% what is missing. I believe when you first create an account you can just say login with facebook and it just sets everything up in that you don't really appreciate that you have a separate oculus account. At least that is what I think I did!?!

 

I already have a facebook account and I'd have signed up to oculus (owned by facebook) with the same email account so from my perspective it wasn't like I was giving them any more information.

 

The other thing you get from linking to your facebook account is that you can then pretty much instantly live stream to facebook if you so desire as it's built right into the OS.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Awesome, so there’s nothing sinister like posting shit to your timeline etc. Cool. Might just link to Facebook then. 
 

I forgot the bloody thing was owned by FB to be honest. 
 

Are there ever any sales on the Oculus store?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Occasionally, though deep discounts are few and far between.

 

I didn't buy anything from the store for the first couple of weeks and Facebook ended up sending me £4 of credit to get me off the fence.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not big discounts but they are fairly regular. There have been quite a few this week. Although they tend to discount things in bundles (they are also quite good in that if you already have one of the games in a bundle the bundle is reduced by the cost of that game).

 

They also follow steams lead on returning games. So withIn 7 days or 2 hours of play time you can return for a full no questions asked discount.

 

Just realised in my list of top recommendations I missed mentioning Pistol Whip which is amazing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For the last 3 Beat Saber updates they've outright refused to work. Always pausing the download after 20 or so kb. Getting really annoyed as I quite wanted to play that new pack. In the past I've got round it by uninstalling everything then doing a full reinstall but I lose all my current save data that way. So annoying and the only game it's doing it on.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

See no-one has answered about cables. I use an Amazon Basics 3m USB A to USB C cable, works flawlessly. Cheap too :)

 

i did have a 5m one and got disconnects, but I suspect this is more down to the USB ports on my laptop.

 

I'd try those before coughing for the expensive Oculus cable.

 

Just played through Half Life Alyx with it on Oculus Link worked perfectly.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As recommended on these forums, I got a DeleyCON 5m Extension Cable to add to my 6 foot Anker I'd bought when Link was available. It works wonderfully.  These ones both available on Amazon.

 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/deleyCON-Extension-Repeater-Active-Booster-USB-3-0-Black/dp/B073J92722 

 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Anker-PowerLine-Pull-up-Resistor-Including/dp/B01E9W8KYC

 

1 hour ago, Lorfarius said:

For the last 3 Beat Saber updates they've outright refused to work. Always pausing the download after 20 or so kb. Getting really annoyed as I quite wanted to play that new pack. In the past I've got round it by uninstalling everything then doing a full reinstall but I lose all my current save data that way. So annoying and the only game it's doing it on.

 

Yeah, I had to do the same thing once as the game simply refused to update.

At least the single player high scores are all uploaded online so you don't lose those.

 

My love for Audica has grown in recent weeks. Been choosing to play that more than Beat Saber recently. Takes its time to get you, but it's a fantastically slick finely tuned rhythm game. with some really ace songs with ace shoot at and move to placement. I Feel Love, Gold Dust, Perfect, Titanium all fantastic. There's about 10 I've narrowed down and do over and over. Bought a couple of the DLC tracks too. The Duo Lipa one is great. One of my favourite VR games now on this and PSVR.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Lorfarius said:

For the last 3 Beat Saber updates they've outright refused to work. Always pausing the download after 20 or so kb. Getting really annoyed as I quite wanted to play that new pack. In the past I've got round it by uninstalling everything then doing a full reinstall but I lose all my current save data that way. So annoying and the only game it's doing it on.


Do you have it modded for adding custom songs because it won’t update if you do?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, metallicfrodo said:


Do you have it modded for adding custom songs because it won’t update if you do?

 

No, its all clean and worked 3 updates ago without re-installs and haven't done anything to it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just gave up and had to do a reinstall. Very annoying because it forces you to go to every music pack and download individual tracks. Quite why they don't let you download each pack in one fell swoop is beyond me.  All working now though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If anyone has trieds passthrough and sees it isn't working, Oculus have said it will once update 15 is out everywhere. They found an issue yesterday and scrabbling to fix it. Wish I'd known sooner as I've slapping the side of my headset like a loon all day!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It’s here and I still can’t decide whether to use my Facebook login for my oculus account. I’m an mad conspiracy driven idiot. :(

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Had a few hours on it tonight and it was a positive experience. Used a PSVR before and the more room scale wireless element to it is a huge improvement and the guardian ease of use is brill. 
 

Is there a way, when in a game that you can press a button and instantly overlay the guardian or the video image of your space so you can see where you are? 
 

I mainly played The Room VR and it was great. If you like puzzle boxes and spooky Victorian settings then it’s a banger. Very similar in style to Batman on PSVR but more puzzlly. 
 

I don’t mind admitting that I sampled VR porn for the first time as well. Which was certainly eye popping. It will never catch on! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Yiggy said:

 

Is there a way, when in a game that you can press a button and instantly overlay the guardian or the video image of your space so you can see where you are? 

 

Update 15 is currently rolling out to headsets at the moment which adds this functionality (instant access to the passthrough video feed), I believe you have to tap the side of the headset twice.  As Lofarius mentions above there seems to have been a bug and a hotfix is being rolled in or something. It's a rolling update so you will just get it when you get it, I haven't had it yet.

 

You can 'try' and force the update by going into settings and sometimes you will see a button that says update now next to where it tells you what OS version you are on. However the best way to get the update is just to leave it on and charging when you are not using it.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Enjoying The Room at the moment. Very interesting puzzle game with some excellent graphics and a creepy atmosphere. I can imagine some people might not like the fixed position warping to points in the room, but I think it works well in context. I’ve done the first couple of sections and have been stuck a couple of times (once because I didn’t realise that I could pick something up) but it’s been pleasantly taxing so far. Third section seems to be ramping up the complexity.

 

Lies Beneath release today for £22.99 with positive reviews suggesting a 6 to 8 hour play time. I noticed @boybrown was playing it earlier, so the question I have is how scary is it?

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's quite scary. the sound design is great and adds to the creepy atmosphere. So far its not jump scare after jump scare. its more combat focussed which is handled very well. 

i'm only at chapter 5 but personally i think this will be my number one game on the Quest. Well worth the asking price.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Assuming I've still got some kind of realistic economic future at the end of April I'm leaning towards getting a Quest. Can I ask, is the Link a pretty robust general thing for all 'regular' VR games now? I'm thinking about things like Tetris Effect, IL-2 and probably some driving games. Is it sensitive to things like lag for games that rely on accurate timing?

Most of my play would have to be seated if wired but if the wireless thing is working well enough it does open the possibility of me playing in the living room and having a little space to move about after all.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Finally got the update to v15 of the OS on my Quest yesterday, and I have to say that I've very impressed. I like the new dashboard, and on demand passthrough is fantastic. 

 

Remember though you have to activate all the new features as they are still technically experimental, so you might not actually notice that you have v15 unless you go and check. You can do this by going to settings and then about. In there you will be able to see what version you are running. Assuming it is 15 you can then go into experimental and select to use the new dash. This will force a restart. Once it has restarted you get a quick tour of the new frontend. At this point you can go back into settings>experimental and enable tap passthrough and multi windows on the browser. Once that is done, simply tapping the side of the headset twice (doesn't need to be on a button, just tap it (I assume the accelerometers are measuring the slight movement)) will instantly show you the passthrough, tapping twice again will take you back into VR. Very neat.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 31/03/2020 at 19:27, metallicfrodo said:

Enjoying The Room at the moment. Very interesting puzzle game with some excellent graphics and a creepy atmosphere. I can imagine some people might not like the fixed position warping to points in the room, but I think it works well in context. I’ve done the first couple of sections and have been stuck a couple of times (once because I didn’t realise that I could pick something up) but it’s been pleasantly taxing so far. Third section seems to be ramping up the complexity.

 

Lies Beneath release today for £22.99 with positive reviews suggesting a 6 to 8 hour play time. I noticed @boybrown was playing it earlier, so the question I have is how scary is it?


I’ve just finished the 3rd area on The Room and I’m loving it. It’s very immersive and atmospheric and what’s great is that the areas are all very different. Having just entered the 4th area it’s surprised me again and I can’t wait to try and finish it off over the weekend. Well worth £20 so far. 
 

Puzzle games are weird in VR because it always seems more frustrating when you get stuck as you just have to stand there looking like a lemon and talking to yourself. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just completed The Room and I really enjoyed it and it was certainly worth the money. Overall it's a great package which looks graphically very impressive on the Quest, and the ingenuity of some of the puzzles is excellent. As mentioned by @Yiggy the environments are really well thought out and nicely differ from each area, the final area while short being another fantastic departure from what has come before. The only negatives I would have about it are there are a few occasions when it's not obvious that you can interact with things. I ended up having to use the hint system 3 times as I was completely at a loss as to what to do, and in each of those instances it was because I hadn't realised that there was something I could interact with. I'd say the first time I was just being stupid, and the third time I maybe just wasn't paying proper attention, but the second one I don't think I would have ever considered that I could interact with the thing I was supposed to. Also there were a few puzzles which I managed to brute force solve. Not really a huge negative but I think it would have been nice to have some more background music in the game, but I can imagine that wouldn't be to everyone's taste.

 

As I have said before I can see the movement being a bit divisive in that there are only a set number of points in an area that you can warp to, but I think that at leasts focuses you on the task (and probably allows them to make it look as good as it does). It's also in those moments when you warp to another area that I really appreciate playing untethered on the Quest as I really like to actually turn round in my own physical space rather than having to using the stick to swing the view.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, metallicfrodo said:

Just completed The Room and I really enjoyed it and it was certainly worth the money. Overall it's a great package which looks graphically very impressive on the Quest, and the ingenuity of some of the puzzles is excellent. As mentioned by @Yiggy the environments are really well thought out and nicely differ from each area, the final area while short being another fantastic departure from what has come before. The only negatives I would have about it are there are a few occasions when it's not obvious that you can interact with things. I ended up having to use the hint system 3 times as I was completely at a loss as to what to do, and in each of those instances it was because I hadn't realised that there was something I could interact with. I'd say the first time I was just being stupid, and the third time I maybe just wasn't paying proper attention, but the second one I don't think I would have ever considered that I could interact with the thing I was supposed to. Also there were a few puzzles which I managed to brute force solve. Not really a huge negative but I think it would have been nice to have some more background music in the game, but I can imagine that wouldn't be to everyone's taste.

 

As I have said before I can see the movement being a bit divisive in that there are only a set number of points in an area that you can warp to, but I think that at leasts focuses you on the task (and probably allows them to make it look as good as it does). It's also in those moments when you warp to another area that I really appreciate playing untethered on the Quest as I really like to actually turn round in my own physical space rather than having to using the stick to swing the view.

 

Yeah, there are a few occasions where it's either unclear that you can interact with a specific object, or you think you should be able to interact with something but can't (occasionally because you need to do something else first). At least the hints prevent you from being stuck for too long, and I think it gains a lot from being in VR. I hope it does well enough that they consider making another one. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bit of sidetrack Anyone know a good VR laptop to use with this so i can play new half life and some of other Rift games looking at spending around £800 - £1000.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Really cant work out the double clicking the side button to get pass through turning on or off - working. Seems really buggy for me... anyone else having issues?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Use of this website is subject to our Privacy Policy, Terms of Use, and Guidelines.