rllmuk
Paulando

Oculus Quest - (Usernames in first post)

Cross post from the Oculus Thread ... for some reason Moss is free in the Oculus Store.

Just managed to buy and install (I've a pc / rift setup ... don't have a quest) ... not sure if its cross-buy or not ... but wanted to mention, just in case it was cross-buy.

I wish there was more music and concerts on this. The TV and Melody apps are all a bit crap but the best I've seen was U2's Song for Someone. Ended up keeping that as it's an awesome experience and I wish they'd do some more.

Picked up Gageteer the other day which is quite nice, still techincally in early access (so I have no idea how it's allowed on the store considering the other things they have rejected). Very relaxing, to the point where I started standing up but then ended up basically sat on the floor to get down to the level of one of the things I was building.

I also just bought Audica. It's a strange one to be sure, I really can't decide what I think of it (to the point that I'm considering refunding it). It just seems so lacking (not helped by the fact that the first arena design is really really lackluster). It's pretty boring on easy, so I tried some songs on medium (or normal whatever it's called) and they were a little more involved, then thought I'd have a go at Advanced and that is really really hard. What it has going for it is a pretty big tracklist, however the game itself just doesn't seem that much fun, it lacks the physicality of Beat Saber, and the danger of Pistol Whip, and the act of pulling the trigger in time to the music just isn't very exciting. I think I played through 10 tracks and nothing really got me moving in the way that Beat Saber has me boogying along, or Pistol Whip has me bobbing and weaving. As a kind of test case I played the track Pop Stars which is also on Beat Saber and one that I absolutely love playing, and I just felt nothing for the interaction on either easy or medium, and hard was just too hard. It just all seems a bit clinical. Looking at the leaderboards I see that @spatular and @sbrandon111 have it. What are your feelings, is it worth persevering with or should I refund it now if I feel this way about it?

^ i think it's more complicated and harder to get into than beat saber and pistol whip (and probably not as good either), and like most rhythm games it gets better the harder the difficulty level. i'd agree the first two difficulty levels are a bit boring but then there's a bit of a step up to the next one, i've not played it that much but just about enough to play on the 3rd difficulty level which is much better and quite fun. so yeah i haven't played it enough to make a proper judgment, would say it's not as good as beat saber (but then what is?), but if you're prepared to put some time into it there is some fun to be had.

Yeah I agree with spatular. I've been working my way through it, it takes a bit more learning of the mechanics and flow than beat sabre or Pistol Whip does. I'm hoping it will click once I comfortably get to medium / hard.

Not as good as Pistol Whip though.

So after a few weeks with no new game releases for the Quest there are at least two great looking games coming on Thursday. OhShape which has been out on PC VR for a few months now and is currently sat on 9/10 on Steam reviews, and Ghost Giant which was previously a PSVR exclusive. Personally I loved Ghost Giant and will definitely be double dipping.

Here's the thread with my thoughts on Ghost Giant

In further game news, although it's still a month away, Down the Rabbit Hole is now available for pre-order with a release date of 23rd of March. Seems like a third person platformer with puzzle elements set in the Alice in Wonderland universe. I'm a complete sucker for anything Alice related so are really interested in this.

• Upvote 1

I got to talk to Ralph Macchio in Altspace on Saturday night. (Was a celebrity Q and A panel thing.

Really nice fella. 

Heads up that there is currently a Duo Package sale on, Shadow Point + Time Stall is currently selling for £9.00. Shadow Point is one of the standout games on the Quest and is well worth the 9 pounds on its own, so with Time Stall thrown in (which I haven't played but seems to have reviewed well) this seems like an excellent deal.

For those who have been holding off buying Doctor Who: Edge of Time because of all the reported bugs the developers released a patch yesterday that reportedly seems to have fixed a lot of the bugs. 

Two new releases as well this week on tuesday was Free Diver: Triton Down

And today was Eleven Table Tennis VR

• Upvote 1

On 10/12/2019 at 19:43, Speech said:

Grabbed Beat Saber and played that for a couple of hours this afternoon.  Was great fun, but am knackered now! Will be sending friend requests out from the google doc so I have some scores to aim for on the leaderboards, although I don't expect I will be able to put up much of a challenge

Yeah, not much of a challenge at all :lol: 

Have you turned on ghost notes for any of those high scores, or are your best using fast disappearing ones? I thought I'd give them a proper go and did my first hard fast perfect run with ghost notes today on $100. Almost cracked the top 100 :) 

13 hours ago, metallicfrodo said:

Heads up that there is currently a Duo Package sale on, Shadow Point + Time Stall is currently selling for £9.00. Shadow Point is one of the standout games on the Quest and is well worth the 9 pounds on its own, so with Time Stall thrown in (which I haven't played but seems to have reviewed well) this seems like an excellent deal.

Do you have a link - I can onyl see them for £20 in a duo package - also how do you even search for them instore I had to google search to get to the £20 package

29 minutes ago, Clipper said:

Do you have a link - I can onyl see them for £20 in a duo package - also how do you even search for them instore I had to google search to get to the £20 package

Must have been mispriced yesterday (I’m guessing they priced it at the cost of one game discounted)! Did think it was ridiculously cheap. As you say it’s now 20.99. Not so relevant but I saw it on the little carousel of games at the top of the store on the website, I don’t know how you easily find any of the combo packs.

• Upvote 1

ahhhh thankyou the carousel. The lack of sales on Quest is a bit disappointing , i have some ill gotten paypal to squander and it's always tricky to find new gems and when its all full price it makes it even harder.

They did some decent sales around Christmas time and they do some interesting discounts here and there but they are very easy to miss if you aren't checking the store every day.

@ClipperIf you like your Rythmn Action games then you could always give Sythnriders a go, that is also currently on sale (20% off at £11.99). I haven't personally played it so can't vouch for it but it seems to have reviewed quite well, just been a bit overshadowed by the Beat Saber juggernaut. Alternatively I've been really enjoying OhShape which is obviously full price having come out a week ago but it's great fun and a real workout! You do need a lot of space to play it though (don't whatever you do play it under a hanging light fitting!!!)

Interesting to hear you are liking OhShape.

I asked for a refund for it last weekend after a bit of a go. It felt a bit like a minigame in a fitness package to me, rather than the ace physical rhythm action game I wanted.  The actions lacked a satisfying connection with the music. 

Maybe I should have given it more time though.

I thought that at first, certainly on the easy tracks, but as you progress to the medium tracks I found it got a lot better, and it felt more like dancing. It's also challenges your coordination a lot more which I quite like, although at times my eyes, brain and body feel like they are completely separate! It does feel more fitness focused than something like Beat Saber although a lot of that has to do with the fact you are moving your body a lot more.

I can totally understand people not getting on with it though, but then that is the beauty of the returns policy allowing you to give it a go.

20 hours ago, Fatsam said:

Yeah, not much of a challenge at all :lol: 

Have you turned on ghost notes for any of those high scores, or are your best using fast disappearing ones? I thought I'd give them a proper go and did my first hard fast perfect run with ghost notes today on $100. Almost cracked the top 100 :) 

Most of my best scores have been either faster song or faster song with disappearing arrows, tried ghost notes and faster song a few times without much such success.  Maybe I will give it a go at normal speed.

1 hour ago, Speech said:

Most of my best scores have been either faster song or faster song with disappearing arrows, tried ghost notes and faster song a few times without much such success.  Maybe I will give it a go at normal speed.

Normal speed won't be worth it for the score multiplier. You're better off on fast plus disappearing arrows. I found I was missing the ghost notes more frequently at the start of the song, but my timing improved once in the zone a bit more after the first section.  I've got improved scores on a couple more of those first lot of original soundtrack ones with ghost notes now. Those are the easiest in the game though.

I also bought myself Eleven Table Tennis today and I'm well impressed.  It's exactly like real table tennis. Really solid feeling and the physics are excellent. It's just bare bones challenge AI to  a game or play online, but that's fine. I'm a little confused how online exactly works, with notifications telling me I've had requests for games by people, but then I couldn't find any way of accepting them. I did manage to challenge some bloke from the UK and he accepted for a couple though with no noticeable lag which was encouraging. Beat him too, although I think that was more due to him actually trying to put spin on the ball and stuff while I concentrated on simply getting the ball back over the net to the other side. 

On 28/02/2020 at 09:32, metallicfrodo said:

Must have been mispriced yesterday (I’m guessing they priced it at the cost of one game discounted)! Did think it was ridiculously cheap. As you say it’s now 20.99. Not so relevant but I saw it on the little carousel of games at the top of the store on the website, I don’t know how you easily find any of the combo packs.

Did you already own one of them? The bundle price reduces if you do.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, r1skbreak3r said:

Did you already own one of them? The bundle price reduces if you do.

Ah yes I do (Shadow Point). That's actually pretty good that they do that. The second time I looked in reply to Clipper I did it on a machine I wasn't logged into the Oculus store which would explain why I saw the higher price then.

Its out for delivery :omg: if i could only pick up one of Pistol Whip and Beat Sabre, which one should i go for?

2 hours ago, Herbalizer said:

Its out for delivery :omg: if i could only pick up one of Pistol Whip and Beat Sabre, which one should i go for?

If you're anything like me, you'll set out to be disciplined and only buy one or two games, but very quickly go all-in. 

Beat Sabre is fantastic - particularly if you mod it. 

Pistol Whip is a lot of fun. 

Super Hot is extraordinary - easily the most engrossed I've been in VR, though you need 2m x 2m floor space minimum (I've played it in a smaller space but have been lucky not to smash a controller against the wall. 

Moss is unbelievably cute

Vader Immortal is generally okay, but with a couple of brilliant moments. 

If you have a gaming PC and want to link the Quest to play Steam VR/Rift games, this USB cable is an ugly colour, but it is in stock and works: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07D7NTNDK/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1. Alternatively, Virtual Desktop generally works as well as people claim. 

You're in for a fantastic time - enjoy!

Yeah for sure, Beat is the best game going and will last you for months. Pistol Whip is fun in short bursts but there's not enough songs to play through and updates are slow but as said its still worth picking up later.