rllmuk
Paulando

Oculus Quest - (Usernames in first post)

Good lord. I tried Oculus Link today and it was just perfect. I spent three hours mucking about in Minecraft, No Man's Sky and Skyrim, before flying over London (in human scale) in Google Earth VR. By the time I took the headset off it was dark outside and I'd forgotten any discomfort the headset had caused. My only prior VR experience is PSVR so you might be able to take what I say with a pinch of salt, but Link was easily better than that and a godsend for someone with a higher IPD. My 3m AmazonBasics USB-C cable worked a treat, too!

• Upvote 2

I quite like the idea of Quest. Is it a significant improvement visually over psvr and do i need a super powerful pc to link it to?

1 hour ago, strider said:

I quite like the idea of Quest. Is it a significant improvement visually over psvr and do i need a super powerful pc to link it to?

It's a standalone headset, i.e. it runs off a mobile processor!  Visually I'd say a little sharper then PSVR but brightness/colours better on PSVR. 

But no wires, man. NONE. 

Just grabbed Pistol Whip after the Edge review. And grabbed that boxing game in the sale. Can't get enough of VR at the moment. Though Quest really needs a game like Astro Bot

3 hours ago, strider said:

I find it an improvement but that's largely down to it properly accommodating my IPD with the mechanical slider. With PSVR I always felt like one eye was teetering on the edge of the sweet spot, although I really enjoyed the experience nonetheless.

If you're considering Oculus Link, I can report no problems with it so far. My PC is beefy by last year's standards (i7 8700k, 16GB RAM and 11GB 1080Ti) so I might not be the best judge of how well it scales!

HOOOOOOOLY SHIT!!!!!!!

I've just tried 360 Beat Saber an hour after drinking some shroom tea with friends. This is such a brilliant evolution of an already perfect use of VR. Best update ever. 

• Upvote 2

On 26/12/2019 at 22:58, r1skbreak3r said:

Gun Club is good, more of a sim than than game, as it’s just a series of ranges. There are different modes and a wide range of guns, including rifles.

Hotdogs, horseshoes & Hand grenades is a brilliant gun sim on Steam but may not be available on the quest standalone.  You may need a link cable. 

4 minutes ago, denisb said:

Anyone got a link to a compatible oculus link cable 

I've been using this one. The longer version is out of stock in that colour but you'll be fine if you don't mind light grey, red, etc.

21 minutes ago, DeciderVT said:

I've been using this one. The longer version is out of stock in that colour but you'll be fine if you don't mind light grey, red, etc.

That's ok for pc link ? I thought they were stupid dear ?

5 minutes ago, denisb said:

That's ok for pc link ? I thought they were stupid dear ?

Only if you want the official Oculus one. I've been using this one with Link with no problems- a lot of the recent Amazon reviews confirm this too.

• Upvote 1

21 hours ago, denisb said:

Anyone got a link to a compatible oculus link cable 

I have a spare one of the Amazon basics one if you want it. 

• Upvote 1

i think I have said this before but as people are looking for cables etc - make sure you plug it into a USB 3 port that is directly connected to your mobo or internal card (probably the ones on the back of the pc). The ones on the front are dependent on the internal cabling from mobo to usb socket and on my case they aren't performant enough for proper USB 3 despite their claims and they even have throughput good enough for external HD etc.

34 minutes ago, sbrandon111 said:

I have a spare one of the Amazon basics one if you want it. 

Cheers I've ordered one now thanks though 

I've been playing Pavlov via Oculus Link on Steam, it's amazing. I hope it comes to the quest, not sure how they will handle the mods and custom content though. 

I haven't done the sideload thing yet. Is there any danger of bricking the thing or getting banned by doing it?

You can’t brick it as you aren’t actually updating the Quest firmware (just enabling developer mode which gives you access to the internal storage).

There is a warning about installing unauthorised software but I don’t believe it is currently in Oculus’s best interests to ban it.

They'd be banning thousands of users if they enforced it. The worst they'd probably do would be to deactivate inert developer accounts, requiring you to re-enable the developer features again. I've been playing Quake via SideQuest and it was worth setting up. The original is dripping with atmosphere in VR and I haven't even installed the high resolution texture packs yet.

On a related note, Oculus gave me £4 of store credit last night so I bought Dreadhalls after the recommendations here. Going to try it out later today, after introducing my wife to the Quest (via some less scary demos!) this afternoon.

Half Life is also excellent in VR (via LambdaVR) and obviously if you are enjoying Quake it’s worth picking up the Quake 2 port.

My wife just had her first Quest experience. She was impressed- she was a bit cautious at first as she got to grips with it but after a while I shooed the cats out of the room and learnt to duck when she started swinging a bit wildly! Possibly the best bit was her being surprised by the giant kitten photo in the Tripp demo. She's gone from being reluctantly coerced into trying it to picking out what she wants to try tomorrow.

12 hours ago, metallicfrodo said:

Half Life is also excellent in VR (via LambdaVR) and obviously if you are enjoying Quake it’s worth picking up the Quake 2 port.

I have both but I think I need to set LambdaVR up a bit before I can start screwing up Earth from Black Mesa.

Just set up my oculus link all good and painless had a play on google earth .

is the quest basically a rift in link mode ?

• Upvote 1

Have had so much trouble trying to capture video from the quest.

I've tried the wireless solutions - it's ok, no sound though although you can pass through the 3.5mm. It's not ideal though.

I bought a clone chromecast, I couldn't even get the quest to recognise it.

I then tonight bought a official chromecast but then find out I cant capture it due to hdcp.

I then read some hdmi splitters remove the hdcp and hunted down the one I own.

Alas  , it doesnt strip it.

So I'll have to buy a splitter that will do the job. Hope this info helps anyone else who wanted to try the same.

I bought The Climb on Christmas morning to show off to my sporty sister when I visited family for the day. She spent over an hour fucking about in the Quest's setup shooting shit and dancing with that little egg-man. Then it was time to eat. Later that evening a friend came to mine and bounced around the living room playing the Beat Saber demo. Both were completely blown away but neither tried The Climb.

I've been a little busy lately with other nonsense but I'm going to spend the next few days exclusively with the Quest in both standalone and Link mode. Can't wait to finally try The Climb.

It's such an incredible piece of kit.

1 hour ago, denisb said:

pretty much although a lower screen Hz.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, denisb said:

Yep, and detected as such apparently.

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, Darhkwing said:

Have had so much trouble trying to capture video from the quest.

I've tried the wireless solutions - it's ok, no sound though although you can pass through the 3.5mm. It's not ideal though.

I bought a clone chromecast, I couldn't even get the quest to recognise it.

I then tonight bought a official chromecast but then find out I cant capture it due to hdcp.

I then read some hdmi splitters remove the hdcp and hunted down the one I own.

Alas  , it doesnt strip it.

So I'll have to buy a splitter that will do the job. Hope this info helps anyone else who wanted to try the same.

It's easy to do on the headset. If you want to go for a bigger/better picture than what the Record video button does just do this: