rllmuk
Paulando

Oculus Quest - (Usernames in first post)

I have star trek bridge crew and the next generation "bundle" - I assume that means I can get it on Quest?

15 minutes ago, Clipper said:

I have star trek bridge crew and the next generation "bundle" - I assume that means I can get it on Quest?

Should do. If you look on the store it should just say free. That is what mine said.

Having said that it's an absolute ball ache to get into the game because you have to link your oculus account to your ubisoft account. This has just taken me about 40 mins to achieve so I thought I'd lay out the steps I had to go through to help others. If you follow these it should take about 3 mins.

I have the scenario where my oculus account is linked to my Facebook account (so I don't actually know the password to my oculus account as it were). Additionally my ubisoft account is linked to my xboxlive account and I always use that to log into it, so again I don't know what my password is for that.

If you have a similar situation then you will need to do something along the following lines.

1) Log on to your ubisoft account outside of the headset via your linked account (xboxlive, psn etc..). Then click into your account details and reset the password so that you know it (it will send you an email yada yada yada).

2) In the headset open up the inbuilt browser and go to oculus.com, select to log in and select to login via facebook.

3) (This set might not be necessary but I tried it this way before doing what I'm now saying is step 1). In the headset via the inbuild browser go to ubisoft.com and login via you linked account (xbl, psn etc..)

4) Finally open the game! You will be told you need to link accounts. Follow the process, you should see that it already knows you are logged into your oculus account, so select that. On the next screen (if you did three above) you will see your ubisoft account already selected and you just need to enter the password you reset at step 1.

5) Most likely the browser will just show you a pulsing ubisoft logo for ever. Go back to your ubisoft account on an external device and check in your account details if it now shows you that your oculus account is linked. If it does restart your headset (a full restart, not just putting it to sleep). Finally once it's restarted open up the game and you should be able to get into it!!

I've not had a chance to actually play any of it yet, but it's pretty fucking cool flying around the enterprise in the 'main menu'!

• Upvote 3

thanks for that it was indeed free. Isnt clear whether it includes Nextgen or if that dlc is to follow

as for the Uplay link thing - I just checked my Uplay account and for something I barely use it has links to Steam, PSN, MS AND Oculus!

insidious little piece of rubbish isnt it!

3 minutes ago, Clipper said:

thanks for that it was indeed free. Isnt clear whether it includes Nextgen or if that dlc is to follow

All the reports seem to suggest it's included now.

Just did the introductory training and played the first single player mission of Star Trek Bridge Crew. It's really really good! Would love to get 4 of us together to play as a team, there's a lot to learn but it's really really well done. Most impressed by it.

• Upvote 1

It looks complex and like a steep learning curve but it isn't that bad to be honest.

The singleplayer is pretty tricky to get into because you are captain and have to know roughly how all the stations work.

Playing online you just need to man one station. I learnt basics of each station and did SP and it was tough. I then hopped online and chose a simple station like tactical or engineering and it was fine.

When I played on original release on Oculus the randoms were fine to play with and there was even RP captain gave orders and people at stations said "aye sir" etc ... was pretty fun and I never got any duff teams.

But obviously new version who knows what happens - I believe it is crossplay (or was from rift to psvr) so you got different combos and again I would hope that is the case again

When it goes well its a great game, slight sometimes but great fun.

• Upvote 1

My understanding is that it's cross play on Quest as well.

I'm going to be on this evening as my wife is out at her work's christmas do. Anyone fancy joing me?

Oculus seem to running Daily Christmas deals at the moment. Todays is End Space for £7.99 (27% off)

https://www.oculus.com/experiences/quest/2434361173248640

Had a go last night at some multiplayer on Star Trek: Bridge Crew. It didn't seem to be very well populated which is a shame. Got into an initial game with two others (kids) and then the host lost connection about 2 mins in. Was dumped back to the lobby with the other guy, who then decided to start a game on the Original Enterprise, which he had no idea how to use as each ship is different (which is very cool), so I bailed. Ended up in another game with just one guy (again sounded like a kid). We did a mission in the TNG Enterprise and then he let me be Captain and we did a mission in the Aegis (second one of the campaign). Both those games were actually really good fun and it was fun working together. It just made me wish I could have got in a game with 3 other people, as I can just imagine that being brilliant.

• Upvote 1

Bit the bullet and bought a quest. My mindset was that if I didn't like it as much as my psvr, I could easily sell it on for a small loss. I needn't have worried, it's amazing.

The screens are so much clearer than the psvr.

My username is sbrandon111, feel free to add me 

• Upvote 3

8 hours ago, sbrandon111 said:

Bit the bullet and bought a quest. My mindset was that if I didn't like it as much as my psvr, I could easily sell it on for a small loss. I needn't have worried, it's amazing.

The screens are so much clearer than the psvr.

My username is sbrandon111, feel free to add me 

Hello mate, I would happily accept your friend request except I can’t. 

Why?

Because (unannounced as far as I can tell) in the last few days Oculus has started forcing you to be logged into Facebook to add new friends or send requests or access any social features. Just discovered this. They are fucking cunts if there’s no way round this.

I don’t and never will have an FB account, so that’s that. No more Quest friends for me.

I imagine this shit will start creeping into other parts of this service, and my Quest will swiftly end up in Trading if it does.

Fuck Zuckerberg and fuck Oculus. :angry:

• Upvote 2

The facebook integration for social stuff had been mooted for a while, although I think it was rather stealthly added as a requirement when they added chat etc as functionality to the social features. I must admit I didn't notice anything as from the start I just used my facebook account because I couldn't be bothered to set up yet another account to remember.

In other news

Sairento VR: Untethered is the Deal of the Day currently £10.49 (30% off). I've heard good things from people in this very thread about it, so quite tempted to pick it up.

https://www.oculus.com/experiences/quest/2299215130112875

Also Oculus have launced their official link cable in the US for $79, doesn't appear to be available in the UK yet.

I got that space shooter that was on sale yesterday, it's really good. More arcadey than space sim but more fun for it. I'll probably get Sairento today if my bank card stops screaming at me.

I was just about to buy one of these but the Facebook requirement is a flat out no for me. 

So its currently for chat and friends? Is it feasible they could expand this to purchasing too? I cant think of any other account use they could hang this on. 

I wonder what the legal view would be if they forced a FB account fir any and all use, in the future.

I can’t see there being a legal view on it. It’s their platform, they aren’t a monopoly.

Although thinking about it, I suppose if you couldn’t use it at all without an FB account that is a different matter. Have they fundamentally restricted you using a product you paid for by changing the T&Cs.

Appreciate it isn't a monopoly. I meant more from the stance of buying a device that mandated at a later date the need to have a social media account for it to work at all.

I guess I'm answering my own question as there's little you could do other than sell it. As FB have proven time and time again, they'll do whatever the fuck they like.

Obviously changing functionality later on based on account type is bad.

Genuine question, but if you don’t already have an Oculus account what is the difference to setting one of those up as opposed to a Facebook account?

Maybe I'm confused, but I thought it was now a requirement to have a FB account in addition to the Oculus account? (if you want friends and sharing etc)

No issue with an Oculus account but don't want a FB account.

I suppose you could set up a fb account solely to use with the Oculus. I just chose to use my fb account to create the Oculus account because I couldn't be bothered to put all my details in again, I didn't think it was mandatory. My Oculus friend list is separate from my fb friend list.

When I set mine up I just used my FB account. That creates an oculus account but I’m not really aware of the details beyond it being something it did for me (as far as I can remember), I’d have been happy just using my FB details with the option to have a gamertag in the same way I use my MS details for all their products.

I suppose my point is in the long run you are giving your details to facebook anyway so from an account perspective I’m not sure I see the difference. But maybe I am missing info you have to give for FB that you don’t have to give for Oculus accounts.

1 hour ago, BubbleFish said:

Maybe I'm confused, but I thought it was now a requirement to have a FB account in addition to the Oculus account? (if you want friends and sharing etc)

No issue with an Oculus account but don't want a FB account.

It's not a requirement, I certainly had the option to create an Oculus account from scratch, I just chose to link my fb account instead.

It is now a requirement for the social features.

You can do everything else, so single player games and any third party friends lists like the uplay one in Star Trek Bridge Crew.

Just set up a fake FB account. Link it to a free email address then just don't use it if you are that worried. Don't even have to use your own name.

31 minutes ago, Lorfarius said:

Just set up a fake FB account. Link it to a free email address then just don't use it if you are that worried. Don't even have to use your own name.

While I'm aware that Oculus is now a Facebook product, people shouldn't be locked out of existing functionality and forced into engaging with their platform when it's not necessary. I feel a bit sorry for any Facebook-adverse people who have supported Oculus since the early days.

2 hours ago, DeciderVT said:

While I'm aware that Oculus is now a Facebook product, people shouldn't be locked out of existing functionality and forced into engaging with their platform when it's not necessary. I feel a bit sorry for any Facebook-adverse people who have supported Oculus since the early days.

Why? The CV1 went for years with loads of support without FB getting involved on the platform. Was going to happen eventually and seeing as FB and VR has a lot of social elements it only makes sense.

FB have the cash reserves and interest to do very good things. They've just announced they are working on AR glasses so the future is quite bright for the tech.

Nothing is forcing you to use the FB platform beyond having an account. If you don't put private data on there they won't have it. 

Had some heartwarming chuckles earlier showing the mrs' folks VR for the first time, love that magical moment where people are like "this is amazing!" 

Still annoyed that casting is garbage and unreliable though :angry:

Moss is todays deal of the day, 14.99 (usually 22.99). This really is a standout title. Also being a seated experience it is also a great game to play while charging you Quest, so that’s a bonus.

• Upvote 4