rllmuk
Paulando

Oculus Quest - (Usernames in first post)

I'm also finding out PC VR is the wild west after picking a Quest on Friday. I got Steam stuff to work by first setting the Oculus app to allow Unknown Sources in the Settings\General menu.

Then installing SteamVR in Steam and running that. You can then run Steam apps from there and in theory it then adds them to the Oculus PC app from then on.

I think. Worked for me.

Had some fun as I'm using my Laptop and I had to disable the Intel GPU as that caused all sorts of nasty perf issues. Link is still in Beta, but surprised how well it works. It's a tad CPU hungry though! Hopefully optimisations in the pipeline.

Native Quest stuff is lovely though, nice and easy to use. Resisting the urge to buy more games...

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Hardbattle said:

So that’s a Windows app/program I just install? Or is it something I need to install via sidequest?

Have you tried this on the steam bit?

https://www.vrdesktop.net/

Just start your games as you normally would and they should appear in Virtual Desktop. Make sure to disable Desktop Game Theater mode by going in Steam to Settings, In-game and uncheck the "Use Desktop Game theater..." option.

Right, got it working: The Steam VR download seemed to do the trick. The Forest loaded up in VR anyway. Can anyone recommend a VR shooter?  Not so much first person, more R-Typeish?

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, metallicfrodo said:

Surely you don't need to be using Virtual Desktop? Isn't that the whole point.

Quest isn't compatible with Steam out of the box. You need something in place to run it and Oculus made VD remove support for streaming Steam months ago (but there's a workaround).

1 hour ago, Lorfarius said:

Quest isn't compatible with Steam out of the box. You need something in place to run it and Oculus made VD remove support for streaming Steam months ago (but there's a workaround).

https://venturebeat.com/2019/09/29/facebook-oculus-link-will-work-with-steamvr-games-too/

Also just above you S0L has said he has got it working with Quest, as you would with a Rift S.

I mean maybe I've very confused but I though that the VD workaround was in place before the whole link annoucement and it's a bit of a cludge which is now not needed with Oculus Link.

Yeah, I don't even know what Virtual Desktop is, but the method I described worked for me. The tricky bit was knowing to enable Unknown Sources in the Oculus App and download SteamVR in Steam. After that I got most things running. 

Confirmed working with...

Skyrim VR (Steam) - Need to go back to this as the perf was horrible but it was before I realised it was running on the Intel GPU vs the Nvidia one in my laptop...

Alien Isolation (Steam) - Google the Mother VR patch for this, once you copy a single DLL into the Alien Isolation installation it works with both the headset and the controllers!

American Truck Simulator (Steam) - Which being honest, is why I bought the Quest so I could play this in VR...  :P

...but as I say, it feels a bit Wild West/hacky right now. You definitely need to have the Oculus app running at all times for the Link to work. 

17 hours ago, S0L said:

I'm also finding out PC VR is the wild west after picking a Quest on Friday. I got Steam stuff to work by first setting the Oculus app to allow Unknown Sources in the Settings\General menu.

Then installing SteamVR in Steam and running that. You can then run Steam apps from there and in theory it then adds them to the Oculus PC app from then on.

I think. Worked for me.

Had some fun as I'm using my Laptop and I had to disable the Intel GPU as that caused all sorts of nasty perf issues. Link is still in Beta, but surprised how well it works. It's a tad CPU hungry though! Hopefully optimisations in the pipeline.

Native Quest stuff is lovely though, nice and easy to use. Resisting the urge to buy more games...

Yeah you don't need virtual desktop or revive with the link cable, just install steam vr and you should be able to launch it from oculus pc home as an app, then it loads up steam vr home.

Definitely agree it all feels a bit janky just now. My audio keeps switching back to the laptop and the only way I can get it back is uninstalling the Nvidia audio drivers and rebooting.

Interesting about the GPU, I'm also running on a laptop and felt that no man's sky looked a bit pants, wonder if it's trying to use the Intel GPU as well? 

On the audio, when the Quest is connected there is an option under Devices in the Oculus app to default the audio out of the Quest or the laptop. That seemed to do the trick for me. 

GPU wise, by default mine was operating in a hybrid mode but it was specific to the brand (it's a Medion Erazer, though it's actually a Clevo base). Part of the inbuilt software gives an option to switch to Discrete only which did a reboot and completely disabled the Intel GPU. It's the first time I've seen that, normally you can specify which one you prefer but can't wholly disable the other. Doing so frees up some RAM too as it's no longer needed by the Intel GPU. It even helped other games (like Elite Dangerous) where you can specify the GPU as it no longer rendered for the Quest on the Nvidia one and the Laptop screen on the Intel one...

As it's so CPU bound, it's well worth fetching up Task Manager (Ctrl+Shift+Esc) telling it to show more details and seeing if there is anything in Startup you don't need. Every little helps. 

Or buy a faster laptop I guess! Mine is a i5 6300HQ with a 6GB 1060GTX to give you an idea. It managed Alien and ATS without too much stress, ditto Elite Dangerous seems fine with VR high settings. Asgard's Wrath feels like it's pushing it a fair bit though, might be on the verge of being just that bit too slow for that. I'm hoping as they move Link out of Beta it'll get optimised so it'll help.

But even at early days, the fact it works so well within the Oculus software is to be applauded. I've seen far, far worse Beta software.

If people are using Nvidia laptop cards certain problems could be something to do with Nvidia Optimus. I've read something about this software a while back as I thought it may have been relevant to my laptop, luckily it wasn't but it's ringing a bell in here. Will try and find what it is that I was reading about. It's something to do with how Nvidia switches between the dedicated GPU and Intel's on-board graphics based on load or perceived lack there of, but it can be overzealous in how it does it. Maybe streaming can effect the algorithm.

Just because I’m consider getting a VR ready PC for Oculus Link, what spec machines are people using on here and what did they cost?

Also I need to stop checking my Quest every 10 mins to see if v12 has been rolled out to me. I’m just really keen to try hand tracking.

I'm on an i7 with 32gb ram and a 6gb 1060.... although I might get a 1070 8gb as they are going for just over £100 on ebay and my son could do with my gfx card... everything seems to run fine for me...although I've only really had a quick blast on Elite and DCS world.

Oh dear. I9 9900K, 32GB 3200 Ram, RTX 2080TI and several different types of Hdd, 500GB Nvme ssd for boot and to which I've downloaded Asgard's Wrath and Robo Recall, another none Nvme 500GB M.2 ssd and a massive mechanical drive for my library of other games. Quest runs brilliantly.

It wasn't cheap but I saved a bit and had some fun by building it myself.

My laptop has an I5 and a 1060 6GB but I still haven't tried my Quest out with that, yet.

mines a 1070 with i7-7700k (not overclocked) 16gig ram with a 10ft amazon basics cable

I get smooth performance once it settles down (it always jitters for a couple of minutes when I first connect which is annoying)

The machine itself cost me 1400 two years ago no idea what it would cost now as it is quite old (altho at time pretty high spec and cpu is still pretty good one I believe)

17 hours ago, S0L said:

On the audio, when the Quest is connected there is an option under Devices in the Oculus app to default the audio out of the Quest or the laptop. That seemed to do the trick for me. 

GPU wise, by default mine was operating in a hybrid mode but it was specific to the brand (it's a Medion Erazer, though it's actually a Clevo base). Part of the inbuilt software gives an option to switch to Discrete only which did a reboot and completely disabled the Intel GPU. It's the first time I've seen that, normally you can specify which one you prefer but can't wholly disable the other. Doing so frees up some RAM too as it's no longer needed by the Intel GPU. It even helped other games (like Elite Dangerous) where you can specify the GPU as it no longer rendered for the Quest on the Nvidia one and the Laptop screen on the Intel one...

As it's so CPU bound, it's well worth fetching up Task Manager (Ctrl+Shift+Esc) telling it to show more details and seeing if there is anything in Startup you don't need. Every little helps. 

Or buy a faster laptop I guess! Mine is a i5 6300HQ with a 6GB 1060GTX to give you an idea. It managed Alien and ATS without too much stress, ditto Elite Dangerous seems fine with VR high settings. Asgard's Wrath feels like it's pushing it a fair bit though, might be on the verge of being just that bit too slow for that. I'm hoping as they move Link out of Beta it'll get optimised so it'll help.

But even at early days, the fact it works so well within the Oculus software is to be applauded. I've seen far, far worse Beta software.

Yeah, it shows as the Quest selected as the audio source but it still just comes out of the laptop speakers. It's annoying as the Nvidia audio driver seems to re-install itself after every reboot so I need to uninstall it each time which is a pain! 

I checked out my settings but I'm on a Dell G7 and it appears it is switching correctly, it's brand new with an i7 9750 and a GTX2070 MQ so I had hoped it would cope fine. It does really, I think I maybe just expected too much with No mans sky. I guess being in VR makes you notice when the textures are a bit flat looking! I need to try Asgards wrath or a similar 'designed for VR' game I think to appreciate it. I played John Wick last night for a bit, it was good fun but I felt the tracking wasn't quite right for the controls which made aiming almost impossible, and throwing grenades just ended up with it limply falling at your feet and killing you....which was fun.

Absolutely though, it's great functionality for a beta, but there are a few areas to clear up. I bought this laptop as soon as the HL Alyx announcement was made, but I can see myself ending up with a dedicated PC headset by the time it actually comes out! Link is great but I can't help but feel it's not quite 100% of the experience it could be.

• Upvote 1

I think anything including and above a desktop 1060 6GB (have people been successful with AMD on Quest?, if so then the base would be an RX580 for them) and a quad core CPU from the last 3-4 years and you will be golden for Quest. I have read that Asgard's Wrath is a ball-ache on a mechanical drive, with regards to slow loading, perhaps due to streaming so I think some type of ssd drive for Quest Link game installation might be a wise choice.

14 hours ago, metallicfrodo said:

So hand tracking is included in the v12 update which is just rolling out. There will be no games available for it yet but it'll be there to control the dash, browser and TV.

https://www.oculus.com/blog/thumbs-up-hand-tracking-now-available-on-oculus-quest/

Setting aside all the fascinating Oculus Link tech talk, this is genuinely exciting news, and the gateway to next gen VR control. Wasn’t due until next year, but here in some form this week! Can’t wait to try it, even if only in interfaces for now. Imagine if they get it working in First Steps etc...

25 minutes ago, amc said:

I think anything including and above a desktop 1060 6GB (have people been successful with AMD on Quest?, if so then the base would be an RX580 for them) and a quad core CPU from the last 3-4 years and you will be golden for Quest. I have read that Asgard's Wrath is a ball-ache on a mechanical drive, with regards to slow loading, perhaps due to streaming so I think some type of ssd drive for Quest Link game installation might be a wise choice.

That's pretty much my spec. The annoying thing is the Asgard is super smooth on the Laptop monitor, it's just stuttering in the headset. CPU is maxed so I assume it's just CPU bound for the streaming. Doesn't matter what options I pick in the Asgard options, be it Ultra or low, the headset speed is the same. Since I don't want to buy a new Laptop it's gonna be overclocking time or hoping for some Link optimisations. 

It was Half Life that finally pushed me over the edge to purchase the Quest due to Link happening.

I'll be seeing if that hand tracking is live tonight though, the Quest is proper future tech though. The guardian implementation is mind blowing, so if the hand tracking is anything like as good it'll be like seeing a glimpse of the future today!

I'm very interested in trying the handtracking stuff. I think it'll work well in some situations but I think it's ultimately going to be lacking when compared to having a controller in hand.

For general browsing and media viewing I think it'll be great, but for anything bar spell casting type games I do wonder if it will just feel a bit lacking. The advantage with a controller is obviously not only that you have the buttons and the control stick (my goodness I find it difficult now to go back to PSVR and Moves) but that you get that haptic feedback, and also the sense when you pick something up that you have something in your hand.

Still hopefully by this evening I'll have the opportunity to get first hand (!) experience with it.

• Upvote 1

I don't want to bang on about Link because there is an awesome update for Quest this evening but I think there is more to the chain than just the cpu and gfx card involved. It's needing to stream a rather large amount of data and pretty bloody quickly so although a usb port can lay claim to being usb 3 and obviously will be in spec to meet that standard, I'd say not all controllers or ports are created equal. I have several ports to chose from on my mobo and have definitely seen the best results from the red port labelled usb 3.1. that's vs others labelled 3.0. This is a direct port, it doesn't go to any header.

So even using the same controller the different ports have variables. It's working awesome for a lot of people, with some laying claim there is no perceivable lag difference between Quest and Rift S and only a slight downgrade in resolution being the only difference. As @iwan_canobi says if you want the best most surefire Oculus PC experience then Rift S is still king. But Link is still in Beta and we have the fibre optic cable to come, this may negate any deficiencies in some usb ports, who knows, but when the stars fully align (and in most cases even if they don't) you can get a near flawless experience. But there's deffo more to that than just meeting power specs.

1 hour ago, metallicfrodo said:

I'm very interested in trying the handtracking stuff. I think it'll work well in some situations but I think it's ultimately going to be lacking when compared to having a controller in hand.

For general browsing and media viewing I think it'll be great, but for anything bar spell casting type games I do wonder if it will just feel a bit lacking. The advantage with a controller is obviously not only that you have the buttons and the control stick (my goodness I find it difficult now to go back to PSVR and Moves) but that you get that haptic feedback, and also the sense when you pick something up that you have something in your hand.

Still hopefully by this evening I'll have the opportunity to get first hand (!) experience with it.

It could be amazing for flight sims where you have a fixed real world HOTAS, as then you can have a pretty seamless experience as you can just reach out to hit switches and stuff and not worry about having to pick up another controller to get your 'hand' back.

• Upvote 1

Kinect perfectly illustrated the value of actually having controllers in your hand with buttons and sticks and something solid to hold and feel for waggle gaming. This will still be true for the majority of the types of  games in VR,  although there is certainly more potential for using handtracking in VR.  There's also the option of having a controller in one hand and the other free. It's pretty easy to imagine how that could be ace.

2 hours ago, iwan_canobi said:

It could be amazing for flight sims where you have a fixed real world HOTAS, as then you can have a pretty seamless experience as you can just reach out to hit switches and stuff and not worry about having to pick up another controller to get your 'hand' back.

As long as someone releases some haptic gloves it'll be amazing. Having no feedback will be weird.

That's fair :)

To balance all the PC talk, stand-alone the Quest is really something special. Post pub last night I bought Beat Saber and was happily slicing blocks like a madman. It's so well sorted and works out of the box. Was proper grinning ear to ear. I know a few people in the office are considering picking one up after me raving about it at length!

• Upvote 2