rllmuk
Paulando

Oculus Quest - (Usernames in first post)

58 minutes ago, kerraig UK said:

The Imagine Dragons pack is excellent. I'd never heard of em before but I love every song and the patterns are really satisfying. 

It's Time is amazing on Beat Saber. :wub:

• Upvote 1

As much as I fucking hate Marc Almond, there's no arguing that Tainted Love would be pretty fucking spectacular if done right in Beat Saber. 

• Upvote 3

The Climb was finally released on Tuesday (£22.99), looks very very impressive visually from the videos I've seen. Also if you've already got it on Rift you will be glad to know that it's cross buy. Or for those of you that are all linked up you can be happy that a purchase will allow you to also see how it differs graphically compared to the PC powered version.

It's certainly interesting but I don't think it works that well just changing the music. I think the way the levels are built is far more akin to a Beat Saber mapping than people realise. You wouldn't play a beat saber map to a completely different song. The tempo of the music might line up but you lose the accents and flow of specific sections of the tune. I think that's the same here, enemies are specifically timed to enter at certain points in the song and when you shoot also accents the music. That video just looks like someone playing an on rails shooter that they have decided to play to music (okay that's a bit harsh, but I don't think it has anywhere near the same impact as watching the levels played to the correct tunes).

Until the community can get their hands on the tools the developers used to build the levels I'm not sure we'll see anything particularly worthwhile.

For reference this post links to a video where they talk about how they build the levels

Also, can you dual wield in pistol whip? I haven’t played it much but there’s a suitcase of guns that I don’t seem to be able to do much with.

30 minutes ago, Boozy The Clown said:

You could go with the original version.

Oh wow, I had no idea that was a cover. Live and learn. 

5 hours ago, metallicfrodo said:

The Climb was finally released on Tuesday (£22.99), looks very very impressive visually from the videos I've seen. Also if you've already got it on Rift you will be glad to know that it's cross buy. Or for those of you that are all linked up you can be happy that a purchase will allow you to also see how it differs graphically compared to the PC powered version.

does crossbuy work boths ways - if I buy on quest can I play on PC etc... as I have a link cable.

1 hour ago, Clipper said:

does crossbuy work boths ways - if I buy on quest can I play on PC etc... as I have a link cable.

Yup but buy on PC Oculus just to be safe. You need to install that app anyway to run the games on PC.

Just tried Death Lap and sadly it knocked me sick to my stomach! Even tried turning it down to the comfortable level and easing my way in but no joy. Seemed quite good from the couple of laps I managed but the placement of the seat and vehicle (I think) made me ill. 

On 05/12/2019 at 17:32, Clipper said:

Yes it definitely does. I've bought a few Quest games that show up as free on my PC later.

The Climb looks really good, as long as you don't look too closely at the peripheral image quality. I found it really noticeable when moving my head looking round at the far off scenery, but it's fine during the actual climbing part.

I was speaking to a mate about the main things I struggled with when using the PSVR headset - the bulkiness of it (like wearing a diving helmet) and the porthole effect (feels like looking through binoculars or the window on a ship, you don't get a full range of vision) - and he reckons his Oculus Quest has solved both of those problems. Is this true? I kind of don't believe him. The porthole thing in particular I thought was still an issue with all VR headsets.

Yeah, I wouldn’t say this is massively different to PSVR in those regards.I mean it’s less bulky all round as it’s not got the halo, but it’s much heavier at the front and not as comfortable.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, metallicfrodo said:

Yeah, I wouldn’t say this is massively different to PSVR in those regards.I mean it’s less bulky all round as it’s not got the halo, but it’s much heavier at the front and not as comfortable.

What about the porthole effect? Is there still a circular field of view whose physical edges you can make out distinctly? He's insisting there's not but either he's being precious about his purchase or genuinely isn't aware of it. Or he might be right and there's no porthole after all.

I think this is where the Rift S is better than the Quest. It has a similar 'halo' design to the PS4 headset, so it doesn't feel too weighted to the front of your head, but doesn't have any of the setup faff of PSVR (having to line up to an external camera is a massive ball-ache and the reason I feel external sensors/cameras are a poor solution). I say think because, in all fairness, I've never tried the quest; but it's pretty clear the weight is all at the front.

43 minutes ago, ann coulter said:

What about the porthole effect? Is there still a circular field of view whose physical edges you can make out distinctly? He's insisting there's not but either he's being precious about his purchase or genuinely isn't aware of it. Or he might be right and there's no porthole after all.

That's still there on the Rift S, I can't speak for the Quest. I think we're a "generation" of VR headsets away (perhaps two) from getting rid of that completely. The Pimax headsets on PC are supposedly amazing for FOV, but wide only, if you look up/down, you'll see black.

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, ann coulter said:

The porthole is definitely there on the Quest. If it bothered you on PSVR it will bother you on Quest.

• Upvote 2

The porthole effect is an odd one. I never noticed it at all until ann coulter pointed it out. I wonder if it's a bit like a magic eye picture where some people see it straight away and are very conscious of it. Thankfully, on both PSVR and Quest, I'm so immersed in the game it is never an issue. I have to actively think about it to notice it.

1 minute ago, Mawdlin said:

The porthole effect is an odd one. I never noticed it at all until ann coulter pointed it out. I wonder if it's a bit like a magic eye picture where some people see it straight away and are very conscious of it. Thankfully, on both PSVR and Quest, I'm so immersed in the game it is never an issue. I have to actively think about it to notice it.

Snap. It's there if you're looking for it. Of course, in a decade's time we'll all look back and laugh at how we put up with it at all. :)

• Upvote 1

On another note, has anyone tried Arizona Sunshine yet? I'm very tempted but want it to be as good as the original. I understand they've built it from the ground up.

Help - I’m clearly doing something wrong

Hope somebody here can help. I’m new to this PC VR world, having only recently joined via my Quest and Link cable. I’m having no issues with the pc oculus store, but the Steam store is causing all sorts of problems - probably because I’m doing something wrong. 

Today I purchased The Forest. It says it’s Rift compatible. I download it and ran it from the virtual desktop via my quest. I select start in VR mode, but the game just launches in a windowed version on the desktop. I had the same issue with Dirt 2.0. 

Any ideas?

34 minutes ago, Hardbattle said:

Help - I’m clearly doing something wrong

Hope somebody here can help. I’m new to this PC VR world, having only recently joined via my Quest and Link cable. I’m having no issues with the pc oculus store, but the Steam store is causing all sorts of problems - probably because I’m doing something wrong. 

Today I purchased The Forest. It says it’s Rift compatible. I download it and ran it from the virtual desktop via my quest. I select start in VR mode, but the game just launches in a windowed version on the desktop. I had the same issue with Dirt 2.0. 

Any ideas?

Try running Revive. Also I think you need to run SideQuest to link Virtual Desktop to the Quest properly:

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1401048874

Yep, I’ve run sidequest and got virtual desktop working. Never heard of revive - I’ll look into that. I wasn’t sure if there was a specific VR version of Steam I wasn’t using...

36 minutes ago, Hardbattle said:

Yep, I’ve run sidequest and got virtual desktop working. Never heard of revive - I’ll look into that. I wasn’t sure if there was a specific VR version of Steam I wasn’t using...

For me Revive just worked, not sure why but it gives you a menu with all the games on. Click an icon and it pops up on the Quest.