rllmuk
Paulando

Oculus Quest - (Usernames in first post)

1 hour ago, PopeSmokesDope said:

wowsers! it turned up today and ive already managed to punch my desk 6 times!

So much better than the Occulus dev kit 1!

Just need to find a cable for link now, the one I bought doesn seem to work...

This works for me. Also try updating all of your drivers before buying another lead:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B017COHTJ6/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

1 hour ago, PopeSmokesDope said:

Ta... had already bought 2 other types but going for this just in case....

Def works, spent ages on mine this week :D

In other news.. has anyone picked up A Fisherman's Tale yet?  If you do first tip for a good experience is to make sure you turn the hints off in the options. It's not a very long game (about an hour) and you will just steamroll your way through with those on.  Might be short but not too bad for the price of £10.99, real mind bending stuff using world within world puzzles and I felt like I was in an episode of the Twilight Zone :lol: but very good VR experience.

I played it on PSVR and really liked it. It was only let down by the fact that the moves aren’t great and restricted the movement options. I’d imagine it would be really enchanted playing it on Quest with decent controllers and tether free.

14 hours ago, MattyP said:

Great question! I was thinking the same thing myself a while back.... My final year project at Uni all those years ago (97!!!) was to make an interactive 3D model of our computer and maths building. All I had back then was VRML to do it in.... Remember walking about taking photos for the texture maps etc. Couldn't get the interactive bits working properly though. Looking back it was a fun project even if I didn't get a amazing grade for it..... Love to revisit something like that now with the tech we have now!

Doesn't Unity have some tools out there? Just had a quick Google yep... Seems to be lots of info out there...

Might be buying a Occulus Quest sooner than I think! :)

I'm currently working on a VR game design document. Its why I bought the Quest. I'd love to hear other peoples ideas. I have a pretty unique and original offering I think. Its not making super ground breaking use of VR, but it is doing something that hasn't been done yet. 

Happy to share ideas.

• Upvote 1

51 minutes ago, Hardbattle said:

Wey-hay. Link is working, mind is blown. Is there a list of the best games for the rift? 

Lone Echo

Robo Recall (though I'm yet to play it)

Skyrim

Elite Dangerous

No Man's Sky

Superhot

Dirt Rally 1 & 2 (but you'll need a wheel)

Project Cars 1 & 2 (as above)

There are probably others I have missed. Apparently there's a lorry/truck simulator that's supposed to be amazing, but ... why? ;)

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Thor said:

That'll be one I've missed. Is it actually good? 

I’ve not played it but everything I read/seen about it says it’s pretty special. It’s what prior to seeing HL: Alyx was tempting me to get a VR capable PC.

10 hours ago, kerraig UK said:

I bought the Imagine Dragons pack for Beat Saber and its only downloaded 2 songs. The rest are stuck on 'Waiting to Download'. Any tips?

Have you tried restarting the Quest then redownloading them?

2 hours ago, Lorfarius said:

Have you tried restarting the Quest then redownloading them?

Can't find a redownload button anywhere...!

I'm gonna have to get Pistol Whip innit

Got Oculus Link set up and I must say I’m thoroughly impressed. Downloaded Asgard’s Wrath and it plays like a dream, no issues at all. I’m sure the picture quality is better on the Rift S but I guess what I can’t see won’t hurt me.

Also after seeing a bunch of YouTube vids on the ‘Frankenquest’ I managed to get hold of a Vive Deluxe audio strap, so it looks like I’ll be making some mods soon!

Looking at using one of these to tinker with on the for developing some ideas.

Is this a good option? Or would an older one be more cost effective and give similar results. Do like the idea of also playing on VR not having it tethered to the PC too.... Hmmmmm

On 01/12/2019 at 02:32, kerraig UK said:

I'm currently working on a VR game design document. Its why I bought the Quest. I'd love to hear other peoples ideas. I have a pretty unique and original offering I think. Its not making super ground breaking use of VR, but it is doing something that hasn't been done yet. 

Happy to share ideas.

Great be good to share experiences. Not got any further than thinking at the moment though. Just need to get a basic initial dev environment set up and experiment. Initially just want to create a space and add some things to interact with into it. Thinking of using the Unity framework to start with.

Then onto developing some thoughts on a project!

Have some downtime as I'm between jobs at the moment so need something a bit different and more creative to get my teeth into.... I spent the last 10years developing finance stuff for the Web, Mindnumbing.... 

3 minutes ago, MattyP said:

Great be good to share experiences. Not got any further than thinking at the moment though. Just need to get a basic initial dev environment set up and experiment. Initially just want to create a space and add some things to interact with into it. Thinking of using the Unity framework to start with.

Then onto developing some thoughts on a project!

Have some downtime as I'm between jobs at the moment so need something a bit different and more creative to get my teeth into.... I spent the last 10years developing finance stuff for the Web, Mindnumbing.... 

Want to get on the phone asap in case theres some crossover? Happy to sign an NDA?

3 minutes ago, kerraig UK said:

Want to get on the phone asap in case theres some crossover? Happy to sign an NDA?

Happy to have a chat.... Although not got any ideas at the moment! Maybe we could initially start a thread up somewhere here for VR development then go from there? :)

https://medium.com/@sofaracing/how-to-develop-for-oculus-quest-on-macos-with-unity-5aa487b80d13

Nice little guide a mate of mine wrote to hook up a quest to Unity! It is for the Mac but the principles should be the same for the PC.

Don;t yet have an Oculus so if anyone with a PC tries this and it works let me know! (or any quirks you found to getting it running on the PC).

Hope this is of use!

• Upvote 1

On 27/11/2019 at 13:16, r1skbreak3r said:

Which cable are you using? I agree there are a lot of variables. FWIW my PC is an i7 6700K/16GB/GTX 1080Ti. I forgot to mention I was using an extension cable as well - might try it again without that and see if I notice any difference.

The Rift S is super sharp compared to the older CV1 though, so if you are saying that the Quest is comparable to the original CV1, then we are probably getting the same or v.similar visuals.

sorry missed this reply... I am using amazon basics cable and no extension cable. No jitters or anything.

As for comparing it to Rift all I can say is (not having used a Rift S) it looked at least as good as my old rift did.

It's taken me a couple of months but I seem to be on a roll with Beat Saber tonight! Managed to get through Hard on several songs without missing more than a couple of blocks then I hit an A rating and my head was buzzing. Sometimes you just hit the zone and can't stop so I went straight onto Expert and managed to finish an entire tune with only a few misses!  Was panting with effort by this stage so switched to Expert+ to see what I could really do... :lol: Oh dear. Not even 1 minute in and the movements were too much.

Was going to buy some music packs but was a bit surprised at some of the prices.. £10 for 10 songs from bands I've never heard of. So gave them a miss. I think what I really like is bashing the sticks around like I'm playing the drums to a perfect beat but very few satisfy that on any of the selection. Just wish they'd get some classic rock on there!  All of this success stopped me from buying The Climb which I'll probably get tomorrow.

If you are using it in Quest mode exclusively then after the initial, fun, setup the HMD is a world apart from PSVR in terms of ease of playing. Basically put it on your head and it's go time. If you are using Link to your PC then it obviously introduces further steps until you're in a game but I'd say it's still a little quicker/simpler than getting a game up and running in PSVR.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, DUKENUKEM2UK said:

Tempted  to purchase one of these but not sure as I have PSVR  the main reason is it takes so long to setup

Any psvr users switched over to this

Yeah, I switched over due to cable madness. However, I still hold onto the PSVR due to the odd exclusive game like Blood and Truth. The bluriness is also more noticeable when I go back.

14 hours ago, Lorfarius said:

It's taken me a couple of months but I seem to be on a roll with Beat Saber tonight! Managed to get through Hard on several songs without missing more than a couple of blocks then I hit an A rating and my head was buzzing. Sometimes you just hit the zone and can't stop so I went straight onto Expert and managed to finish an entire tune with only a few misses!  Was panting with effort by this stage so switched to Expert+ to see what I could really do... :lol: Oh dear. Not even 1 minute in and the movements were too much.

Was going to buy some music packs but was a bit surprised at some of the prices.. £10 for 10 songs from bands I've never heard of. So gave them a miss. I think what I really like is bashing the sticks around like I'm playing the drums to a perfect beat but very few satisfy that on any of the selection. Just wish they'd get some classic rock on there!  All of this success stopped me from buying The Climb which I'll probably get tomorrow.

The Imagine Dragons pack is excellent. I'd never heard of em before but I love every song and the patterns are really satisfying.