Oculus Quest - (Usernames in first post)

Have to say I’m continuing my love affair with the Quest. So much so that I still haven’t bothered organizing for my monster PC to be shipped over from the UK( with huge Steam VR and Rift collection) so that I can try Link. Maybe I will do that for a Christmas present. But with the time I have to play I’m finding the collection so satisfying. 

Recenty, The Under Presents is great, trippy and encountering live actors is a major head fuck. Pistol Whip is so much fun although I have a lot of work to do to get good at it. And I’m really enjoying Espire 1 even though it’s buggy central so may wait for a patch or two before diving back in. 

Three recent games all offering something very different. More people need to get The Under Presents though, it’s bonkers in such a good way!!!!!

oh, and Quake 2 just released. Something to dive into when I complete Half Life VR

Any here who have both the Quest and S able to give me a rundown on a comparison between the two with the Link use for the Quest?  I've been enjoying my Rift S, but am thinking of possibly selling it and getting a Quest if the performance and visual fidelity is comparable. 

I think it's too early to tell at the moment. Using a bog standard amazon basics cable, the Link is slightly worse that the Rift. Performance is decent enough once Oculus Home loads up, but I've had the occasional stutter which could get annoying in things like Beat Saber. Overall I thought the performance was acceptable.

Visual quality is where it needs more work for me. The Link looks less sharp than the Rift - it's not quite as bad as going back to the CV1 but it's noticeable. It's possible that this is a beta software or cable issue, and things will improve. For now though I won't be getting rid of my Rift S.

scanning around it seems mileage varies ALOT.

In contrast I get no jitter at all once it settles down on connection and I don't see much in the way of smeariness etc to visuals. LAtency seems ok, virtual desktop quotes 40ms of latency to the HMD when I use it. Certainly I don't notice any when I swing my head around rapidly. 

I used to have a Rift and I can't see difference between it and Quest. i don't have a rift S to compare.

I am on an i7-7700k with a gtx1070 and 16gb of ram

Which cable are you using? I agree there are a lot of variables. FWIW my PC is an i7 6700K/16GB/GTX 1080Ti. I forgot to mention I was using an extension cable as well - might try it again without that and see if I notice any difference.

The Rift S is super sharp compared to the older CV1 though, so if you are saying that the Quest is comparable to the original CV1, then we are probably getting the same or v.similar visuals.

4 hours ago, Thor said:

Any here who have both the Quest and S able to give me a rundown on a comparison between the two with the Link use for the Quest?  I've been enjoying my Rift S, but am thinking of possibly selling it and getting a Quest if the performance and visual fidelity is comparable. 

Wouldn't bother, the Quest is far too expensive and a better unit will be out within a year no doubt :P.

Sorry couldn't resist...

Oof, Pistol Whip's a bit tasty, eh. Music's a bit naff but that's par for the course these days isn't it.

What are the other essentials for this? I've had this sat on the windowsill since it came out, pretty much, but have spent a couple of hours on it today and am conscious I've probably missed a load of stuff. I've got a cable turning up tomorrow for Oculus Link so I can give Asgard's Wrath a whirl, but is there any other Quest-specific stuff I need to be on top of?

Essential kind of depends on what other VR platforms you have/had. In my opinion though the essentials are:

Beat Saber

Superhot

Pistol Whip

Then recommended would be:

Shadow Point

Moss

Red Matter

Racket NX

Rec Room (because it's free)

Then set up SideQuest and get

Half Life VR

Quake/Quake2 VR

Tea for God

Moss, Moss and more Moss. I've played loads and that's had the most effect on me as a VR game, wonderful and fun experience that really pulls you into the world.

I'm going to start recording some footage and doing footage for Youtube again, been years since I did any VR stuff and quite looking forward to showing off some madness. 

Cheers all. Should probably have mentioned that I either own or have had pretty much every platform so far, so looking for new/exclusive stuff mainly (though I haven't touched anything Oculus since the first Rift). I'll definitely be grabbing Superhot – I've played it before but I assume it's going to be a whole extra level of excellent with a wireless set-up (I hated Beat Saber until I played it on Quest, for instance). Will check a few of the others mentioned out, too. Ta!

Does anyone know anything about making VR games or stuff in Unreal for VR?  I'm no coder or graphic artist but I've a few ideas I'd love to try out, is there some sort of mountable graphics engine that lets you just go nuts and create? I'm guessing but maybe with Unreal engine you could import graphical assets to build say a series or rooms or area?

I just want to play around and create stuff :lol: Not go on a mad adventure to create the next Half Life!

5 minutes ago, Lorfarius said:

Does anyone know anything about making VR games or stuff in Unreal for VR?  I'm no coder or graphic artist but I've a few ideas I'd love to try out, is there some sort of mountable graphics engine that lets you just go nuts and create? I'm guessing but maybe with Unreal engine you could import graphical assets to build say a series or rooms or area?

I just want to play around and create stuff :lol: Not go on a mad adventure to create the next Half Life!

Great question! I was thinking the same thing myself a while back.... My final year project at Uni all those years ago (97!!!) was to make an interactive 3D model of our computer and maths building. All I had back then was VRML to do it in.... Remember walking about taking photos for the texture maps etc. Couldn't get the interactive bits working properly though. Looking back it was a fun project even if I didn't get a amazing grade for it..... Love to revisit something like that now with the tech we have now!

Doesn't Unity have some tools out there? Just had a quick Google yep... Seems to be lots of info out there...

Might be buying a Occulus Quest sooner than I think! :)

There's a Humble Bundle available for the next few days that comes with a bunch of resources for learning to use Unreal, including an online introductory course to VR development. Probably a decent starting point for just over £15.

@Lorfarius have you messed around with creating rooms in Rec Room or anything like that? Might be more the sort of recreational, coding-free experience you're after.

1 hour ago, PopeSmokesDope said:

wowsers! it turned up today and ive already managed to punch my desk 6 times!

So much better than the Occulus dev kit 1!

Just need to find a cable for link now, the one I bought doesn seem to work...

This works for me. Also try updating all of your drivers before buying another lead:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B017COHTJ6/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1