rllmuk
Paulando

Oculus Quest - (Usernames in first post)

Think Hardbattle already has the Quest and was talking about a laptop.

I think for VR and the Quest specifically you need to be looking at either a 1070 or 1660 powered machine at least. If it has either of those then it's pretty likely to have an up to snuff cpu. Check on reviews for thermals and throttling and from my own experience bigger is usually better on that score. Ultra thin models seem to throttle pretty severely. I have an Alienware R3 and can game all day without throttling but then that's because it's a tank with great cooling. It's a pity that Oculus aren't verifying the 1060 6GB in that as it'll run a Rift S pretty well and has all the needed ports to do so.

I'm sure musashi will be along to call you crazy for not buying a desktop and blabber about thermals and hair dryers but that guy chats a load so ignore. Just look for good reviews.

Will have my cable tomorrow and although I'll be gaming on a 2080Ti with my Quest I'll certainly be giving my laptop a whirl and report if I'm successful with a 1060 laptop gpu. That would open up a lot more purchasing options if it's a goer.

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, amc said:

Think Hardbattle already has the Quest and was talking about a laptop.

Oh, I wasn't talking about buying a laptop originally. The cost/performance ratio would be too heavily skewed toward the former for me for a VR-ready system I wouldn't need to upgrade within a couple of years. Sorry, @Hardbattle!

25 minutes ago, Clipper said:

Seen that as being reported as working. Probably should have went for that myself and saved a quid. If no joy with the one I've went for I'll be trying that one. 

*Oh my mistake, it's the same price.

Seeing reports of the Link working with a lot more cards than Oculus have verified, stuff like 780s etc.  Not optimal experiences but still working. It's definitely a case of Nvidia Gysnc/Freesync and non verified monitors working fine. Bodes well for my 1060.

I've given Link a quick try using the recommended 3M Anker cable. I'll need to download some PC VR games to give it a proper test, but I haven't noticed any dropped frames or artifacting when messing around the Oculus and SteamVR tutorials or Google Earth VR.

One nice thing about the Anker cable is that it comes with a Velcro cable-tie attached which can be used to easily secure the wire to the rear of the headset, making it run down behind you. I suspect an angled USC-C adaptor would help, too, as otherwise the cable juts out to the side. It isn't the lightest or most flexible cable – I don't believe any this length are – so you'll definitely want to spend some time working out proper cable management.

Initial impression: I can play Half-Life: Alyx like this.

also I uninstalled Oculus when I got rid of my rift - do I just need to reinstall the oculus software and download my library again? it wont ask for Rift headset I assume.

The Quest Link will work with a 1070 all day long. Can't comment on the software side as I've never had a Rift S, although I was a little confused setting up my Quest on my phone due to already having a Gear VR. Sorted it now but it definitely seemed a little amateurish and left me with two separate apps that don't seem to acknowledge each other yet both do the same thing. That's on Android of course.

13 hours ago, DeciderVT said:

Everyone says that you should go for the 64GB version but I'm a complete gimp that wants the biggest storage capacity available, so it'll probably be the 128GB version for me. :lol:

I've had mine for several months and still have around 75GB free, most games are only a couple of GB in size so you will be really hard pushed to fill the 128GB even if you wanted to!  I'd say save some money if you can and buy some more games with the change.

• Upvote 1

Yeah I can't see any point in having the 128GB one, unless you are going to be storing loads of ... ahmmmm... 'movies' on it. Much better to spend that 100 quid on games, or save it for the Oculus link cable when it comes out.

Yay I'm in. Can confirm the cable I linked to above is compatible with Quest Link. Didn't notice before but my mobo has a myriad of USB ports, several blue USB 3 a few standard USB 2? , USB C and a couple of what I have attached the Quest cable to, these being red and marked as USB 3.1. Whether that has any bearing I couldn't say. Will try my laptop later.

Now to spend spend spend.

Wow this works perfectly. Very, very impressed.

• Upvote 1

Mine works too - 3m Amazon basics

the front usbs on my pc connected but kept losing connection - I assume not high enough spec cable from mobo to front socket for a High demand device. Switched to rear usb3 socket and it has been rock solid. 

Tested rez and Star Trek bridge commander and mine craft - all felt same as using normal rift!

will try steamvr games later

I played 20 mins (went in a bit deep for such an intense game, full motion and noise cancelling headphones lol) of Asgard's Wrath and although I can't compare to Rift I have used VR enough to know it was a premo experience. No drops, no visual or audio imperfections and with regards to the game, WOW. It looks and feels incredible.

Anyway, will take any further PC software posts to the Rift thread. 

Last word, it works beyond what I was expecting.

and now not working - went back to oculus PC software and it needed to update drivers and software so I let it.

Now I just get this message when I connect the quest up

a quest software update is required for oculus link. Install the update from the About section of your settings in your headset

with no indication within quest of how to ask for an update or even if there is one!

10 minutes ago, Clipper said:

and now not working - went back to oculus PC software and it needed to update drivers and software so I let it.

Now I just get this message when I connect the quest up

a quest software update is required for oculus link. Install the update from the About section of your settings in your headset

with no indication within quest of how to ask for an update or even if there is one!

This, maybe?

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, amc said:

I played 20 mins (went in a bit deep for such an intense game, full motion and noise cancelling headphones lol) of Asgard's Wrath and although I can't compare to Rift I have used VR enough to know it was a premo experience. No drops, no visual or audio imperfections and with regards to the game, WOW. It looks and feels incredible.

Anyway, will take any further PC software posts to the Rift thread. 

Last word, it works beyond what I was expecting.

Sounds like the official cable is pointless. I'm going for the one you bought!

1 hour ago, DeciderVT said:

This, maybe?

yep thanks - turns out that was it - and yet yesterday the instruction was to switch PTC on 

Anyway switching it off downgraded it to work again.

Tested SteamVR - project cars and Elite Dangerous - both perfect as if using oculus rift. This is a massive bonus for QUest adopters! THe amazon basics cable works just fine but obviously no angled plug but I tend to do seated stuff on PC anyway. The cable does take some getting used to but it is less bulky than the Rift Cable (thicker) or the PSVR cable (inline box and thicker)

I need to familiarise myself with the PC VR market once more (my rift crapped out on me early last year so I guess I have missed some stuff!)

8 hours ago, Clipper said:

yep thanks - turns out that was it - and yet yesterday the instruction was to switch PTC on 

Anyway switching it off downgraded it to work again.

Tested SteamVR - project cars and Elite Dangerous - both perfect as if using oculus rift. This is a massive bonus for QUest adopters! THe amazon basics cable works just fine but obviously no angled plug but I tend to do seated stuff on PC anyway. The cable does take some getting used to but it is less bulky than the Rift Cable (thicker) or the PSVR cable (inline box and thicker)

I need to familiarise myself with the PC VR market once more (my rift crapped out on me early last year so I guess I have missed some stuff!)

Puzzling decision to release a Link-breaking update the day after the beta goes live! How would you say image quality over Link and FOV compares with PSVR? I haven't seen any comparisons yet and PSVR is my only VR experience so far.

It said in the update notes for 11 that you could change the home envirnoment in Settings. But I've been over that with a fine toothcomb and it isn't there as an option.

2 hours ago, DeciderVT said:

Puzzling decision to release a Link-breaking update the day after the beta goes live! How would you say image quality over Link and FOV compares with PSVR? I haven't seen any comparisons yet and PSVR is my only VR experience so far.

Ok well a mix here of raw specs and real world experience as I have used both quite a bit (and original Rift),

Resolution and refresh side of image quality - 

QUest is 1600x1440 per eye and 72hz

PSVR is 960 x 1080 per eye and 90 or 120hz

An easy win for Quest here and the difference is night and day. Even in portable mode Quest is crisper by far than PSVR - altho mileage varies on each game as obviously it is power of PS4 vs a mobile snapdragon 835 chipset. I can't think of a game on portable quest that looks worse than PSVR - the latter can look muddy and blurry comparitively. Plug a Quest into a PC and you get the grunt to completely stomp all over PSVR resolution wise, super sharp and sharper than original Rift as well. The refresh is an issue for some but not me although I can tell the refresh is a little smoother on PSVR when the games use 120hz mode (Polybius!). 

Image quality with pixels and screen door - 

Both PSVR and Quest  are oled with pentile "pixels" which means god rays and screen door are minimal on both (an issue with Rift - not at all sure on Vive). Score draw but increased res etc above means Quest wins.

FOV and usage comfort -

PSVR FOV 100 degrees and Quest is 90 degrees. 

I notice that Quest feels more like looking at the world through "goggles" than PSVR as a result of that. This effect is a flaw that all headsets have but Quest is the worst for it so I feel my peripheral vision is worse there. Comfort wise the PSVR wins as the weight of the Quest is higher and has negative effect in my experience. However Quest is portable.

Other bits and bobs - 

Quest controllers are much better and you don't need a camera for tracking etc. tracking is superb with very little setup needed. Persoanlly I find PSVR hit and miss

I won't get rid of PSVR for one reason - exclusives. Stuff like Astro Bot is just great and the only way I'll get rid of PSVR is if the exclusives or timed exclusives stop coming

When it comes down to it the ability to use it portably is still the USP for the Quest. The ability to plug it into a PC and have it as a full featured headset is a game changer as it means that it gives best of both worlds. Of all my VR purchases (Rift, then added touch,  PSVR and now Quest) Quest is the one that excites me the most and I have used way more than the others. 

If you need to know anything else then feel free to ask but that covers the major points I can think of.

• Upvote 2

Looking to get this for my Son for Crimbo,was initially against it, but the ability to use it with a pc has swung me (especially with ms flight sim coming out!)

I take it theres very little point going for the 128gb version now it can effectively be tethered to a pc and run normal pc games instead of using the onboard storage and completly mobile version?

26 minutes ago, PopeSmokesDope said:

Looking to get this for my Son for Crimbo,was initially against it, but the ability to use it with a pc has swung me (especially with ms flight sim coming out!)

I take it theres very little point going for the 128gb version now it can effectively be tethered to a pc and run normal pc games instead of using the onboard storage and completly mobile version?

there never was  a compelling reason to get 128gb unless you wanted to own the whole library and carry it round with you.

It should be noted that Quest games need to be on the headset and cannot be run on PC remotely - you run "rift" games on PC with QUest tethered though yes.

Just got Quest link working and its pretty impressive!  Looks like my CV1 is now retired! 

Steam games , occulus games and quest games all running through one reasonably priced headset is pretty amazing.

Yeah, I've enjoyed using my other HMDs, PSVR, a couple of different Gear VR iterations but the Quest, even(especially?) untethered, is amazing. I can't wait for the day when all gaming in VR is as simple as the Quest. Just the initial setup was awesome. The controls, tracking, the amazing Guardian setting and all wireless, it's how I'd dreamed VR would be. Now add the fantastic Link for unparalleled choice and Oculus is onto a winner.  

Only the lower refresh is the spanner but tbh I haven't noticed it compared to PSVR gaming. Is Polybius the outlier with regards to 120 hz?

2 hours ago, Clipper said:

If you need to know anything else then feel free to ask but that covers the major points I can think of.

Thanks! I've been doing a lot of homework on the Quest, but it was the performance over Link versus PSVR I hadn't been able to find out about. Simply being better than PSVR is my baseline for acceptable PCVR but Rift S quite stupidly doesn't support my IPD, so I was a bit stuck unless I want to spend a fortune on something like an Index basically. Quest ticks some of the right boxes for me but I also really like the PSVR's halo design and I'm always wary of Android-based portable tech without user-replaceable batteries, as I'd want the Quest to have a lifespan longer than the average smartphone. With that said, I'm probably more likely to want to play longer, tethered experiences like Skyrim, as I don't have an interest in games like Beat Saber. PC-based play over Link as it supports my IPD is my primary interest, with portability being a bonus.

Sorry to drag the conversation away from the Link but has anyone give The Under Presents a go? It seems really intriguing. It's being described as an interactive theatre experience and if you play it early on you are actually likely to meet NPCs being played live by real actors. It's £14.99 so think I might give it a go.

8 minutes ago, DeciderVT said:

Thanks! I've been doing a lot of homework on the Quest, but it was the performance over Link versus PSVR I hadn't been able to find out about. Simply being better than PSVR is my baseline for acceptable PCVR but Rift S quite stupidly doesn't support my IPD, so I was a bit stuck unless I want to spend a fortune on something like an Index basically. Quest ticks some of the right boxes for me but I also really like the PSVR's halo design and I'm always wary of Android-based portable tech without user-replaceable batteries, as I'd want the Quest to have a lifespan longer than the average smartphone. With that said, I'm probably more likely to want to play longer, tethered experiences like Skyrim, as I don't have an interest in games like Beat Saber. PC-based play over Link as it supports my IPD is my primary interest, with portability being a bonus.

tricky one - the PSVR headset is more comfy than Quest but the blurriness is hard to stomach when you have seen better on PCVR.

Quest link is in its infancy but so far I have seen no flaws compared to normal Rift which I used to have. And that is with 3m amazon basics cable. 

• Upvote 1

On 20/11/2019 at 10:12, metallicfrodo said:

Yeah I can't see any point in having the 128GB one, unless you are going to be storing loads of ... ahmmmm... 'movies' on it. Much better to spend that 100 quid on games, or save it for the Oculus link cable when it comes out.

I bought the 128gb and im glad i did. 

If you have to delete games then it deletes your save for said game as well.