rllmuk
Paulando

Oculus Quest - (Usernames in first post)

Has anyone picked up Synth Riders? It seems to be quite well liked but it doesn't scream out 'buy me' when I watch videos of it (which I know really isn't a great way to judge VR games)

I suppose I could just buy it and refund it if I don't like it.

18 hours ago, amc said:

Just checked and Robo is cross buy. So many boss looking games that I want right now dammit but buying the Quest and a new pair of trainers has left me skint. I could throw them on my card but I get paid in a few days so will just make do with demos etc until Friday then have a software blowout. I might take it over to a friends place when I've made the purchases as they like games but basically only play COD and Fifa on PS4, I know for a fact that this thing will blow their mind. It's the perfect tech to plonk in a bag and show off to people.

The best thing about VR is showing VR to people.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, metallicfrodo said:

Has anyone picked up Synth Riders? It seems to be quite well liked but it doesn't scream out 'buy me' when I watch videos of it (which I know really isn't a great way to judge VR games)

I suppose I could just buy it and refund it if I don't like it.

I did and refunded it :lol: It's basically Beat Saber without the weapons, you need to do a lot more movement too and I felt like I'd have to be a gymnast to do the higher skill levels.

Decided to get Racket: NX instead as someone here (sorry can't remember who) was praising it highly. Have to say it is indeed really very good and is another game that shows off the beauty of an untethered system. I'm really quite sweaty now and as I'm currently attempting to fight off man flu it probably wasn't the best game to play as I now feel quite light headed. Can see how, if you are any good it must be amazing in multiplayer.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, metallicfrodo said:

Decided to get Racket: NX instead as someone here (sorry can't remember who) was praising it highly. Have to say it is indeed really very good and is another game that shows off the beauty of an untethered system. I'm really quite sweaty now and as I'm currently attempting to fight off man flu it probably wasn't the best game to play as I now feel quite light headed. Can see how, if you are any good it must be amazing in multiplayer.

Glad you liked it - I think it was me that recommend it :) give me a shout if you want to try multiplayer.

16 hours ago, metallicfrodo said:

I bought a set of these to play because I couldn't stop slinging the remotes off in the excitement:

https://www.kiwidesign.shop/collections/vr-accessories/products/q1-controller-strip-for-oculus-rift-s-oculus-quest-black

Dirt cheap and they glue them to your wrist, make for the perfect add on for physical games.

Pistol Whip might just be up there as one of the systems best. Really difficult to get into the rhyme of it but just being able to hold your gun with one hand, balance it on your wrist, arm etc. makes you feel like a super spy.  It is a weird mix of Super Hot and Beat Saber but luckily you don't have to get every hit on the beat to continue. Seen a lot of complaints about it being really knackering to play but once I figured out its all about moving your head and wrist, not your full body to avoid shots it becomes much easier to play.

It is crying out for a shotgun, many a time I was faced by hordes of enemies in tight spaces and wanted Super Hot's widespread gun but it is what it is :lol: The trailer and Youtube footage don't do enough to show what it's like, all in that grip and shooting! Loads of fun.

• Upvote 1

Spent a few hours on Saturday night watching 180VR videos on youtube, and looking at some of the apps that you can find in the browser. I hadn't really looked at the browser much before but there is a section on the homepage where you open the browser where it has links to interesting stuff. Found a few VR browser games which were interesting. If you haven't ever watched 180VR videos they really are worth checking out. They are different to the 360 ones which just look like the image is projected on a big dome around you, these one actually look like real 3D and are very convincing at times.

Having watched a load of 180VR videos now I'm really really tempted to buy a combined 360/180VR camera. Got my eye on the Insta360 EVO, so going to look out for any deals around black friday.

• Upvote 1

On a separate note thought I'd share a few of youtubers that I find pretty good for Quest info.

Virtual Reality Oasis - Covers lots of VR stuff (so not just Quest) and varies between news type videos and more indepth looks at games/features.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCsmk8NDVMct75j_Bfb9Ah7w

Eric For President - Covers general VR news although does seem to concentrate a lot on Quest (although that might just be what the news happens to be about at the moment). His videos are generally five stories you missed in the last few days and he's pretty concise and to the point and doesn't feel the necessity to pad videos to over 10 mins to get the ad revenue.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPukkSZc3zIje9XO9s6M1YQ

Think - Focuses on the Quest and has a lot of reviews and playthroughs including a weekly news roundup. I'm not overly taken by his style but it's a good place if you are looking for Quest specific updates or just interested in looking at gameplay.

https://www.youtube.com/user/PyroProductionsME

• Upvote 2

Didn't realise that Last Labyrinth was released on Tuesday. At 30 quid I'm not going to take the plunge without seeing any reviews of it, and currently I can't find any.

Also weirdly Pistol Whip is now a pound more expensive than it was last week.

What I will might be buying today when it goes up on the store is The Curious Tale of the Stolen Pets which looks lovely and is only £10.99. However it seems to be quite short as supposedly you can complete it in an hour...

PC link Beta is go. My PC is well in spec so hopefully one of my fairly long USB 3 type C cables will allow me to give it a whirl in a bit. Not sure whether to buy a supported cable or the official Oculus one when released.

2 minutes ago, amc said:

PC link Beta is go. My PC is well in spec so hopefully one of my fairly long USB 3 cables will allow me to give it a whirl in a bit. Not sure whether to buy a supported cable or the official Oculus one when released.

I’m so tempted to buy a gaming laptop just for VR with my quest and a link cable. Does anybody have any recommendations on which laptop to get? I know a desktop is the way to go, but I can’t really stick one of those under a table in my lounge without the wife kicking up a fuss  :) 

I have an Alienware laptop here with an I5 and a 1060 6GB that has all the ports and is certified for VR. Unfortunately the Quest PC Link, atm anyway, is starting at a 1070 for laptops and no AMD card support. Luckily I have an I9 2080Ti desktop but I would have liked the option to hook it into the laptop, especially when visiting people.

It's probably only a matter of time until they include the 1060 laptop cards, maybe the 9 series and definitely AMD cards. So at the minute if you are looking to pair the Quest with a PC the starting point is a Nvidia 1070 for a laptop.

The Link beta is up and running but still no confirmed release date for the lead. You can buy a 3m one here for £6.99 if you can't wait any longer. Video shows it in full:

Link

25 minutes ago, metallicfrodo said:

The link supports Rift compatible Steam VR games so I would think it’s likely. Assuming it isn’t index exclusive obviously.

The link? That means connecting it to a desktop? I only have a mid range laptop 

5 minutes ago, fattakin said:

The link? That means connecting it to a desktop? I only have a mid range laptop 

yeah the link is a cable that will allow you to play PC VR games  on the quest via the cable.  

Ah sorry I misread what you meant. I thought when you said ‘this supporting’ you were referring to the link (as it was after a post about the link) as opposed to the Quest itself.

I very much doubt this will come out natively for the Quest as I’m guessing it’s really going to be very graphically and physics intensive. Although I know nothing about the game bar its name. I just basing that on it being a new Half Life game.

I'm out of luck with having a compatible cable for Link and the Anker cable that's a goer on Amazon has sold out of the 10ft job, only the 6ft left in stock. That's too short so I'll be spending the day reading and searching for alternatives. 

On another note I recently bought the boxing game that everyone likes and boy is it a workout, great fun. I don't have much software due to waiting for this PC Link and exploring cross-buy but I'm still blown away buy the initial setup stuff. The shooting game with the stretchy laser gun has taken up a good chunk of my playtime.

Quest Link will almost certainly be compatible with Half Life Alyx.

Went for this 10ft cable as read reports of it working fine. https://smile.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B017COHTJ6/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 Comes tomorrow so will report back. Reading peoples impressions over on Reddit has got me pumped, it's getting awesome feedback and people are confirming it works in Steam VR so HL Alyx seems a done deal.

Really hope that it works with my laptop 1060 6GB. It would be amazing having such a portable VR setup for visits (of course the Quest is already an awesome VR setup for visits but extra choice will just make it even more awesomer). Have read reports of people having luck on RX580 cards so although Oculus aren't claiming compatibility people are having success. Perhaps it's similar to Nvidia Gsync and how they don't provide any compatibility confirmation for a non certified Freesync display. I've had perfect luck with that on a couple of Freesync non certified monitors.

Fucking love the Quest.

• Upvote 1

Just ordered the 6ft version of the Anker cable. My computer is in a little box room so I won't be able to move further than that allows anyway.

Great news that it's working fine on Steam from the off.

49 minutes ago, metallicfrodo said:

Really looking forward to forumites experiences with this, I need to get a new laptop for work and am seriously considering getting. a VR ready one now. Would love to play Asgard’s Wrath.

Same here, I'm on the brink of buying one as it's the only headset compatible with my IPD I can really afford. Encouraging signs from the subreddits so far but I'm waiting for a more measured appraisal from someone here before I pull the trigger.

2 hours ago, DeciderVT said:

Same here, I'm on the brink of buying one as it's the only headset compatible with my IPD I can really afford. Encouraging signs from the subreddits so far but I'm waiting for a more measured appraisal from someone here before I pull the trigger.

Which one are you looking at? I’m in a similar boat, but no clue what to go for :)

4 minutes ago, Hardbattle said:

Which one are you looking at? I’m in a similar boat, but no clue what to go for :)

Everyone says that you should go for the 64GB version but I'm a complete gimp that wants the biggest storage capacity available, so it'll probably be the 128GB version for me. :lol: