rllmuk
Paulando

Oculus Quest - (Usernames in first post)

I still can't do mission 11 on Beat Sabre. No matter how many tries I go at it just can't do enough movement and get through the song, its insanely hard. Even tried deleting the game and restarting the entire campaign but its like a brick wall :(

I think you just have to keep moving all the time. So even when you are going for a hit with one arm you want to be flailing the other around all the time! It is stupid, although not quite as stupid as the 'only move a short distance ones'.

Check out this video for the amount of flailing you should be doing

Bought a couple of Go games to try on the Quest, A Night Sky (which was free, although there is DLC) and Land's End which was £3.99

The free content in a Night Sky is okay, it look lovely (due to the graphical style) but there really isn't anything to it (5-10 mins probably), it's very much an experience. Although I believe the DLC adds some mini games (they are 79p for each extra bit of content) but I wasn't exactly chomping at the bit to purchase them after the free section.

Land's End I'm really torn on. It's got a lovely aesthetic reminding me of things like Journey and RiME. It's had 6DoF added for the Quest but you control it completely by looking at things, i.e. the contollers do nothing (well you can use the stick to turn around if you don't have the option to do that physcially). Traversal is done by looking a dots and you then float over to them. You have to then connect points to power things and there is some light puzzling (very very light to be honest). Slightly later on you can move things by looking at them and then pulling them around with your gaze. I enjoyed all of it and I think the atmosphere is great but it just never really gets going. I think it took me 30 mins to see all of it, and the puzzles never really got going. It's a game that I feel had massive potential but then seems like no one could be bothered to put the effort in. If I had paid 2 quid for it I think I would have felt it was worth the money but still been equally irritated that such a great premise had been wasted.

The one thing I did try which I haven't done before was Next VR. It's a collection of proper VR videos, not the 360 stuff you tend to get on YouTube where you feel like you're in an IMax, but proper VR in that you actually feel like you are there. There are all kinds of stuff on there from sports videos (sit in the crowd at wimbledon) to standup routines to Entertaiment Programs. It's all very impressive (if you watch the Hi-Res ones), however what felt really weird to me was scale issues. When you watch something on TV or in the cinema it doesn't really matter if someone is massive or small, you know how it works. However when the people look almost real it's really weird if they are dinky. Also at points they just need to get out of your personal space! Anyway really worth getting if you haven't already watched this type of stuff (Next VR is free and has loads of free content in it).

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Lorfarius said:

I still can't do mission 11 on Beat Sabre. No matter how many tries I go at it just can't do enough movement and get through the song, its insanely hard. Even tried deleting the game and restarting the entire campaign but its like a brick wall :(

Seriously, I’ve you’re not lying on the floor panting and sweating at the end of it you’re not putting enough effort in.

Literally give it Kermit the Frog non-stop, as fast and hard as you can, remembering to hit the odd block to avoid failing.

And if you’re struggling there, there’s one a bit later that 

Spoiler

needs about twice as far. :lol:

Good luck.

• Empathy 1

Completed Red Matter yesterday, great game. It really nails the atmosphere and while being tense fortunately there aren't ever any jump scares which (being the wimp I am when it comes to those things) would have forced me to stop playing.

It's graphically very impressive for a Quest game and the music and sound effects are great (there is one tune that is very much inspired by star wars). The puzzles themselves aren't that hard but do get you thinking and moving around the areas. Movement is interesting, you can use smooth locomotion (although not on the thumb sticks as they are used for something else) but I found that the teleportation (it's actually a kind of jet pack flying) actually suited the game better (and at points you have to use it). Not sure how long it took me to complete but I didn't feel short changed for the 18 quid it costs.

I think Shadow Point is the better of the adventure puzzle games I've played on the Quest but if have already completed that and are looking for something in the same mold (although with a completely different graphical style and feel) then I'd recommend this.

Think I'm going to pick up Apex Construct next.

• Upvote 1

On 19/10/2019 at 15:58, metallicfrodo said:

The one thing I did try which I haven't done before was Next VR. It's a collection of proper VR videos, not the 360 stuff you tend to get on YouTube where you feel like you're in an IMax, but proper VR in that you actually feel like you are there. There are all kinds of stuff on there from sports videos (sit in the crowd at wimbledon) to standup routines to Entertaiment Programs. It's all very impressive (if you watch the Hi-Res ones), however what felt really weird to me was scale issues. When you watch something on TV or in the cinema it doesn't really matter if someone is massive or small, you know how it works. However when the people look almost real it's really weird if they are dinky. Also at points they just need to get out of your personal space! Anyway really worth getting if you haven't already watched this type of stuff (Next VR is free and has loads of free content in it).

Cheers for this. Tried it yesterday and it really is as impressive as you said.

Casting really has improved with the latest update. I tested it out last night to a 2nd gen Chromecast and it worked perfectly. Even the audio worked fine, although it's best to turn that down due to the slight delay. Pretty impressive though, considering it used to drop out regularly before. Now they just need to fix the wifi disconnect bug.

• Upvote 1

There's an issue if you have a router than uses a shared SSID for the 2.4/5GHz bands. If it tries to swap, the connection just drops. I use the BT whole home wifi discs where you can't separate the bands, which is the standard fix. There is a workaround but you have to enable sideloading.

• Upvote 1

Just picked up Thrill of the Fight.  Out of all the boxing games on Quest this is miles ahead of anything else! I was sweating cobs after 15 minutes play, the boxing is probably as close to real life as you can get and puts the rest to shame  considering this is only £7.99.  It does say you need 2by2 meters to play but I got by with a lot less than that.

I finally beat mission 11 on Beat Saber!!! :blink: Maybe it's been the past day of intense punching on Thrill of the Fight but I'd just scraped through and completed the final song. Imagine my surprise when the next 3 missions were all minimum movement... I meant wtf :mellow:

12c (I think) is about 2.21 seconds long and even with me jiggling my hips with hard any moves I still lost and hit the max. The others were all the same, this bloody campaign.

I take back my recommendation, the aches and pain from boxing like a loon isn't worth it. I can hardly move my arms today :lol: my entire body feels like its been rolled down a hill.

I've just bought one of these from Amazon. I have both a PSVR and an  S9+ powered GearVR and tbh I still haven't got my complete VR legs but with the PC update coming in November and having a powerful PC I've threw caution to the wind.

It's not coming until Thursday so I'm going to ramp up my VR stamina and play some Astrobot and sleep with my GearVR on for a couple of nights.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, amc said:

I've just bought one of these from Amazon. I have both a PSVR and an  S9+ powered GearVR and tbh I still haven't got my complete VR legs but with the PC update coming in November and having a powerful PC I've threw caution to the wind.

It's not coming until Thursday so I'm going to ramp up my VR stamina and play some Astrobot and sleep with my GearVR on for a couple of nights.

Return it and buy the one I'm selling in the trading folder!!

Having said that, I'm tempted to get Thrill of the Fight given the great reviews it's getting.....

1 hour ago, Bushtopher said:

Return it and buy the one I'm selling in the trading folder!!

Having said that, I'm tempted to get Thrill of the Fight given the great reviews it's getting.....

Try it before you get rid. It's awesome and only £7.99.

Thrill of the Fight is a system seller imo. 

Its absolutely brilliant. Being able to transfer my real life skills is brilliant. 

Skint at the moment so not getting the most out the thing in my two weeks of having it, although im still enjoying pokerstars and fucking about in Altspace. Its fun playibg Holograms against Humanity and quizes on altspace. 

Been spending sometime on all of the video apps today and most are quite disappointing. They all look like they've been smeared with vaseline even after downloading them (so no streaming involved), aren't VR cams up to a decent sharp quality?

3 minutes ago, Lorfarius said:

Been spending sometime on all of the video apps today and most are quite disappointing. They all look like they've been smeared with vaseline even after downloading them (so no streaming involved), aren't VR cams up to a decent sharp quality?

Isn’t it because the video is actually stored in a regular, 16:9 format, but heavily distorted, and the VR app ‘un’-distorts it? So, stretches it out basically. Plus you have compression on top of that.

• Upvote 1

Just a heads up, Pistol Whip which looked amazing when shown at E3 is out this coming Thursday (7th). All the feedback from people who’ve played it is very positive and I’ll be in day one. Video below shows gameplay from the Vive Index version.

• Upvote 1

I posted my thoughts on this in the Rift thread by mistake but I'll just say OMFG this thing is the real deal, just messing at the desk at the initial setup had me grinning like a loon, and needing to adjust my brain not to drop the wand when I dropped the blimp's virtual controller. Yeah I know, I should have had the wrist straps on and they're used with every play now but it was actually awesome how tricked my brain was.

I have to be honest in that I've mainly bought this due to the upcoming PC link as I have a very good PC but the software made specifically for the Quest is a real surprise and very high quality. 

Although I'll be using it with a PC in the future the Quest as is is definitely the future of VR. A stand alone HMD with amazing tetherless VR capabilities that gives the best, most seamless VR experience. That's the Quest today so I can't imagine how good future iterations will be.

Has anyone played Superhot on both PSVR and Quest? I have it on PSVR with Moves and it plays ok but if it's a better experience on Quest then I'll double dip as it's a stunning game.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, amc said:

Has anyone played Superhot on both PSVR and Quest? I have it on PSVR with Moves and it plays ok but if it's a better experience on Quest then I'll double dip as it's a stunning game.

Have it on both and it’s a better experience on the Quest, freedom of no tether and much better hand tracking add to what is already an incredible game,

10 minutes ago, metallicfrodo said:

Have it on both and it’s a better experience on the Quest, freedom of no tether and much better hand tracking add to what is already an incredible game,

Yeah, 100% this. It’s like a completely different game on the Quest.

Cheers, I'm going to splash out in a couple of days on a few titles, Superhot, Beat Saber and I quite fancy Robo Recall. Do the games bought specifically for the Quest that have Rift versions unlock their PC counterpart or would I need to purchase them twice?

And after messing with the swing ball and robo dance partner at the desk I can definitely see this being part of my fitness regime. I love all kinds of wacky fitness gear, I have a vibration board a powerball and lots of quirky gear like that, oh and a decent home gym and free weights. I can definitely see myself working up a good sweat with maybe the boxing title. I love anything that gets your heart pumping. 

20 minutes ago, amc said:

Cheers, I'm going to splash out in a couple of days on a few titles, Superhot, Beat Saber and I quite fancy Robo Recall. Do the games bought specifically for the Quest that have Rift versions unlock their PC counterpart or would I need to purchase them twice?. 

It’s on a per title basis. I think it tells you in the store if they are cross buy.

• Upvote 1

Just checked and Robo is cross buy. So many boss looking games that I want right now dammit but buying the Quest and a new pair of trainers has left me skint. I could throw them on my card but I get paid in a few days so will just make do with demos etc until Friday then have a software blowout. I might take it over to a friends place when I've made the purchases as they like games but basically only play COD and Fifa on PS4, I know for a fact that this thing will blow their mind. It's the perfect tech to plonk in a bag and show off to people.

There's enough free stuff to try on the Quest particularly if you're a VR noob like me. I'm adamant that I won't end up with the kind of ridiculous shame pile vs time to play that I have on console. 

So far I've bought

Drunk bar fight 

Vader Ep 1

Wander

Superhot

Pinball FX2

That's plenty to entertain and show off for the time being. 

• Upvote 1